Sign in to follow this  
Shway

Canada vs Trinidad Series - (March 23 - 31, 2020)

Posted (edited)

Discussion for the upcoming games.
(couldn't find the other thread)

Date: March 27th & 31st
Venue: Westhills Stadium

Edited by Shway

Posted (edited)

With the Olympic qualifiers going on at the same time, and with some crossover between the list. I think defensively we could possibly see this: Laryea, Cordova, Adekugbe, Vitoria, Henry, Jakovic, Waterman, Didic.

The way ZBG is playing right now for the Impact, it's hard not to say that he couldn't be considered a starter at RB, but it's also Laryea's performances keeping him "out", while allowing him to be in a solid defensive line for the Olympic team. 

Edited by Shway

Posted (edited)

Not sure if ZBG will be with the senior team. He is U23 eligible and was on the list of 50. I put him in the same category as Cornelius, Miller and Millar. If the plan was for them to be with the senior team I don't think they'd be listed, but they are so I will assume none will be available for the senior team:

--------------------Borjan-----------------

Laryea---Henry--Hutchinson--Davies

---------Kaye----Piette---Osorio-------

------David-----Cavallini----Hoilett--------

That is what I would like to see to start the game. If things are not going well perhaps take out Hoilett and push Davies to wide forward. I reluctantly start him in the back because I hope he's learned enough at Bayern to do the job well for Canada. In other words, I want to see if he can bring balance to the position and not be a liability like we saw against Haiti and the USA. If things go bad we can switch it up and not to overlook T&T but we are better than them at the moment so this may be the game to experiment with this once more. The games are only going to become more important, so if we are going to try him once more let this be the time. I think Herdman will go with Davies at left back anyways, so I am kind of factoring that in as well.

Edit: also leaving Arfield off because he left the last match injured and I don't know how serious it is. Piette is ahead of Eustaquio for now despite him not starting the season well in my opinion. I think Stephen has a much higher ceiling but for now I will go with the familiar face and since T&T are more physical it may call for Piette, at least to start the game and set the tone.

Edited by Obinna

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not sure if ZBG will be with the senior team. He is U23 eligible and was on the list of 50. I put him in the same category as Cornelius, Miller and Millar. If the plan was for them to be with the senior team I don't think they'd be listed, but they are so I will assume none will be available for the senior team:

Tough balance needs to be struck.  We obviously have win to those games but we should be able to with a little less depth.  And getting to the Olympics I think could be huge to non-soccer-supporting Canadians.  And therefore get us more money in the long run. Maybe. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Tough balance needs to be struck.  We obviously have win those games but we should be able to with a little less depth.  And getting to the Olympics I think could be huge to non-soccer supporting Canadians.  And therefore get us more money in the long run. Maybe. 

We should not be depending on a 21 year old RB with fewer than 20 games at MLS level to beat T&T.   I'll be baffled if he's there and not with our U23s.  We are going to control these matches and hopefully dominate, so Cordova or Laryea will be perfect for the role.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We should not be depending on a 21 year old RB with fewer than 20 games at MLS level to beat T&T.   I'll be baffled if he's there and not with our U23s.  We are going to control these matches and hopefully dominate, so Cordova or Laryea will be perfect for the role.

I was thinking of it from a different view, but I think we are talking about the same result.  I would love to see him in Mexico, if that wasn't clear.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I think we will be playing a "better" Trinidad squad than the squad we faced in June 11, 2019 - in which we had our best players in the squad.

My biggest fear is that Ryan Telfer comes back to haunt us....

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I think we will be playing a "better" Trinidad squad than the squad we faced in June 11, 2019 - in which we had our best players in the squad.

My biggest fear is that Ryan Telfer comes back to haunt us....

I have repeatedly voiced this concern despite people basically shrugging their shoulders at him turning away from our program. This was something to be lamented and it was treated with a collective "meh". 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I have repeatedly voiced this concern despite people basically shrugging their shoulders at him turning away from our program. This was something to be lamented and it was treated with a collective "meh". 

I think it was more about resignation.  Your options were to put him ahead of our current attackers (not going to happen), try to cap him knowing that he will likely not play (thereby ruining his international prospects), or accept the fact that we have progressed to the point where this is going to happen because  we can't collect players ("Gotta catch em all!").

If Tefler comes to haunt us, then any XX T&T player would have done the same if Tefler wasn't playing for them. This is a trying to reduce to regret bias.

If you're saying Tefler would have been selected for Canada for the T&T matches, then you're overvaluing him.

