Theo Corbeanu

jordan

On 7/4/2023 at 9:33 PM, costarg said:

Hence what makes some of us concerned.  Is it something off the field?  Between his ears?  I sure hope not.  Hopefully it all works out like we're hoping and expecting.  Ideally he gives Herdman some headaches and gets himself in the 11-18 discussion soon.

Wolves recalled him, not Blackpool sending him back.

1 hour ago, Mitchryan11 said:

Jerry 14
Josh 4
Gozza 4
Theo 3
Patino 2
Poveda 2
Others (not here) 4

blackpool goal scorers

In 17 appearances and 843 minutes for Theo -- eight of which he came on as a substitute. 

At least two of the goals were brilliant as well. On one, he stripped a defender of the ball at the top of the box and beamed one low for a cool finish. 

The second was similar, though he came from a poorer angle and outmuscled his marker. It was highlight-reel material, truly. 

Both goals are in this clip at 1:33 and 1:10, respectively:

By comparison, he only made 13 appearances and collected 210 minutes for Arminia Bielefeld, and never started a game. 

It's been a rough 2023, but I'm confident he'll pick things back up in Switzerland. 

5 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

In 17 appearances and 843 minutes for Theo -- eight of which he came on as a substitute. 

At least two of the goals were brilliant as well. On one, he stripped a defender of the ball at the top of the box and beamed one low for a cool finish. 

The second was similar, though he came from a poorer angle and outmuscled his marker. It was highlight-reel material, truly. 

By comparison, he only made 13 appearances and collected 210 minutes for Arminia Bielefeld, and never started a game. 

It's been a rough 2023, but I'm confident he'll pick things back up in Switzerland. 

Never a doubt about his ability to beat a man at that level.  Just needs to improve what comes after that sometimes. 

Not saying Corbeanu is or will ever be at the level of Balogun, but consider where Floarin was 12 months ago.....

He was coming off a half-season Championship loan, where he scored 3 goals in 18 games, which came after being on the fringes of his Premier League team. Similarly, Corbeabu had a half-season Championship loan, where he scored 3 goals in 17 games. He was also previously on the fringes of his Premier League team (in this case Wolves). 

Of course, the difference here is that Arsenal and Wolves are two different levels, and Corbeanu had multiple loans which can be described as disappointing (including the latest one). Balogun was also sligthly more involved with Arsenal than Corbeanu has been with Wolves. 

All of that said, Balogun was able to put it all together at Riems in France. Whether it was the league, the club, the environment, or just the maturity of the player, he was able to string together an unbelievable season and now looks to have finally found himself. 

Why can't this be Corbeanu? We all know the talent and ability is there and sometimes it takes some players longer to put it all together, but it's absolutely possible the situation is MUCH different 12 months from now. I mean, Balogun had potential, but I don't think anyone was expecting a +20 goal season in Ligue 1.

What if Corbeanu finds his feet at Grasshopper and scores +15 goals? Not putting that expectation on him, but I would like to think it's in the realm of possibility. That might not attract the Chelseas or AC Milans of the world, but I bet there'd be a ton of interest from the tier below that, like the Benficas or the PSVs of this world. Or maybe he goes back to Wolves and earns a spot, just like Balogun might at Arsenal. 

Point is a lot can change in 12 months.....

He’s extremely talented, just needs a team to give him the opportunity. More I think about it, the more this is probably the best love for him. I think my mark of success is if he can ~match Liam Millar’s first Basel season. No clue if that’s enough to get him back with Wolves the following year, but double digit goals in Switzerland at 21 is not bad by any means.

1 minute ago, Vasi said:

Man I keep forgetting that he is so yonge. He has time to develop. 

For sure. And that's why I made the comparison. He is actually a year younger than Balogun and this time last year Balogun had no significant resume to speak of. Now he is drawing interest from the likes of AC Milan, off the strength of a breakout season in France. The Swiss Super League is not Ligue 1, but a breakout there at a club like Grasshopper wouldn't be insignificant at all. Not only would it put him back in the NT picture, but it could lead to a big move - or possibly an EPL chance with his parent club. 

On 7/11/2023 at 6:40 AM, DeRo_Is_King said:

I wonder if his flashy antics (in a positive sense) will work and be appreciated in the Swiss league?  Anyone follow enough to know if they prefer a more pragmatic approach?

9 hours ago, costarg said:

I wonder if his flashy antics (in a positive sense) will work and be appreciated in the Swiss league?  Anyone follow enough to know if they prefer a more pragmatic approach?

