Canada vs Trinidad Series - (March 23 - 31, 2020)

Shway

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

1 case on Vancouver Island over half a dozen in BC, probably more on the way.

I haven't seen numbers for Vancouver Island, but there are or have been 46 cases in BC, not half a dozen. Half a dozen is about the number of new daily cases.

Date New cases Total Cumulative Sources
BC AB ON QC NB
Jan 28 1         1 1 [68]
Feb 4     3     3 4 [68]
Feb 5 1         1 5 [68]
Feb 7 2         2 7 [68]
Feb 17 1         1 8 [68]
Feb 21 1         1 9 [68]
Feb 24     1     1 10 [68]
Feb 25 1         1 11 [68]
Feb 27     2     2 13 [68]
Feb 28       1   1 14 [68]
Feb 29 1   5     6 20 [68]
Mar 1     4     4 24 [68]
Mar 2     3     3 27 [68]
Mar 3 1   2     3 30 [68]
Mar 4 4         4 34 [68][69]
Mar 5 8 1 3 1   13 47 [70][71][72][73]
Mar 6   1 5 1   7 54 [74][75][76]
Mar 7 6         6 60 [77]
Mar 8   2 4 1   7 67 [78][79][80][81][82]
Mar 9 5 3 3     11 78 [83]
Mar 10 7 7 1 3   18 96 [84][85][86]
Mar 11 7 5 6 1 1 20 116 [87][88]
Mar 12     17     17 133 [89]
Total 46 19 59 8 1 133  

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Canada

Interesting how numbers work.

I just did a logistic regression on the BC data Kent posted. There’s no inflection point yet, so no sense yet of where the number for BC tops out, but if you took as an example 9 new cases announced tomorrow the regression suggests the number would top out at 400 by late April; 10 new cases tomorrow and the number tops out at 1000; 11 new cases tomorrow and the regression would still have no inflection point and wouldn’t yet predict a levelling off. Such a fine line...  

Hoping that the game still goes on given that I’ve organized a group of 61, but it’s totally understandable if it doesn’t. Our local old guy soccer tournament here in Victoria for the weekend after this was just cancelled minutes ago as well. 

25 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Sort of on topic 

Mikel Arteta, Arsenal manager, has tested positive.  I can't see much pro sport being played anywhere, by the end of the month. 

And they just confirmed the games this weekend are still happening... players from other teams are being quarantined right now. This is absurd how they can go through with playing 

Edit: They now say they are rethinking having match days this weekend 

Edited by JuicyHam

23 minutes ago, JuicyHam said:

Edit: They now say they are rethinking having match days this weekend 

I just saw that as well, meeting in the morning. 

Just zipped through a rebroadcast and saw Arteta share a very close handshake with our manager last weekend.  Probably too serious a subject to make a joke about having mixed feelings.  

4 hours ago, Kent said:

I haven't seen numbers for Vancouver Island, but there are or have been 46 cases in BC, not half a dozen. Half a dozen is about the number of new daily cases.

Date New cases Total Cumulative Sources
BC AB ON QC NB
Jan 28 1         1 1 [68]
Feb 4     3     3 4 [68]
Feb 5 1         1 5 [68]
Feb 7 2         2 7 [68]
Feb 17 1         1 8 [68]
Feb 21 1         1 9 [68]
Feb 24     1     1 10 [68]
Feb 25 1         1 11 [68]
Feb 27     2     2 13 [68]
Feb 28       1   1 14 [68]
Feb 29 1   5     6 20 [68]
Mar 1     4     4 24 [68]
Mar 2     3     3 27 [68]
Mar 3 1   2     3 30 [68]
Mar 4 4         4 34 [68][69]
Mar 5 8 1 3 1   13 47 [70][71][72][73]
Mar 6   1 5 1   7 54 [74][75][76]
Mar 7 6         6 60 [77]
Mar 8   2 4 1   7 67 [78][79][80][81][82]
Mar 9 5 3 3     11 78 [83]
Mar 10 7 7 1 3   18 96 [84][85][86]
Mar 11 7 5 6 1 1 20 116 [87][88]
Mar 12     17     17 133 [89]
Total 46 19 59 8 1 133  

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_Canada

I've been on these forums for more than twenty years and never in a million years would I have imagined people posting content like this. It's all very sobering, really.

