Omar Marmoush

VinceA

16 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Lol nope. 

When Salah was 19 years old he was playing for Al Mokawloon Al Arab in the Egyptian league. Davies at the same age is starting for Bayern Munich. Who knows what the future holds, but I'm sure there are at least a few managers that would take a 19 year old Davies over a 28 year old Salah.

Right now Salah > Davies though this is true!

On 6/23/2020 at 10:06 PM, nolando said:

I did find out he's the first Egyptian to play in the Bundesliga

I'm not sure where you're getting that info, because it's not accurate. Mohamed Zidan didn't just play in the Bundesliga, he won the title with Dortmund in 2011! I believe there are 6 others too - Mohamed Emara, Ahmed Salah Hosny, Radwan Yasser, Gamal Hamza (though he only played a single game), Samir Ibrahim Kamouna, and Hany Guda Ramzy, who was the first Egyptian in the Bundesliga when he went to Werder Bremen in 1994.

As for the Salah vs Davies stuff, I don't think the two are even remotely comparable for an Egyptian. To be clear, I am not but my in-laws are and I've met the extended family back in Egypt. Everyone there loves Salah, even the people (like my father and mother in law) who do not care at all about soccer. When he joined Liverpool, basically the entire country became Liverpool fans and when he inevitably leaves Liverpool, they will probably all switch to whatever team he joins (though that may depend on when he leaves and if he were to return to an Egyptian team). He's pretty much one step down from the Prophet at this point, though older generations may put someone like Aboutrika, Mahmoud El Khatib, or Essam El-Hadary above him.

The point being, managers may take Davies over Salah right now, but an Egyptian would be infinitely more likely to choose to play alongside Salah than alongside Davies. 

7 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

I'm not sure where you're getting that info, because it's not accurate. Mohamed Zidan didn't just play in the Bundesliga, he won the title with Dortmund in 2011! I believe there are 6 others too - Mohamed Emara, Ahmed Salah Hosny, Radwan Yasser, Gamal Hamza (though he only played a single game), Samir Ibrahim Kamouna, and Hany Guda Ramzy, who was the first Egyptian in the Bundesliga when he went to Werder Bremen in 1994.

As for the Salah vs Davies stuff, I don't think the two are even remotely comparable for an Egyptian. To be clear, I am not but my in-laws are and I've met the extended family back in Egypt. Everyone there loves Salah, even the people (like my father and mother in law) who do not care at all about soccer. When he joined Liverpool, basically the entire country became Liverpool fans and when he inevitably leaves Liverpool, they will probably all switch to whatever team he joins (though that may depend on when he leaves and if he were to return to an Egyptian team). He's pretty much one step down from the Prophet at this point, though older generations may put someone like Aboutrika, Mahmoud El Khatib, or Essam El-Hadary above him.

The point being, managers may take Davies over Salah right now, but an Egyptian would be infinitely more likely to choose to play alongside Salah than alongside Davies. 

My apologies. It was in one of the Google translated articles I read. Clearly my mistake.

Got a half hour sub appearance against Bayern today, didn’t do much though. 

I think he’s a guy who we have to expect will end up playing for Egypt and can’t get too excited for. The way I look at it, we didn’t know he existed until a few days ago so it’s a bonus that there’s suddenly another dual national. If he plays for us that’s great but if not, it won’t be devastating like losing Tomori or Cristante. 

5 hours ago, Bdog said:

Got a half hour sub appearance against Bayern today, didn’t do much though. 

I think he’s a guy who we have to expect will end up playing for Egypt and can’t get too excited for. The way I look at it, we didn’t know he existed until a few days ago so it’s a bonus that there’s suddenly another dual national. If he plays for us that’s great but if not, it won’t be devastating like losing Tomori or Cristante. 

With the state of our cb’s,  the tomori one devastates me a bit

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

Marmoush enters the Europa League game vs. Shaktar Donetsk and the commentator refers to him as Canadian (twice), maybe there’s hope.

The more talent the better, so of course I hope we get him on board, but will that prove more difficult in today's world? 

Canada and Egypt are not so different in terms of quality now-a-days, but as far as I know he has never lived here or spent much time here. How much more will such things matter now?

