Theo Corbeanu

jordan

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Was hoping he could get another Championship loan.

At least Ipswich are pushing for promotion in League One I guess

For sure, but his could simply be one of several clubs interested in taking him on, let's keep in mind.

Let's also keep in mind however that Blackpool have been a bottom half team in the Championship, and although he led the division in dribbles at one point, he wasn't a consistent starter. It's not the summer window either, clubs may have a hole or two to patch up, but the "clean slate" environment of preseason won't likely present itself. I imagine by now a lot of clubs have established their setups, so considering that, and the fact he's actually recovering from injury, and the fact he didn't light the Championship on fire to begin with....perhaps a loan to Ipswich is a good outcome?

11 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

I've heard personally he's going outside of England

Would love to see it. The name "Braga" has sprung to my mind before. Wolves have that Portuguese connection and Braga is a big club, but not a giant of the division. More of a "best of the rest".

Braga specifically may be too high a level for him (heard they weren't happy with Diego Lianez - arguably a better player than Corbeanu), but teams like Boavista and such may be just right. The sort of club he can play game in, game out. Hell, maybe even a Pacos would do the trick. 

Edit: Pacos are having a torrid time. Just 3 points thus far and 10 points from safety. They are going down for sure. Maybe a Chaves? :)

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

For sure, but his could simply be one of several clubs interested in taking him on, let's keep in mind.

Let's also keep in mind however that Blackpool have been a bottom half team in the Championship, and although he led the division in dribbles at one point, he wasn't a consistent starter. It's not the summer window either, clubs may have a hole or two to patch up, but the "clean slate" environment of preseason won't likely present itself. I imagine by now a lot of clubs have established their setups, so considering that, and the fact he's actually recovering from injury, and the fact he didn't light the Championship on fire to begin with....perhaps a loan to Ipswich is a good outcome?

Have also heard it was Wolves who pulled the plug on the loan and not the other way around.  Blackpool being in relegation and manager potentially being fired, I guess was the reason for panic.  Wasn't playing 90 every week but its an extremely tough league and I would have liked to see him accumulate 30+ games at that level.  You see his quality in glimpses, personally just think he should leave England all together and he'd have success in a smaller European league (Austria, Belgium, Holland, Scotland etc.)

4 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Have also heard it was Wolves who pulled the plug on the loan and not the other way around.  Blackpool being in relegation and manager potentially being fired, I guess was the reason for panic.  Wasn't playing 90 every week but its an extremely tough league and I would have liked to see him accumulate 30+ games at that level.  You see his quality in glimpses, personally just think he should leave England all together and he'd have success in a smaller European league (Austria, Belgium, Holland, Scotland etc.)

I like that Wolves are very "involved" when it comes to his development (take notes, TFC). I feel very comfortable with his situation because of this, and I feel he's in good hands at the club. 

Ipswitch town would be such a horrible, backwards move. I know we hear a lot about this kid's deficiencies, but at least for the first part of the season, he may have been Blackpool's best player, and certainly their most offensively gifted one for sure. Going down to League One- a league he didn't exactly have significantly better numbers in- is a step in the wrong direction. I watched him a lot this year, and he certainly is a Championship quality player, I think he suffers the same deficiencies as Jonathan David, ie, if no one is good enough to feed him, the goals come by more difficultly.

57 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

It seems you have insider information, so I don't wanna dispute that, but wouldn't Wolves have to basically pull the plug on his loan because he's injured? I doubt Blackpool wants to take care of his rehabilitation when he isn't under contract with them, and if he is out long term, he probably won't play for them very much before his loan was over?

I hope he stays in England. He has the physical size and the offensive tools to make it happen. I guess his thing is that he's too selfish on the ball, and doesn't get his teammates involved, but I think the best way to learn that would be to take his lumps in a demanding league like the Championship instead of going to a lower league and having an easier go at it.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Seems like Ipswich Town are in the running to sign Corbeanu on loan

Theo Corbeanu from Wolves to Ipswich Town: What do we know so far? Is the transfer likely to happen? | Football League World

Seeing his wiki club player summary, he is either further along toward moving to Ipswich than we think, or perhaps their fans are just getting a little trigger happy :)

Theo Corbeanu - Wikipedia

The mention is unsourced, but strange enough, the person who added that to the page hasn't updated a wiki article in 2 years, and has only updated Ipswitch-related articles.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Ipswitch town would be such a horrible, backwards move. I know we hear a lot about this kid's deficiencies, but at least for the first part of the season, he may have been Blackpool's best player, and certainly their most offensively gifted one for sure. Going down to League One- a league he didn't exactly have significantly better numbers in- is a step in the wrong direction. I watched him a lot this year, and he certainly is a Championship quality player, I think he suffers the same deficiencies as Jonathan David, ie, if no one is good enough to feed him, the goals come by more difficultly.

