Jump to content

Omar Marmoush


VinceA
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

On his competitive debut with the club and after they had gone down to 10 men.

I can't see how Egypt doesn't call him next month...

I was thinking the same thing. Only chance we ever had at this guy was if we made the WC (and Egypt didn't) and he still hadn't been called up by Egypt. Not the end of the world because I'm pretty sure Omar has made it clear in the past he wants to play for Egypt. 

Best of luck to him! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Atlantic said:

I was thinking the same thing. Only chance we ever had at this guy was if we made the WC (and Egypt didn't) and he still hadn't been called up by Egypt. Not the end of the world because I'm pretty sure Omar has made it clear in the past he wants to play for Egypt. 

Best of luck to him! 

I'm officially a Libya fan for their two matches vs Egypt in the Oct window

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, One American said:

I don't see how Egypt doesn't call him next month. But I don't see how they've avoided it to this point. 

If he was willing to  accept the call from Canada he would play in every game for us at this point.

He may or may not start every game because he plays the same position as our best players but he would be getting subbed in at least consistently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

If he was willing to  accept the call from Canada he would play in every game for us at this point.

He may or may not start every game because he plays the same position as our best players but he would be getting subbed in at least consistently.

Highly disagree. On what basis? If Akinola wasn’t injured, he may be even a better option for how we play. Ennin might be too.

It’s not like he’s killing the Bundesliga or did. I think we sometimes overhype these duals.

Not saying I wouldn’t want him in our program, but to say “he would be playing every game” is a stretch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our team is at a stage now that it's more than just your CV that Herdman is looking at. Omar and Ferdi have, to my knowledge, not shown an interest to rep Canada. Kudos to John for keeping in touch but potential players from here on, I suspect, will need to demonstrate a desire to wear our shirt with pride. Good luck to Omar!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Voted Bundesliga rookie of the month for September:

---

In the starting XI for the Egypt vs Libya WCQ that will kick off in 15 minutes:

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/qualifiers/caf/match-center/400204254

He is officially gone.

My thoughts:

:(

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Voted Bundesliga rookie of the month for September:

---

In the starting XI for the Egypt vs Libya WCQ that will kick off in 15 minutes:

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/qualifiers/caf/match-center/400204254

He is officially gone.

My thoughts:

:(

To be honest I'm happy players like Tomori, and Marmoush don't come. They really have nothing to do with Canadian soccer. Jeeze, Marmoush never even spent a minute in Canada. Tomori was simply born here and left when a few months old. And that goes for Wotherspoon and Arfield. They're both Scottish players who were developed and nurtured by Scottish soccer. Getting these players feels like a cheat. Yes, yes, I know Italy has three Brazilians on their team and we lost quite a few Canadian born and bred stars but it still feels like we're cheating. Although born outside of Canada, Borjan spent his formative years here so players like him I understand. He considers himself a Canuck and he lived and developed some of his game here. That's on one hand. On the other, if a Ricardo Pepi decides he wants to play for Canada I'm too competitive and too weak-minded to say no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

To be honest I'm happy players like Tomori, and Marmoush don't come. They really have nothing to do with Canadian soccer. Jeeze, Marmoush never even spent a minute in Canada. Tomori was simply born here and left when a few months old. And that goes for Wotherspoon and Arfield. They're both Scottish players who were developed and nurtured by Scottish soccer. Getting these players feels like a cheat. Yes, yes, I know Italy has three Brazilians on their team and we lost quite a few Canadian born and bred stars but it still feels like we're cheating. Although born outside of Canada, Borjan spent his formative years here so players like him I understand. He considers himself a Canuck and he lived and developed some of his game here. That's on one hand. On the other, if a Ricardo Pepi decides he wants to play for Canada I'm too competitive and too weak-minded to say no.

I relate to your comment here. Tomori I suppose is kind of debatable because he played for our youth team, but I fully agree on Marmoush. I am not above turning these players down or anything, I am just not fussed when they go elsewhere.

One of the biggest "cheats" would have been Christante, who ultimately played for Italy and so far has shown it was a good choice. 

Here's another point on this:

We don't have a full team of outsiders, like Jamaica does for instance, so I don't mind a scattered Arfield or Wotherspoon since the core of our team is still "Canadian".

I want my national team to overall be an extension of our culture and soccer system. I want the guys who wear the shirt to come from a similar upbringing, both in soccer and otherwise. Some of our national team players grew up playing on the same fields and tournaments I did, and there's something cool about that. Something I can really connect to.

That said, having a guy or two grow up playing in Scotland is kind of cool. It adds a sprinkle of diversity, which is a nice touch since our country is built on that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still think we need to pay attention and actively recruit players like Marmoush (who are ‘remotely’ Canadian).  I’m concerned we will lose many of the kids with profiles similar to Jebbison, Dias, and the numerous Eastern Europeans- Sali, Yankov, Mitrovic (who leave Canada around 11-14 to develop in Europe) so we need to keep all options open.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I still think we need to pay attention and actively recruit players like Marmoush (who are ‘remotely’ Canadian).  I’m concerned we will lose many of the kids with profiles similar to Jebbison, Dias, and the numerous Eastern Europeans- Sali, Yankov, Mitrovic (who leave Canada around 11-14 to develop in Europe) so we need to keep all options open.

Players like Marmoush are not at all like Jebbison, Dias, Sali, Mitrovic. Many of them were born and/or developed here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Players like Marmoush are not at all like Jebbison, Dias, Sali, Mitrovic. Many of them were born and/or developed here. 

I think that’s his point. We lose too many of our own so we need to supplement, so to speak.

Edited by Obinna
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Players like Marmoush are not at all like Jebbison, Dias, Sali, Mitrovic. Many of them were born and/or developed here. 

But that was my point.  We will lose many kids who ‘grew up’ in Canada to other nations, so we should also still try to entice players from other countries who have less connection to Canada but who can still play for us.  Even I have some reservations with recruiting players who have very little maple syrup flowing through their bloods, but if we can recruit players like Justin Smith who will make our team better, why not?

Edited by TOcanadafan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...