Maybe I am oversimplifying but I think the flash is only appreciated if it is productive - and that holds true in any league.  3 stepovers that result in you beating a guy consistently will win the crowd.  Doing it into a dead end and turning over possession consistently will get you (rightly) criticized for showing off without having the finished product.   I don’t think the tricks and flicks do much on their own - it is how effective they are that tell you the verdict.    

Edited by dyslexic nam

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe I am oversimplifying but I think the flash is only appreciated if it is productive - and that holds true in any league.  3 stepovers that result in you beating a guy consistently will win the crowd.  Doing it into a dead end and turning over possession consistently will get you (rightly) criticized for showing off without having the finished product.   I don’t think the tricks and flicks do much on their own - it is how effective they are that tell you thee verdict.    

I agree, you can see his talent is there but the decision making is not that good, over-dribbling and slow down the team momentum are part of his current flaws. That might be why he has been overlooked by clubs so far.

36 minutes ago, Rocho said:

I agree, you can see his talent is there but the decision making is not that good, over-dribbling and slow down the team momentum are part of his current flaws. That might be why he has been overlooked by clubs so far.

You know, I used to think the same thing about a certain other player who is now regarded as one of the greatest all-time. His name is Cristiano Ronaldo. 

1 hour ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

You know, I used to think the same thing about a certain other player who is now regarded as one of the greatest all-time. His name is Cristiano Ronaldo. 

I think in these postions you have to have guts, audacity, guile, the nerve to do something's...it's what separates the best.

Now I know there's overplaying or doing too much, but for me I prefer a player trying something vs trying nothing. 

It's the reason why I like this kid a lot.
He came onto the scene at a young age showing flash. It's the reason why I like Brazilian joga Bonita way of playing.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Starts in Grasshopper's friendly against Freiburg.

Update:

Freiburg seem to be streaming it live for the hardcores

https://www.scfreiburg.com/aktuell/sc-freiburg-tv/live/

Grasshopper down 2-0 at 40 minutes, but the goals were due to sloppy defending. 

FWIW being pre-season, Corbeanu has seen a lot of the ball and has looked one of the more dangerous players. He hit the post, took a couple of set pieces and put in some good crosses under pressure.

He really had no part in either of the goals conceded. Grasshopper defending has been atrocious. It's a perfect opportunity for him to get one back and put the team back in it. 

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Grasshopper down 2-0 at 40 minutes, but the goals were due to sloppy defending. 

FWIW being pre-season, Corbeanu has seen a lot of the ball and has looked one of the more dangerous players. He hit the post, took a couple of set pieces and put in some good crosses under pressure.

He really had no part in either of the goals conceded. Grasshopper defending has been atrocious. It's a perfect opportunity for him to get one back and put the team back in it. 

I am apparently one of the nerds and was watching.  

As you say is being given chances to be on the ball, regularly taking the right side corners. Maybe does better with the shot after some good work to get into the centre of the box.

Frieburg were playing their wiley captain left back Christian Gunter super high, and he had to watch for that.  (Gunter looks like went off with a broken arm)  

Seems like he will get a shot at least. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Is Freiburg playing mostly with their main team, or are they using B team/bench players?

Not sure, it's their first preseason game if the Grasshopper site is correct.  And the same said they changed 10 players at half, if I recall.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Article today in AS about Lopetegui at Wolves, that financial fair play has ravaged the team and they are going into preseason with only 14 first team players. I wonder if someone more in the know could comment?

https://as.com/futbol/internacional/trampa-a-lopetegui-n/

They are saying they are going to have to change the way they manage the roster and signings as they cannot continue with so many bodies on high salaries. So that Lopetegui, who it could be said helped them stave off relegation, is now being left high and dry.

That said, you'd think that the way to "solve" this in part would be to keep your best academy players and ask them to help round out the squad. Then look for loans. So that ideally, you would have kept your Corbeanus and similar. 

Any observations on this, I know some here really follow this better than I.

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Article today in AS about Lopetegui at Wolves, that financial fair play has ravaged the team and they are going into preseason with only 14 first team players. I wonder if someone more in the know could comment?

https://as.com/futbol/internacional/trampa-a-lopetegui-n/

They are saying they are going to have to change the way they manage the roster and signings as they cannot continue with so many bodies on high salaries. So that Lopetegui, who it could be said helped them stave off relegation, is now being left high and dry.

That said, you'd think that the way to "solve" this in part would be to keep your best academy players and ask them to help round out the squad. Then look for loans. So that ideally, you would have kept your Corbeanus and similar. 

Any observations on this, I know some here really follow this better than I.

He came out right after they were officially save, I believe, and said he was surprised by the FFP issues once he really got working at the club.  (Probably a little lack of due diligence on both sides.) But then  said he was staying in June sometime. 

So known when they sent Corbeanu out. And was still the right decision, in my opinion.