Canada vs Trinidad Series - (March 23 - 31, 2020)

Shway

Sure but I think with our talent v their talent. We shouldn't lose. I also think if we lose or even tie one of these games we need to start considering a coaching change

Haiti

4-1 lose to US

Iceland

Drop points at home to t&t

Not making HEX

This all would not look good on Herdman considering the level of players we have and some questionable decisions along the way. Especially the away to US. There were some very strange decisions made there

Edited by SpursFlu

Every game that the CMNT play  now is a  WCQ. We must win every game.... select the best players regardless of age. If ZBG is killing it with Montreal he starts ahead of Laryea (and  I live in TO). We won 0-1 away to SKN that required a wonder goal by Atiba. We lost to freaking Haiti up 2-0 at the half with our top players just last sunmer. If players like Telfer (and T&T have others who are more talented) are a concern then we have to start our very best team. Look, to me we have to go for it .. make the hex and qualify for 2022. We have the players to do it . We just have to hope that JH can put together a tactical framework to make it work. We don't have the luxury to try and balance the 2 squads...

I think you boys are grasping at staws on a few of those.

Can't decide which is funnier, Jackson-Hamel (who hasn't been good for 2 years and can barely dribble a soccer ball), or Ongaro who will likely never play for the senior team (which so happens to be the argument against Telfer). He is also like 6'6, making a very good comparison to Telfer I think (Not!).

Ongaro?

Have to give that a think.  I mean, I like the man.  Think he could surprise a few people (quite a few people) if he had the opportunity to progress upward in his career, he can be a handful to be sure.  And of course I never let facts get in the way of a good argument but....Ongaro?

Yeah, need to think on that one a bit more.  Quite a bit more.

Good on Van Isle, thing's already a success and a great way to launch the 2020 playing season.  

With all this Tefler talk, no one seems to remember that Miki Cantave was on the Haiti team in the Gold Cup. Okay, at least he did not play in the 3-2 loss. But still: Miki probably should have been called into that first Herdman squad for the friendly vs. NZ in Spain. Immediately after that snub he switched to Haiti. 

Is he good enough to help them and perhaps be part of a team that hurts us? Could be.

Is he anywhere near a call up for Canada in our current depth chart, as an attacking winger? Think not.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With all this Tefler talk, no one seems to remember that Miki Cantave was on the Haiti team in the Gold Cup. Okay, at least he did not play in the 3-2 loss. But still: Miki probably should have been called into that first Herdman squad for the friendly vs. NZ in Spain. Immediately after that snub he switched to Haiti. 

Is he good enough to help them and perhaps be part of a team that hurts us? Could be.

Is he anywhere near a call up for Canada in our current depth chart, as an attacking winger? Think not.

Agreed. We can't call up every single person that is available for another nation just in case. Otherwise we'd be calling up Justin Springer in case we were to ever play St. Kitts..

17 hours ago, Obinna said:

Look, it doesn't matter if Telfer couldn't crack MLS. He has 3 goals in 6 games for T&T. That is far more relevant, wouldn't you say?

Umm...no.  Not when one of those goals came against Martinique and the other two came against Anguilla in a 15-0 win.  Your argument about him being their most in form striker also doesn't hold water when Marcus Joseph scored 5 for T&T that game.

Worrying about Ryan Telfer is as relevant as worrying about absolutely any other player on any other team.

Here's the perfect example: Fraser Aird.

Was never going to play for Scotland but still put in a Man of the Match performance when we played them.  The worry is that Telfer has a chip on his shoulder - not that we're missing his talent.  

Also, what's with the negativity toward Ongaro in this thread?!  Whether he reaches it is another story but he has crazy potential being 6'6 and a finisher.

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Also, what's with the negativity toward Ongaro in this thread?!  Whether he reaches it is another story but he has crazy potential being 6'6 and a finisher.

This I agree with. I was pretty impressed by this kid if he continues to grow he could be very valuable, especially considering his size and position (different than the other options). 

23 minutes ago, shamrock said:

This I agree with. I was pretty impressed by this kid if he continues to grow he could be very valuable, especially considering his size and position (different than the other options). 

To be fair, that like is only going from watching Eddies' highlights and loving having someone with that name talked about anywhere close to the national scene. 

58 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Umm...no.  Not when one of those goals came against Martinique and the other two came against Anguilla in a 15-0 win.  Your argument about him being their most in form striker also doesn't hold water when Marcus Joseph scored 5 for T&T that game.

Worrying about Ryan Telfer is as relevant as worrying about absolutely any other player on any other team.

Was Marcus Joseph eligible for Canada?

Whether Telfer is the most or second most or third most in form T&T player is not important. What is important is that Telfer, a player who could have been part of our wider pool, doesn't score against us and complicate our quest for the Hex. 

To put my "worry" in perspective, I would not be concerned if we were playing Emery Welshman and Guyana. We should beat that team easily. They are not in our class. However, for all their recent struggles, T&T are not Guyana. Let's not be cocky and forget that.