1. It's a step in the wrong direction, sure, but it may also be the best of a crappy situation. He started very well, then fell out of favour/got injured (seems to be a pattern). Main thing is to play at a respectable level, which this would be. If it were a relegation candidate in League One, now that would be concerning. 
  2.  I don't think people feeding Corbeanu is the problem. He's not even a pure goal scorer. He's more of an attacking wide forward who can score, not someone who needs service. Furthermore, I only think JD needs service if he's isolated in the 9 position, where Corbeanu doesn't play even, so the comparison doesn't really work, or at it least seems odd to me. Corbeanu has everything to be a tier 1 player, he just needs to clean up his decision making (which I am sure he will in due time).

Also, the Wikipedia page was likely updated due to this blurry picture that some fan is claiming is corbeanu, taking a picture at the Ipswich grounds:

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:
  1. It's a step in the wrong direction, sure, but it may also be the best of a crappy situation. He started very well, then fell out of favour/got injured (seems to be a pattern). Main thing is to play at a respectable level, which this would be. If it were a relegation candidate in League One, now that would be concerning. 
  2.  I don't think people feeding Corbeanu is the problem. He's not even a pure goal scorer. He's more of an attacking wide forward who can score, not someone who needs service. Furthermore, I only think JD needs service if he's isolated in the 9 position, where Corbeanu doesn't play even, so the comparison doesn't really work, or at it least seems odd to me. Corbeanu has everything to be a tier 1 player, he just needs to clean up his decision making (which I am sure he will in due time).

Even then, I would hope that he had shown enough for a better Championship team to give him a shot. When he was playing well, Blackpool was doing decent, when he fell out of form, they started plummeting. It doesn't seem like he played significantly better in League One than he did in the Championship, so getting sent back down there seems like a bit of a waste, or that teams don't rate him at all.

Edited by InglewoodJack

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:
  1.  I don't think people feeding Corbeanu is the problem. He's not even a pure goal scorer. He's more of an attacking wide forward who can score, not someone who needs service. Furthermore, I only think JD needs service if he's isolated in the 9 position, where Corbeanu doesn't play even, so the comparison doesn't really work, or at it least seems odd to me. Corbeanu has everything to be a tier 1 player, he just needs to clean up his decision making (which I am sure he will in due time).

Agreed. one of his main critiques is that hes selfish. He loves to dribble into closed alleys. I would think that hes the guy that would not provide good service to David and cause an issue rather than him not being fed. Although it sounds like his decision making has improved quite a bit this year. 

I also think it's a good move. Sometimes you have to explore laterally. The only thing I don't like is when a club is relegation threatened, everyone is nervous and that affects younger players' minutes, puts them under pressure.

Thinking a bit like Liam Millar's loans out, if you are thinking a pro career you may not realistically be able to think it's going to be in EPL with Wolves. 

I was going to say it's a small spot, so that is why they can't stay in B1, as I've been through there, but just checked and realised it's a decent mid-sized city. 

If the loan move becomes reality, he'll have two concacaf teammates in George Bello and Andres Andrade.

Bello is a 7-time capped US international, and a former Atlanta United wingback, who is in Corbeanu's age cohort. He's made 22 combined Bundesliga and 2.Bundesliga appearances for Bielfeld since joining them midway through last season. 

Andrade I know less about, but wiki says he's a 24-year-old defender with 19 caps for Panama. He joined from Austrian Bundesliga club LASK after a successful loan the season prior (when Bielfeld was relegated). 

On 1/18/2023 at 10:07 AM, Ruffian said:

Is there anywhere we can stream 2. Bundesliga?

As part of their Bundesliga rights, SN Now+ shows about a match/week from 2. Bundesliga.

Next match to be shown is Hannover 96 vs Kaiserslautern on the 28th. On the 29th, it will be Hamburger SV vs Eintracht Braunschweig. Then Paderborn vs Fortuna Düsseldorf on Feb 3rd.