Theo Corbeanu

jordan

10 minutes ago, Corazon said:

We haven't had a player play in the Premier league since Corbeanu two seasons ago and it was a meaningless end of season game.  Hopefully this changes this summer with David and perhaps a surprise or two. 

But the previous Canadian to play in Premier League was

Hoilett - 2018/19 (32 games). 

In fact, since Hoilett's Premier League debut in 2009:

Canadian English Premier League Games Played

Hoilett - 161 games across 6 Premier League Seasons

Arfield - 86 games across 3 Premier League Seasons

Jackson - 35 games across 2 Premier League Seasons

Corbeanu - 1 game

You can call Hoillett's career whatever you want but I consider 6 Premier League Seasons & 8 League Championship Seasons an incredible career for a Canadian player.  Add in two successful loan spells to German B2 before the age of 19 as well.  Aside from his half season at Paderbon when he was 17, he has played minimum 20 league games in every other of his 13 seasons.  Has been a starter or contributor on every team he has played for.

Long story short, I'd be thrilled if Corbeanu had a career even remotely close to Hoilett's.  And yes, I do know it is far harder to break into the Premier League now than it was in 2009/10 and even from 2018/19.

Oh yeah for sure. No argument from me there. I would also be thrilled if Corbeanu had a Hoilett-like career. That's probably his ceiling.

I Just wanted to point out that you were comparing peak Hoilett to current Corbeanu, who is nowhere near his peak (I hope). I know you were making the comparison because Theo is the same age now as Hoilett was during his final Blackburn season, but you could put 21-year-old Hoilett up against 21-year-old David and make an argument that his 7 EPL goals trump David's 13 Ligue 1 goals - even though it's very clear that David will have a more illustrious career than Hoilett, know what I mean? I guess my point is that Hoilett may not be the best player to contrast Corbeanu with at the moment, due to how early Junior peaked. Feels like an unfair comparison to me. 

Edited by Obinna

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is it a loan or a sale? I just hope he plays. 

"It seems Wolves, who signed him from TFC Academy in Canada in August 2018, now plan to send him out on loan again and Grasshoppers will be his destination.

They have a special relationship with the club as they are owned by the wife of Fosun boss Guo Guangchang, and that’s seen numerous players move from Molineux to the club in recent years.

This season saw Renat Dadashov move to the club, while last season Bruno Jordao, Sang-bin Jeong and Leo Bonatini were all on loan there too. Now, it seems, Corbeanu is set to join that prestigious list."

38 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Almost wish for a sale at this point so his team will treat him as their own but good move and level.

Concern is that he gets the Liam Millar treatment at Grasshoppers especially because he’s not even their product. Switzerland had a ton of domestic players and is a big jumping spot for players to get into higher leagues, so I’d be worried that he gets glued to the bench the second he dips in form. I really wish he got sold, even though it’s good that wolves still rate him highly enough to keep. 

Seems like a good move.

8 hours ago, VinceA said:

Ugh I just want him to go somewhere permanently. He has no future at Wolves.

You may get your wish. When teams start moving their prospects to abroad loans (Swiss league, B2) versus domestic loans (league one, championship), it can be a sign they are looking to permanently move the player as opposed to just developing him.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Shway said:

confirmed.

Still one of my favourite young Canadians. I love his tenacity, and this will be a great spot for him to flourish and get back into the CMNT.

While I would have preferred a permanent move, I see this as similar to Nelson moving to Rosenborg - this move will be a chance for him to flourish.   As others have said, having the club not fully invested in his development isn’t a perfect situation but if he makes himself indispensable then he will get lots of playing time.  And at this level, he should (hopefully) be able to force his way onto the field.  If he can’t, then he clearly isn’t quite at the level we are all hoping (all his coaches can’t be wrong).  

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

While I would have preferred a permanent move, I see this as similar to Nelson moving to Rosenborg - this move will be a chance for him to flourish.   As others have said, having the club not fully invested in his development isn’t a perfect situation but if he makes himself indispensable then he will get lots of playing time.  And at this level, he should (hopefully) be able to force his way onto the field.  If he can’t, then he clearly isn’t quite at the level we are all hoping (all his coaches can’t be wrong).  

Generally pleased with the move as well for all the reasons mentioned.

We obviously don't know all that has gone on between him and coaches but it feels like he needs do whatever and play whatever role he needs to, to get on the field and get minutes. Use his physicality beyond pace, put in the hard graft etc.  Show his skill when it is smart to do so.

And in my opinion, someone should try him as a striker.

47 minutes ago, Shway said:

What will be interesting is we could have a Corbeanu vs Millar matchup. Two guys who are close friends, and who are likely to be going head to to head for the same spot on the national team. 

Was thinking by the same thing.  Two young attacking wingers who will be pushing for a spot in the year’s to come.  Competition like that for CMNT roster spots can only make us stronger.   

I think most people have heard of Grasshopper but I did a little research for my own benefit. 

One of the traditionally successful clubs in the Swiss league with 27 championships going back to the 30s but havent won one since 2003.  Were relelgated in 18/19 but have been back in the top flight for a couple seasons, finishing 8th and 7th (of 10).  

They don't look super deep wide right, though they have a few left wingers and attacking midfielders who have played there.  Last year they mostly either played narrow in attack or had another Wolves loanee -  Bendegúz Bolla - playing there, he has normally been a right back.  

That said, they have a new coach this season after theirs resigned effective the end of last season.  The new one - Bruno Berner - was at the club as a kid, was briefly a Premier League player, worked as a coach with the Swiss youth teams, and just kept FC Winterthur in the Swiss top league this last year.  He seems to play with wide attackers more than the last coach so bodes well for Corbeanu's chances for minutes.

Oh and they have a friendly this Friday against newly promoted Stade Lausanne.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, Shway said:

What will be interesting is we could have a Corbeanu vs Millar matchup. Two guys who are close friends, and who are likely to be going head to to head for the same spot on the national team. 

Can we also include nelson? Similar league levels? I would assume that all 3 are somewhat on the same level and competing for the same spot. 

4 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Can we also include nelson? Similar league levels? I would assume that all 3 are somewhat on the same level and competing for the same spot. 

Millar is already miles ahead of Corbeanu, they are not close to fighting for the same spot on the NT. Nelson does not seem to be playing wide, so out of the conversation. Corbeanu is a project still, Millar is a young pro who is faced with the challenge of that next step, to see if he really can push into higher leagues and clubs or has reached his peak.