Would he fancy more opportunities to play in his homeland of Egypt, where his family probably still live, or would he prefer to travel across the Atlantic to play in Canada?

Edited by Obinna

12 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Since I'm too lazy to look back... what's his connection to Canada? Did he grow up here? I see he was born in Egypt and has not played in Canada before. At least not with a professional team

The only connection to Canada I found is the Bundesliga website stating he has Canadian citizenship 

Edited by Nate3322

55 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The more talent the better, so of course I hope we get him on board, but will that prove more difficult in today's world? 

Canada and Egypt are not so different in terms of quality now-a-days, but as far as I know he has never lived here or spent much time here. How much more will such things matter now?

Would he fancy more opportunities to play in his homeland of Egypt, where his family probably still live, or would he prefer to travel across the Atlantic to play in Canada?

I’m not sure what his thoughts are re: considering playing for Canada. I don’t recall seeing any interviews online with him either, but I could  be mistaken.

However, I’m sure Herdman, Biello and company have to take a chance at recruiting Marmoush. He’s playing in a top 5 league in Europe, albeit mostly in a substitute role but he’s still very young and will undoubtedly improve over the next few years.

Would he be the #1 dual national on our wish list at this point? Maybe it’s Kadioglu or Ferreira. 1,2 or all 3 make us substantially better. 

17 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

I’m not sure what his thoughts are re: considering playing for Canada. I don’t recall seeing any interviews online with him either, but I could  be mistaken.

However, I’m sure Herdman, Biello and company have to take a chance at recruiting Marmoush. He’s playing in a top 5 league in Europe, albeit mostly in a substitute role but he’s still very young and will undoubtedly improve over the next few years.

Would he be the #1 dual national on our wish list at this point? Maybe it’s Kadioglu or Ferreira. 1,2 or all 3 make us substantially better. 

I would take all 3, but slight edge goes to Kadioglu.

Same age, but much more experience. 61 games and 11 goals split between the first and second Dutch divisions. Now he has 19 league games with Fenerbache under his belt, with 4 goals. That's pretty good.

Moreover, he's an attacking midfielder (supposedly). We are more short on those than we are forwards.

I have only seen highlights on Kadioglu and nothing of Marmoush, so my opinion is not that informed I guess.

I would pick both of them over Ferreira though, that's for sure. 

I don't know about Marmoush, but I am certainly not optimistic on Kadioglu. We are almost certainly his 3rd choice. We cannot compete with the Dutch and he plays in Turkey, so not much to be hopeful about in my opinion. Maybe chances are slighly better for Marmoush? 

My main point is around the travel uncertainty given the covid response of governments all over the world. Does this hurt our recruitment of this guy? Does it hurt our recruitment of the others as well?

Edited by Obinna

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

My main point is around the travel uncertainty given the covid response of governments all over the world. Does this hurt our recruitment of this guy? Does it hurt our recruitment of the others as well?

Good points about Kadioglu, I’ve seen him play a couple times this year for Fenerbahce, he’s a very talented player and I think he starts for us right away. All 3 are a dream at this point. But as I mentioned earlier Herdman, Biello and the rest have to give it a shot. 

with regards to Covid, there are still so many unknowns, will the qualifying games be played in a bubble? If so where? If they go the bubble route, our players may not even come to Canada for the games in October. They might go directly to Florida (for example) from the countries they play in. On the other hand, I don’t think any of the 3 countries (Netherlands, Turkey or Egypt) are calling either of these guys for this window.

17 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Good points about Kadioglu, I’ve seen him play a couple times this year for Fenerbahce, he’s a very talented player and I think he starts for us right away. All 3 are a dream at this point. But as I mentioned earlier Herdman, Biello and the rest have to give it a shot. 

with regards to Covid, there are still so many unknowns, will the qualifying games be played in a bubble? If so where? If they go the bubble route, our players may not even come to Canada for the games in October. They might go directly to Florida (for example) from the countries they play in. On the other hand, I don’t think any of the 3 countries (Netherlands, Turkey or Egypt) are calling either of these guys for this window.

Yup. A lot of unknowns for sure. We'll just have to hope for the best. 

I don't think Kadioglu is committing to anyone right away, which does bode well for us. 

