Canada vs Trinidad Series - (March 23 - 31, 2020)

Shway

4 minutes ago, CANMNT_SUPERFAN said:

OneSoccer(broadcast) 

Haha then surely Telfer will be discussed considering he scored 8 CPL goals and the first goal in league history. Can't wait to hear Kurt Larson derail the pregame chat with Telfer talk!

Could @ted or someone at Lake Side Buoys give us an idea how the supporter section is working for these matches?

Were you able to reserve your habitual spot, and, if so, for how many of you? Could others buy tickets in that endzone with the clear idea of joining a supporter section, ie standing, chants, banners?

When we are talking about a sell-out at Westhills (and maybe 2), what will that mean for your section or the entire end stand you are in?

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could @ted or someone at Lake Side Buoys give us an idea how the supporter section is working for these matches?

Were you able to reserve your habitual spot, and, if so, for how many of you? Could others buy tickets in that endzone with the clear idea of joining a supporter section, ie standing, chants, banners?

When we are talking about a sell-out at Westhills (and maybe 2), what will that mean for your section or the entire end stand you are in?

For these matches "The Lake Side" becomes the Voyageurs section and some tickets were still available last time I checked.

We will have banners and capos and are working on a tifo and looks like we will be hosting a pre-game tailgate.

3 hours ago, ted said:

For these matches "The Lake Side" becomes the Voyageurs section and some tickets were still available last time I checked.

We will have banners and capos and are working on a tifo and looks like we will be hosting a pre-game tailgate.

You'll be out in full force for both matches I assume? 

I think it's a good way to promote your activities as a supporters group. 

Just catching up on the thread....

Mixed feelings on Tefler but I am glad he is going to have an international footy career. Agree with the majority of the sentiment, hopefully it does not come back to haunt us, in essentially 2 must win games. 

In turn, have to give credit to the ZBG cap, which would have been around the same time Tefler could have been capped. I am happy ZBG is Canadian and chose to play for us.  ZBG could have easily played for Haiti and Haiti has been essentially rolling out mostly domestic players at RB.  On paper, RB appears to be one of their weakest positions so ZBG likely would have been a starter for Haiti for a very long time and he can be lethal when used properly.  

If you think about it, selling out 2 games against team who likely has fairly small appearance fees like T&T is a good plan. Toronto and the larger cities seem to struggle selling any more than 15k against a team like T&T, so really, 2 games of around 7k is almost as good. Let the smaller CPL places get the smaller countries, and share the big games around in the MLS cities. Will grow the game across the country.

11 minutes ago, BFBF said:

If you think about it, selling out 2 games against team who likely has fairly small appearance fees like T&T is a good plan. Toronto and the larger cities seem to struggle selling any more than 15k against a team like T&T, so really, 2 games of around 7k is almost as good. Let the smaller CPL places get the smaller countries, and share the big games around in the MLS cities. Will grow the game across the country.

The Greater Toronto Area has a very large Trinidad & Tobago community.  I would expect that if these friendlies were being held at BMO in Toronto that it would sell very well.  Much like other games held in Toronto (recently Jamaica), you would like have a high opposition (T&T) attendance.

19 hours ago, Corazon said:

The Greater Toronto Area has a very large Trinidad & Tobago community.  I would expect that if these friendlies were being held at BMO in Toronto that it would sell very well.  Much like other games held in Toronto (recently Jamaica), you would like have a high opposition (T&T) attendance.

Sell more than 15k though? What I mean is the little bit of extra effort to spread games around might grow the popularity of the men’s national team. If there is hardly a difference in attendance then it really isn't much of a financial problem.

27 minutes ago, BFBF said:

Sell more than 15k though? What I mean is the little bit of extra effort to spread games around might grow the popularity of the men’s national team. If there is hardly a difference in attendance then it really isn't much of a financial problem.

No chance we would sell more than 15k in Toronto vs T&T.  I agree with you here.  

Canada has played too much in Toronto against average opponents - it's no longer a novelty.  Spread them out a bit and we'll grow this team to new heights.  People get excited seeing sell outs on TV... just imagine a fully red stadium, even if small, vs. a quarter filled BMO.

@CanadaFan123 @BFBF

2014: 12,162  & 2017: 21,724 vs Jamaica

As said above there's about just as much Trinis in the GTA as there is Jamaicans. Trinis who are very prideful at any chance they get to "represent". We aren't talking about Curaçao or Montserrat or even Dominica where there's few here. 

Let your main points be about a spreading the game around Canada, which everyone should be fine with. Just stop the guessing that it wouldn't sell 15K on the basis of literally nothing but a distaste for Toronto. 

If you were at Varsity 20 years ago tell me how the attendance was.... 

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

@CanadaFan123 @BFBF

As said above there's about just as much Trinis in the GTA as there is Jamaicans. Trinis who are very prideful at any chance they get to "represent". We aren't talking about Curaçao or Montserrat or even Dominica where there's few here. 