I think we should beat T&T in both games, but they are good enough to snatch points from us. Don't look past them, that's what the Americans would do. T&T are not Guyana and Telfer is not Welshman.

Finally, let's respect our opponents a bit and keep in mind we are not some mecca for concacaf player development. If they are good enough for Canada, even as a fringe player, we should want them to play for us. This is the perspective driving my unpopular opinion on Telfer.

We are not so good yet that we can shrug off players like Telfer. We shouldn't be worried, but we should at least be mildly annoyed at the prospect of him possibly coming back to haunt us. 

Edited by Obinna

52 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Here's the perfect example: Fraser Aird.

Was never going to play for Scotland but still put in a Man of the Match performance when we played them.  The worry is that Telfer has a chip on his shoulder - not that we're missing his talent.  

This. 

I am not saying Telfer would be a starter for Canada or would have even made our roster for this game. I am saying he is going to be lining up against us and he will be surely up for it and could score the goal that turns a win into a draw. That is just a fact and it would be very unfortunate considering we could have capped him.

Whether any of you personally rate him is besides the point I am making, because the CSA/Herdman said he was under consideration, so clearly he was good enough for Canada despite anyone's personal opinion. 

By the way, the Aird comparison has flaws. Scotland was not playing for anything meaningful (besides euro prep) and Aird was never seriously considered for Scotland. Aird scoring against them was not equivalent to shooting yourself in the foot, but Telfer scoring against us in such important matches would be.

25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Was Marcus Joseph eligible for Canada?

Whether Telfer is the most or second most or third most in form T&T player is not important. What is important is that Telfer, a player who could have been part of our wider pool, doesn't score against us and complicate our quest for the Hex. 

To put my "worry" in perspective, I would not be concerned if we were playing Emery Welshman and Guyana. We should beat that team easily. They are not in our class. However, for all their recent struggles, T&T are not Guyana. Let's not be cocky and forget that.

I think we should beat T&T in both games, but they are good enough to snatch points from us. Don't look past them, that's what the Americans would do. T&T are not Guyana and Telfer is not Welshman.

Finally, let's respect our opponents a bit and keep in mind we are not some mecca for concacaf player development. If they are good enough for Canada, even as a fringe player, we should want them to play for us. This is the perspective driving my unpopular opinion on Telfer.

We are not so good yet that we can shrug off players like Telfer. We shouldn't be worried, but we should at least be mildly annoyed at the prospect of him possibly coming back to haunt us. 

Had a long reply to this, but I lost it.

Coles notes:

Marcus Joseph was brought up to address your claim that Telfer was T&T's most in form striker.  He is not.

You've been going on for about six months about how Telfer was a missed opportunity when there was never really a chance to cap him.  We had been playing our best in Nations League and Gold Cup as we thought it was going to matter for seeding and he doesn't figure in our best 18.  Before that, he didn't deserve a call up.

For every Telfer we miss out on, we cap an Aleman and a Bustos and a Twardek and an Aird (I had more examples, but they're gone and I'm too tired to go look them up).  You can't play chicken little with the one that got away just because they might do something later.  Especially when there are clearly better options to take his place and clearly better options that deserved time on the pitch at the time when he was available.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This. 

I am not saying Telfer would be a starter for Canada or would have even made our roster for this game. I am saying he is going to be lining up against us and he will be surely up for it and could score the goal that turns a win into a draw. That is just a fact and it would be very unfortunate considering we could have capped him.

The next time we play the US, Pulisic may have a chip on his shoulder because of what happened in Toronto.  Are we going to derail every thread to discuss that too?

Edited by El Hombre

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Had a long reply to this, but I lost it.

Coles notes:

Marcus Joseph was brought up to address your claim that Telfer was T&T's most in form striker.  He is not.

You've been going on for about six months about how Telfer was a missed opportunity when there was never really a chance to cap him.  We had been playing our best in Nations League and Gold Cup as we thought it was going to matter for seeding and he doesn't figure in our best 18.  Before that, he didn't deserve a call up.

For every Telfer we miss out on, we cap an Aleman and a Bustos and a Twardek and an Aird (I had more examples, but they're gone and I'm too tired to go look them up).  You can't play chicken little with the one that got away just because they might do something later.  Especially when there are clearly better options to take his place and clearly better options that deserved time on the pitch at the time when he was available.

Good for us for capping those players.

We could have capped Telfer as well but chose not to because there were better options. Fair enough. That doesn't change the fact that we now face Telfer in two important matches. Telfer can be dangerous. He could score and it could cost us and that would obviously be unfortunate. Just because we passed on him because we had better options does not change the situation.

18 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

The next time we play the US, Pulisic may have a chip on his shoulder because of what happened in Toronto.  Are we going to derail every thread to discuss that too?

Talking about Telfer in a thread about upcoming games against T&T is not derailing this thread in the slightest. He is an opposing player with ties to Canada, so it is very much on topic. 

Once our roster comes out there will be more juicy things to discuss, but right now discussing Telfer is definitely fair game and his decision to play for T&T will be a talking point in the lead up for sure. If not on here then in the broadcast (assuming we get one).