Theo Corbeanu

jordan

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

While I would have preferred a permanent move, I see this as similar to Nelson moving to Rosenborg - this move will be a chance for him to flourish.   As others have said, having the club not fully invested in his development isn’t a perfect situation but if he makes himself indispensable then he will get lots of playing time.  

On the other hand, this could be his best development opportunity of all the loans. First of all, it's a full season loan and he will be there from the beginning. Secondly, it's a lower level than his previous two loans. Thirdly, it's not a club likely to be fighting relegation. These are reasons to believe things will be different this time. 

Also, the fact he is loaned abroad (again) could suggest Wolves are shopping him now. Showcasing him abroad helps ensure a rival English club doesn't reap the rewards of all the work Wolves have put into him. If Grasshoppers like what they see, they may want to make the move permanent. 

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Millar is already miles ahead of Corbeanu, they are not close to fighting for the same spot on the NT. Nelson does not seem to be playing wide, so out of the conversation. Corbeanu is a project still, Millar is a young pro who is faced with the challenge of that next step, to see if he really can push into higher leagues and clubs or has reached his peak.

Nelson has played out on the wing some this year as well as centrally.   Insofar as he is an attacker within the midfield who sometimes plays outside I would say there is at least some positional overlap between these 3.  I have always hoped Nelson would be used centrally but he does seem to be deployed on the outside a fair bit.  

And I agree that Millar is clearly ahead of Theo right now.  But I think one of the positives of this move will be to give everyone a chance to directly compare those two over the course of a series of games.   If Theo can elevate his game and show the kind of consistency his coaches want to wring out of him, by the end of the year he could force himself back into contention. 

On 6/12/2023 at 1:04 PM, VinceA said:

Ugh I just want him to go somewhere permanently. He has no future at Wolves.

False. If he dominates Switzerland, which he's capable of doing if they give him a consistent run of games, he'll have a chance at Wolves next year. Wolves are severely lacking goal scoring. If Theo showed anything last year (he was never really given the chance), he'd likely be at Wolves this year. Unfortunately, he couldn't get a run out and he'll have to prove it this year.

Edited by Hawkguy

On 6/12/2023 at 12:29 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Almost wish for a sale at this point so his team will treat him as their own but good move and level.

Grasshoppers is basically Wolves feeder team. So he'll get lots of opportunity. The owner of Grasshoppers is the wife of Wolves' owner. 

3 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

False. If he dominates Switzerland, which he's capable of doing if they give him a consistent run of games, he'll have a chance at Wolves next year. Wolves are severely lacking goal scoring. If Theo showed anything last year (he was never really given the chance), he'd likely be at Wolves this year. Unfortunately, he couldn't get a run out and he'll have to prove it this year.

Very, very optimistic.

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

While I would have preferred a permanent move, I see this as similar to Nelson moving to Rosenborg - this move will be a chance for him to flourish.   As others have said, having the club not fully invested in his development isn’t a perfect situation but if he makes himself indispensable then he will get lots of playing time.  And at this level, he should (hopefully) be able to force his way onto the field.  If he can’t, then he clearly isn’t quite at the level we are all hoping (all his coaches can’t be wrong).  

How are Wolves not invested in his development? They literally keep pulling him from teams who aren't given him a chance or making him play out of position and looking for other loans. 

They finally got sick of believing other teams and are sending him to baby Wolves. This is in no way Wolves giving up on Theo. 

All he's gotta do is produce. If he produces at Grasshoppers, Wolves may very well have a use for him next year, especially if our goal scoring doesn't improve. 

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Very, very optimistic.

Not at all. I'm a Wolves fan. 

I've seen how furious they've been over the treatment of Theo (hence the multiple recalls and finding new homes for him). 

They've finally just decided to "keep him in club" basically by going to Grasshoppers. It's not as good as the Championship or even League 1, but it's better than not seeing him get a chance. 

Edited by Hawkguy

Just now, Hawkguy said:

How are Wolves not invested in his development? They literally keep pulling him from teams who aren't given him a chance or making him play out of position and looking for other loans. 

They finally got sick of believing other teams and are sending him to baby Wolves. This is in no way Wolves giving up on Theo. 

All he's gotta do is produce. If he produces at Grasshoppers, Wolves may very well have a use for him next year, especially if our goal scoring doesn't improve. 