It reminds me in part that sport is a diversion, a distraction from the otherwise  (mostly) mundane everyday life and how, without it all we have is that mundane everyday life.

I'm living through this hell in Hong Kong, don't confuse this with the flu - the territory has been in state of panic for more than 8 weeks now, with everyone in masks and living in isolation. We go out every few days for groceries (and deal with runs on essentials), that's it. And we only have a hundred or so cases. This is basically a lost year.

Sports will return. We can then continue to lament how we should have and could have won matches, done better and will soon be a rising power. Until that time, be careful and stay safe everyone.

10 minutes ago, BCM said:

I'm living through this hell in Hong Kong, don't confuse this with the flu - the territory has been in state of panic for more than 8 weeks now, with everyone in masks and living in isolation. We go out every few days for groceries (and deal with runs on essentials), that's it. And we only have a hundred or so cases. This is basically a lost year.

Sports will return. We can then continue to lament how we should have and could have won matches, done better and will soon be a rising power. Until that time, be careful and stay safe everyone.

Let us know if there is anything we can do from this side of the world.

you got this!

20 minutes ago, BCM said:

I live in HK as well and not sure I agree with this characterization.  Anxiety levels have been high for sometime and the fact that HK took drastic steps early on (WFH, cancelling events, shutting the border with China) to control the virus when there were only a handful of cases, and people have kept up good hygiene practices has meant it and Singapore are the only two places that have really controlled the spread. I personally have not quarantined myself and in fact, I am typing this post from my office.   Most firms I know have some of their staff working from home, and spitting the rest between two or more sites so one doesn't impact the other.  Most people certainly are going out more than once every 3 days.

Frankly, its much better to be here now than any other place on earth as its the only place that has managed to somewhat control the virus (at least for now). 

20 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I live in HK as well and not sure I agree with this characterization.  Anxiety levels have been high for sometime and the fact that HK took drastic steps early on (WFH, cancelling events, shutting the border with China) to control the virus when there were only a handful of cases, and people have kept up good hygiene practices has meant it and Singapore are the only two places that have really controlled the spread. I personally have not quarantined myself and in fact, I am typing this post from my office.   Most firms I know have some of their staff working from home, and spitting the rest between two or more sites so one doesn't impact the other.  Most people certainly are going out more than once every 3 days.

Frankly, its much better to be here now than any other place on earth as its the only place that has managed to somewhat control the virus (at least for now). 

Well let's get a drink when things settle. There is a distinct difference in attitude between "locals" and "expats", and although in the latter category I have been here a long time and am influenced from the former - but I am sure you agree it hasn't been a joyful place to be this year. Schools cancelled since January (the great home schooling experiment -- my kids haven't actually been to school since November) and internet rumour induced shortages. If you're in an industry where you can work from home, firms and the government still advise to work from home. And as you said, others are splitting days. Retail sector is in dire straights because there's no tourists and HKers are for the most part avoiding restaurants and shopping. These measures are working but psychologically it is taking a toll.

I would also give credit to the people for being uber vigilant (they remember SARS and took quick action), not the government. They deserve credit for shutting the schools, but they didn't handle the border issue well at all (and it's not even shut, only certain crossings -- several thousand people still cross via SB and the airport every day). No need to bore everyone with more HK talk - happy to DM if you want to discuss.

Anyway, I hope it can be contained in Canada without these measures. But again, be vigilant and safe.

Only Russia, Ukraine, Turkey, Serbia and another small nation left to watch in Europe.

LigaMX matches still a go. They already get higher ratings than MLS in the US - so this will further the gap. Two on OneSoccer this weekend for those experiencing symptoms. 

South American leagues still going.

Edited by red card