CPL Playing During the Coronavirus/Covid19 Pandemic

MediaPro/Onesoccer needs content now and CPL needs to have a decently long season so they dont loose all the momentum they have built.  Get it going, choose the hub city, do the 7 game season ASAP and maybe playoffs and V-cup games can be with partial crowds at home in the fall. Who knows what the virus situation will be like then.  It sucks, short season, ticket refunds, empty stadiums etc, but thats the hand we have all been dealt. 

As for delays..shouldnt we be used to this by now, at every step there have been delays and we have whined about waiting another 2 weeks for almost every announcement.  Look at baseball, they are dinking around and might not have a season..and that will probably crush their economics and take years to win back the fans.  

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

MediaPro/Onesoccer needs content now and CPL needs to have a decently long season so they dont loose all the momentum they have built.  Get it going, choose the hub city, do the 7 game season ASAP and maybe playoffs and V-cup games can be with partial crowds at home in the fall. Who knows what the virus situation will be like then.  It sucks, short season, ticket refunds, empty stadiums etc, but thats the hand we have all been dealt. 

As for delays..shouldnt we be used to this by now, at every step there have been delays and we have whined about waiting another 2 weeks for almost every announcement.  Look at baseball, they are dinking around and might not have a season..and that will probably crush their economics and take years to win back the fans.  

I'm actually a little surprised they haven't tried to go with a double tournament.  7 games one hub city, 7 games in another.  But, I guess the finances aren't there for that.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/53119479

Provincial responsability here, and as has been mentioned there are unique issues at every CPL venue, security, concessions, just getting people in and out of the venue in a responsible manner.  Not to mention the biggy, inter city travel, but I have to say, knock-on-wood, for most of the CPL locations things are looking promising.  Could get a shortened season with an in stadium experience for the supporters yet this year.  How awesome would that be?

Just keep that US border closed for now, please & thank you.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:37 PM, Bison44 said:

That said, they've been training for two weeks already. You should probably start your season after no more than 5-6. I know that most don't even have enough players signed to do intersquad matches full strength, but you can't take a training curve and not end up playing matches, it is not even advisable medically.

They should announce the format in the next 7-10  days as I see it, but maybe if they know internally that is good enough.

Thinking: both MLS and the NBA have chosen Orlando to play out their seasons, in one of the worst states for Covid-19 right now. So better to be smart and wait --a bit, anyways--than make a decision to go to Florida for the wrong reasons at the wrong time, as these other leagues have.

Pros:
-More playing opportunities for young players
-More rest for players to help prevent fatigue/injuries
-Overall faster pace of play with more fresh legs
-More opportunities to get in the game for specialized players (players only effective in 1-ish position)

Cons:
-Gives more of an advantage to big/rich nations/clubs
-Will hurt the "jack of all trades, master of none" player, as less tactical flexibility will be needed since you could swap out half the team
-Although faster play, less "fresh vs tired" match ups (because I imagine defensive substitutions would become more popular) might result in fewer goals late on in games

Not sure if it's pro or con:
-Coaching adjustments will change. I'm not sure if it will be easier or more difficult for a coach. With more substitutions from a bigger bench, you have more permutations that you could go to mid-game, but you also maybe don't have to take as much consideration to the starting lineup in order to allow for a path to your plan B with just 3 substitutions. I'm not a coach, so I don't know what is more significant.

My opinion: I don't think I actually have one. I'm not for or against this change. I'm definitely for it in the pandemic, compressed schedule, era. After that, I'm not too bothered either way. I AM for the extra (4th) substitution in extra time though.

Edited by Kent

On 6/21/2020 at 6:40 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thinking: both MLS and the NBA have chosen Orlando to play out their seasons, in one of the worst states for Covid-19 right now. So better to be smart and wait --a bit, anyways--than make a decision to go to Florida for the wrong reasons at the wrong time, as these other leagues have.