Meh...what can you do?  He wasnt getting calls from herdman and wasnt going to be a big part in our program in the next few years (unless something drastically changed).  T+T  was going to give him a chance and he chose that route.  If he can score against us, more power to him.  Hasnt he already played 6 games for them??  

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, red card said:

If Tefler comes to haunt us, then any XX T&T player would have done the same if Tefler wasn't playing for them. This is a trying to reduce to regret bias.

If you're saying Tefler would have been selected for Canada for the T&T matches, then you're overvaluing him.

Telfer has 3 goals in 6 games for T&T, so he is arguably their most in form striker. Therefore, I would have to disagree with you on that statement. It is not necessarily true.

Not saying Telfer would have been selected for Canada for the T&T matches by the way.

Edited by Obinna

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Meh...what can you do?  He wasnt getting calls from herdman and wasnt going to be a big part in our program in the next few years (unless something drastically changed).  T+T  was going to give him a chance and he chose that route.  If he can score against us, more power to him.  Hasnt he already played 6 games for them??  

Yes and has scored 3 goals for them.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

...because he's not remotely good enough to play for us. If we're seriously worried that one guy who couldn't make it in MLS is going to make Trinidad and Tobago too good for us to beat, then we might as well just shut down the CMNT. Trinidad already have multiple MLS players and a guy who plays in the Belgian First Division A, but yeah, Telfer is suddenly going to make them the greatest team in CONCACAF and we're going to be totally screwed. If we draw or lose to Trinidad, it's going to be because they were well-organized tactically and/or because we played badly, not because of Telfer.

Moreover, Caribbean teams getting better is good, because most of them aren't great and better competition is both good for the confederation in general and for us. If players who aren't good enough for Canada are part of that, then perfect. We shouldn't be fantasizing about ruining players' international careers for our entertainment; Telfer fills a great need up front for Trinidad, while he serves no purpose for the CMNT, and that's that.

1 minute ago, Zem said:

...because he's not remotely good enough to play for us. If we're seriously worried that one guy who couldn't make it in MLS is going to make Trinidad and Tobago too good for us to beat, then we might as well just shut down the CMNT. Trinidad already have multiple MLS players and a guy who plays in the Belgian First Division A, but yeah, Telfer is suddenly going to make them the greatest team in CONCACAF and we're going to be totally screwed. If we draw or lose to Trinidad, it's going to be because they were well-organized tactically and/or because we played badly, not because of Telfer.

Moreover, Caribbean teams getting better is good, because most of them aren't great and better competition is both good for the confederation in general and for us. If players who aren't good enough for Canada are part of that, then perfect. We shouldn't be fantasizing about ruining players' international careers for our entertainment; Telfer fills a great need up front for Trinidad, while he serves no purpose for the CMNT, and that's that.

This post makes me laugh! Overreact much? Telfer making T&T the best team in concacaf...come on now lol

Look, it doesn't matter if Telfer couldn't crack MLS. He has 3 goals in 6 games for T&T. That is far more relevant, wouldn't you say?

At any rate, if he scores against us and we end up dropping points it would be a real shame. That's where I am coming from. I would have much rather Telfer be a peripheral squad player for Canada than a top player for T&T, and we had the chance to cap him and didn't, so yah....hopefully he doesn't score against us in Victoria!

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes and has scored 3 goals for them.

Exactly, I am sure he is very happy with the decision he made. If by some chance he got called for canada, he prob would have got a 15min sub appearance to cap tie him and prob wouldnt have gotten 6 games in the next 3-4 years.  Look at Akendele, in last 3 years he has only gotten 4 games with CMNT, and he has got 150MLS games and 30+ goals. Raheem Edwards was in a very similar spot to Telfer (fringe MLS type), he got 4 games for canada a year or two ago and prob will never get another 4.  

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think it's cool that Canadians are playing for other teams. I can name 10 forwards ahead of Ryan Telfer in our depth chart so who cares

I don't care as long as he doesn't score against us and we don't end up dropping points as a result. Aside from that I am very happy for him and it's a big compliment to our depth, just don't want him doing well against us, considering he could have been a Canadian player. It would be unfortunate. 

Edited by Obinna

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Exactly, I am sure he is very happy with the decision he made. If by some chance he got called for canada, he prob would have got a 15min sub appearance to cap tie him and prob wouldnt have gotten 6 games in the next 3-4 years.  Look at Akendele, in last 3 years he has only gotten 4 games with CMNT, and he has got 150MLS games and 30+ goals. Raheem Edwards was in a very similar spot to Telfer (fringe MLS type), he got 4 games for canada a year or two ago and prob will never get another 4.  

For sure. Fully agree it is better for Telfer personally to have a T&T career. Just saying that is not good for us if he is scoring against us in big games though.