Let your main points be about a spreading the game around Canada, which everyone should be fine with. Just stop the guessing that it wouldn't sell 15K on the basis of literally nothing but a distaste for Toronto. 

I have missed just one game in Toronto in the last 12 years, so absolutely no distaste.  

Maybe things have changed with our new young superstars but for the casual non-Trini fans there are a lot of sporting options and chances to see the CMNT.  I think Toronto needs a big game vs. a UEFA team that can sell 30,000.  

1 hour ago, BFBF said:

It was just a statement not a recommendation.  I don't mind spreading the friendlies around the country at all as I think its good for the game in the country.  Although 75% of our national team players comes from the GTA and they do seem to have great results at BMO.

To answer your question, yes a T&T friendly in Toronto would likely sell 15k today given the large T&T community support.  If you think otherwise, I'll respect your opinion.

Again, I am happy and support that the games are selling out across the country.

Edited by Corazon

Just now, Cblake said:

We be interesting to see how things proceed in the coming weeks and if these games actually get played. Think we are on the verge of a lot of events in Canada being cancelled or played with no crowds. Sure the CSA is keep an eye on such a situation coming up. 

This may also work against us in the coming months. We have to play friendlies to get into the hex. If the world continues to panic that may be harder to organize, even if the games are played behind closed doors.

We'll have to see how things develop as the temperature heats up. There is talk this virus has an ideal temperature (around 8 degrees celcius).

Also, aren't they are doing human testing of a vaccine near the end of April (in the usa)? Not a magic wand of course, but that may quell fears and hopefully foster an environment which is friendly for.....friendlies :)

4 hours ago, Shway said:

@CanadaFan123 @BFBF

My point was not to diss Toronto in any way. In almost every way, Toronto is the best place to host matches and I understand that. Attendance is usually good, good pitch, easy to get the players there, lots of the players are from the GTA area, etc...

My point is that spreading the games around the country might be less costly than I originally thought. And it might have some long term benefits. For example, not saturating the Toronto support, gaining support and awareness across the country from the casual fan, growing Canpl awareness, etc...

I also wasn't trying to speak specifically for T&T. I was mainly speaking generally about teams outside of the top 4 in CONCACAF who might not draw as well in Toronto. I really don't know whether T&T would sell in Toronto, I don't know the demographics.

One thing to consider is whether our European players will have to self isolate when they come back to Canada or whether their clubs don’t want them leaving for fear that they will be made to self isolate when they return.  Also is there any indication that T&T would consider travelling to the West Coast.  With all the postponements going on, wouldn’t surprise me if the friendlies were cancelled or played behind closed doors.

23 hours ago, Boominbooty said:

Just checked Ticketmaster. Ticket sales seemed to have stalled since late last week. Still stuck at about 50-60% sold. They need a marketing push to wrap up the last seats. 

Might have something to do with Covid-19. Alot of Municipalities are starting to recommend/ban gatherings of more than 1000 people. TSN radio did a poll yesterday in Winnipeg and over 40% said Corona Virus fears are playing a part in decisions whether or not to attend large sporting events. That's in a city with zero confirmed cases.  

23 hours ago, JamboAl said:

One thing to consider is whether our European players will have to self isolate when they come back to Canada or whether their clubs don’t want them leaving for fear that they will be made to self isolate when they return.  Also is there any indication that T&T would consider travelling to the West Coast.  With all the postponements going on, wouldn’t surprise me if the friendlies were cancelled or played behind closed doors.

We will need to keep checking the news.

There are direct flights from Port of Spain to Toronto so the team won't need to transit in the USA.

The only documented cases of community transmission in Canada have been in North Van last time I checked. I am more worried about the #CanWNT game in April.

23 hours ago, JamboAl said:

In most cases they'll be returning to countries with more cases than Canada. For example, Germany has +1000 reported cases and we don't even have 100. Not sure clubs would make them self-isolate considering that, although the nature of travel increases your risk though no matter the destination, presumably.

It's wise for society to proceed with caution, but there seems to be a major overreaction compared to past pandemics. I do not seem to recall sporting events being canceled or played behind closed doors during the 2009 swine flu, and there were +20,000 Americans effected by that. 

Anyways, the situation is volatile, so who knows how things look toward the end of March. I too would not be surprised to see it cancelled. I just hope everything goes as planned and things proceed in a safe manner.

For what it's worth, I heard Dr. Bonney Henry give a statement, something to the effect of not cancelling all major public events at this time and instead they could look at ways to just lower the risk at said events by deploying disinfectants and sanitizers. The game being in an open air facility helps as well.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

We will need to keep checking the news.

There are direct flights from Port of Spain to Toronto so the team won't need to transit in the USA.

The only documented cases of community transmission in Canada have been in North Van last time I checked. I am more worried about the #CanWNT game in April.

I don’t think direct flights are the issue, it’s just the whole nature of being away from home or being stuck away from home.  

My educated guess is that the chances of either friendly happening is about 15% and in front of a crowd being 5%.