I think the NBA will shut it down yet (they haven't announced a return date and the players are getting nervous) and MLS is probably going to have to push their tournament. In addition, with all the rumblings around the NHL with a Canadian city being one of the hubs, what if all the hub cities were in Canada. Easy way to avoid the mess in the states.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

Pros:
-More playing opportunities for young players
-More rest for players to help prevent fatigue/injuries
-Overall faster pace of play with more fresh legs
-More opportunities to get in the game for specialized players (players only effective in 1-ish position)

Cons:
-Gives more of an advantage to big/rich nations/clubs
-Will hurt the "jack of all trades, master of none" player, as less tactical flexibility will be needed since you could swap out half the team
-Although faster play, less "fresh vs tired" match ups (because I imagine defensive substitutions would become more popular) might result in fewer goals late on in games

Not sure if it's pro or con:
-Coaching adjustments will change. I'm not sure if it will be easier or more difficult for a coach. With more substitutions from a bigger bench, you have more permutations that you could go to mid-game, but you also maybe don't have to take as much consideration to the starting lineup in order to allow for a path to your plan B with just 3 substitutions. I'm not a coach, so I don't know what is more significant.

My opinion: I don't think I actually have one. I'm not for or against this change. I'm definitely for it in the pandemic, compressed schedule, era. After that, I'm not too bothered either way. I AM for the extra (4th) substitution in extra time though.

I'm 100% opposed to a permanent adoption of increased substitutions on the basis that the CanPL must be a developing ground for Canadian coaches and managers. For that to work best, our top league must mirror as closely as possible the conditions in elite club and international football.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm 100% opposed to a permanent adoption of increased substitutions on the basis that the CanPL must be a developing ground for Canadian coaches and managers. For that to work best, our top league must mirror as closely as possible the conditions in elite club and international football.

For what it’s worth, I agree completely that CPL should follow IFAB and the world in this. I was speaking in terms of if the soccer world as a whole should adopt the rule permanently.

NWSL tournament starting this weekend. Orlando Pride pulls out because a number of players and staff test positive. Apparently some went out and about around Orlando including night clubs. Some matches will be on CBS. Rest on CBS All Access.

16 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Tic tic tic.. just get on with it already 

No doubt, although EPL, Serie A & Bundesliga are filling the gap nicely ATM.

With the s***show that is MLS right now, I think the CPL will have a ton of eyeballs on it this summer in this country.

31 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

No doubt, although EPL, Serie A & Bundesliga are filling the gap nicely ATM.

I'm finding it hard to follow those leagues with half the games being played during the work day here in Canada. I can't wait for CPL to start

1 hour ago, MtlMario said:

Could someone with knowledge of PEI tell us the venues that would be available for CPL tournament? Thanks in advance.

You are most likely limited to turf fields due to quality issues (turf may be fast but at least it is perfectly flat).  If so, you are looking at:

- the UPEI home field in Charlottetown 

- the field at the Terry Fox Sports Centre in Cornwall

- a field in a multi-sport facility in Summerside (has football lines as well)

From Google Earth:

256FCC18-785D-4AE8-B5B4-A43E69B592F6.jpeg

9F7D9DB0-00B8-40B6-B344-C0E5F21C72CA.jpeg

BA9AD24C-9F24-4125-92FA-DBBE10174B9E.jpeg

Edited by dyslexic nam

USL announces its 16 game season format from July - October and one and done playoff matches, fans in attendance up to 50% Stadium capacity in some instances as well as LCFC announced, lets hope the CPL can take some cues from the D2 USL league and have some  fan attendance at their home outdoor stadiums for matches after the tournament as well.

The USL Championship announced on Wednesday an updated format for the remainder of the 2020 season that will see clubs divided into eight groups to complete a 16-game regular season followed by a single-elimination playoff. 

In order to limit travel, the regular season will see the Championship’s clubs divided into eight regionalized groups, and each team will complete a 16-game regular season. There will be five groups made up of four teams, and three groups made up of five teams to cover the 35 member clubs of the Championship.

https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/1110593

3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Why couldn't they just use wanderers grounds and the stadium in Moncton.

Someone else suggested they don’t want to give any team home advantage for what his essentially a mini season.  As for Moncton, I guess I wonder what would make it more suitable than PEI.