I wasn’t talking about Wolves.  I was talking about Grasshoppers who don’t have a big stake in the growth and development of a loanee.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I wasn’t talking about Wolves.  I was talking about Grasshoppers who don’t have a big stake in the growth and development of a loanee.  

They are literally owned by Wolves owner's wife. 

We send a lot of our prospects there or players who we think will help them who we no longer need that are unsellable (like Bonatini). 

1 hour ago, Hawkguy said:

They are literally owned by Wolves owner's wife. 

We send a lot of our prospects there or players who we think will help them who we no longer need that are unsellable (like Bonatini). 

Ah ok.  Didn’t know that.  (I am sure it was mentioned previously). 

That makes it a lot more appealing.  

9 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

he was ripping it up with blackpool

It doesn't make much sense they they demoted him, really. He had more goals per minute than any player on their team except their #1 striker. And again, he wasn't given consistent minutes at a single position, he was constantly moved all over. RW, LW, CF, RM, LM. The guy is a creative winger who is going to make mistakes but he's also going to make things happen. 

But then again, we can't really trust their decisions since they got demoted pretty easily. 

But like I said, Wolves have been on top of his development. They've pulled him back from Sheffield Wednesday early. They weren't happy with Blackpool (although I'm not sure who ended that loan to be honest). 

They have a say in Grasshoppers. And if he plays well, he'll get all the minutes in the world. 

Edited by Hawkguy

2 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I still think his ceiling is really high. Just needs to get his confidence back. Maybe this move will do it.  

I understand hes a liability on defence and needs to learn how to pass but he won games and got points for blackpool 

2 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

I understand hes a liability on defence and needs to learn how to pass but he won games and got points for blackpool 

Funnily enough Sheffield Wednesday was using him as a LWB quite frequently lol 

Which goes to show you how hard it is to loan players and except good development. 

Edited by Hawkguy

2 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Funnily enough Sheffield Wednesday was using him as a LWB quite frequently lol 

Which goes to show you how hard it is to loan players and except good development. 

I dont understand the recall from blackpool the production was definitely there what do they expect out of a 20 year old 

3 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

I dont understand the recall from blackpool the production was definitely there what do they expect out of a 20 year old 

The recall was likely that he was benched in 4 of his last 8 games. Two of the games played he had less than 25 minutes of play and the fact that he was injured. In their recall release, they said they wanted to assess his injury. Which shows that Wolves are still keen on the player. Wouldn't be surprised if Lopetegui wanted to look at him too. Unfortunately, the next loan didn't work out at all, likely because he got zero chance to get into the team. 

5 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

Hence what makes some of us concerned.  Is it something off the field?  Between his ears?  I sure hope not.  Hopefully it all works out like we're hoping and expecting.  Ideally he gives Herdman some headaches and gets himself in the 11-18 discussion soon.

39 minutes ago, costarg said:

Hence what makes some of us concerned.  Is it something off the field?  Between his ears?  I sure hope not.  Hopefully it all works out like we're hoping and expecting.  Ideally he gives Herdman some headaches and gets himself in the 11-18 discussion soon.

I didn't get to see him at all in Germany but when he was in England on loan, the big problems I saw were him often shooting from distance and poor angles.  Thereby wasting good work that just saw him beat his man. Also when he did cross, the quality was generally poor. As a winger, that can obviously hold you back.

I said in a previous post, we have no idea what has gone on with his coaches, but he really needs to do absolutely anything to get on the pitch and stay there.  First and foremost.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

13 hours ago, Mitchryan11 said:

He didn't make his teammates better, he was mostly only effective when he was scoring (and eventually he stopped) and that is the profile of a player that is pointless for you to develop on a loan. Say they kept him and let him start the entire season- he probably gets 10 goals, his numbers look great but it does nothing for Blackpool, they still get relegated, then they lose him for nothing when Wolves call him back in, and that's one more empty position they'll need to account for filling in League One. I just don't think he's the type of player that makes sense to take on loan. The stuff he's good at makes his numbers look good, but the stuff he struggles with makes the team look bad. He needs a team invested in his success and development who is fine with playing through the hurdles, and I think Grasshopper makes sense, being Wolves' feeder club.

He was also injured for like a month or so around Christmas? I remember when he got recalled it was under the guise of Wolves taking care of his rehab. Not sure if a club that loans a player has to play for his medical treatment if they keep him, but he was out for about 1-2 months between when he got injured at Blackpool and went over to Bielefeld.