Not sure about Marmoush though. What is Egypt doing this upcoming window? Wouldn't it only be a matter of time before Egypt calls him up? I think we'll be lucky if he's not cap-tied by the end of the year. 

Perhaps the CSA should focus most of their efforts on him (if they aren't all ready). Are they focused on any recruitment at a time like this? Must be a hard sell to convince a player to come play for Canada when we don't even know what the games will look like. The prospects of living in a bubble with complete strangers versus playing for your homeland?

I would love to be a fly on John Herdman's wall at the moment. If anyone can convince Marmoush it's probably him though, to be fair.

Edited by Obinna

54 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yup. A lot of unknowns for sure. We'll just have to hope for the best. 

I don't think Kadioglu is committing to anyone right away, which does bode well for us. 

Not sure about Marmoush though. What is Egypt doing this upcoming window? Wouldn't it only be a matter of time before Egypt calls him up? I think we'll be lucky if he's not cap-tied by the end of the year. 

Perhaps the CSA should focus most of their efforts on him (if they aren't all ready). Are they focused on any recruitment at a time like this? Must be a hard sell to convince a player to come play for Canada when we don't even know what the games will look like. The prospects of living in a bubble with complete strangers versus playing for your homeland?

I would love to be a fly on John Herdman's wall at the moment. If anyone can convince Marmoush it's probably him though, to be fair.

I honestly don’t know a whole lot about Egypt’s program other than they were in the last World Cup and they have some decent players other than Mo Salah. I’m sure Marmoush is a good prospect for them.

Herdman is a good salesman. He’s got energy and enthusiasm, I’ve often said if coaching doesn’t work out for him, he’d be a great motivational speaker or used car salesman. 

I think the recruiting of dual nationals is a continuing process, it has to if we’re going to get better. 

Off topic, on topic.. I find it odd the DAZN commentators referred to him as Canadian.

Who is the new Canadian pundit on DAZN? I saw him have some phony debate with an English guy about Pulisic v Davies. They introduced him as someone all Canadian soccer fans would know but I've never heard of him. Something Barry. Anyways they seem to be trying to cator to Canada.. do they know something we dont know about this player

Edited by SpursFlu

There is no proof that he is Canadian. I haven't heard him or anybody from his inner circle (agent, family close friends etc..) state this. His Canadian-ness came out of nowhere.

I'm waiting for proof!

The Egyptian national team coach, Hossam El Badry, knows he exists and is watching him. (El Badry used to be the Egypt U23 coach)

https://www.kingfut.com/2020/05/30/egypt-monitor-omar-marmoush-debut/

Funnily enough, Hossam El Badry was my first choice to replace OZ (after he got the sack and before Herdman was chosen). Although he is based in Egypt, his family is based in Canada and he seems to come here at least semi-regularly:

https://sport.elwatannews.com/ar/1/1/686129/خاص-سر-اعتذار-حسام-البدري-عن-عدم-حضور-مباراة-السوبر-بالإمارات

https://www.youm7.com/story/2017/10/25/إصابة-خطيرة-لـ-ابنة-حسام-البدرى-فى-حادث-مترو-بكندا/3480948

The man was just chilling in Canada when Al-Ahly offered him the coaching job (either the second time or the third time):

https://www.shorouknews.com/news/view.aspx?cdate=06072020&id=0893f800-2e23-44d4-ae6f-5b616d4c50bd

Funnily enough, Hossam El Badry was my first choice to replace OZ (after he got the sack and before Herdman was chosen). Although he is based in Egypt, his family is based in Canada and he seems to come here at least semi-regularly:

You must have had some inside info on that one.  Didnt it happen at the same time, same announcement etc....I thought it was a joke as Zambrano was prepping for the u-23 camp coming up the next day I think.  

53 minutes ago, top cheese said:

Am I correct in saying tomori is tied to England now? He certainly would solidify the back line 

Yes. Done and dusted. Cap tied in injury time of England’s Euro qualifier. 

Southgate didn’t need to do the kid like that. I can’t see him playing for England anytime soon.

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yes. Done and dusted. Cap tied in injury time of England’s Euro qualifier. 

Southgate didn’t need to do the kid like that. I can’t see him playing for England anytime soon.

I dunno Lampard seems to be High on him and England isn’t blessed with a lot of Cb prospects at the moment.