Sign in to follow this  
Shway

Canada vs Trinidad Series - (March 23 - 31, 2020)

Posted (edited)

I'm not too sure. I actually see an opportunity 

I think due to unforeseen circumstances the entire process has now been tainted. If things turn around I think Concacaf should demand a playoff either between Canada & El Salvador or Canada, El Salvador, Panama & Curacao. Depending on probability going in to this upcoming window. It's the right thing to do 

Edited by SpursFlu

I won't be surprised if Concacaf keeps everything at status quo....these CMNT super fan (all of us) perspectives are beyond biased hope that I can only laugh to hide my pain. 

I feel we had fate in our hands, and it's now lost thanks to facking Covid -19. 

We just gotta go the lonnngggg way. 

The reality is that if games are prevented in future windows, countries absolutely have a claim that the process could be challenged.  Sure that is my biased Canadian point of view, but seeking some sort of playoff given the exceptional circumstances (as long as catching ES is mathematically possible) isn’t completely out to lunch.   

28 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The reality is that if games are prevented in future windows, countries absolutely have a claim that the process could be challenged.  Sure that is my biased Canadian point of view, but seeking some sort of playoff given the exceptional circumstances (as long as catching ES is mathematically possible) isn’t completely out to lunch.   

I would be flabbergasted if Concacaf lifted a finger to address this. The terrible qualifying format was to blame in the first place and they didn’t care. In the end it’s a choice between El Salvador and Canada. We’re not talking major players here. 

Posted (edited)

I would say that there is a very good claim for a reworked process here.  We would have to be the ones to bring the claim to the forum though because we were the ones with a reasonable chance and thus suffered the damage. 

Can anyone see that happening?  We would need Vic to stand up I feel.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

22 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I would say that there is a very good claim for a reworked process here.  We would have to be the ones to bring the claim to the forum though because we were the ones with a reasonable chance and thus suffered the damage. 

Can anyone see that happening?  We would need Vic to stand up I feel.  

I think the issue is they haven't left enough time for a different format.

That being said, its not out of the realm of possibility that this virus is still being an issue in September.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I think the issue is they haven't left enough time for a different format.

That being said, its not out of the realm of possibility that this virus is still being an issue in September.

The other bizarre thing about the format is they left 4 matchdays vacant for no apparent reason (June and October 2021) so there's plenty of time to make up the hex games at least.  

20 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The other bizarre thing about the format is they left 4 matchdays vacant for no apparent reason (June and October 2021) so there's plenty of time to make up the hex games at least.  

Apologies for my ignorance here, does this mean that CONCACAF could simply push everything back?  In other words, the June cut-off for the Hex could become September or December?

4 minutes ago, T.I.O.R. said:

The first and second legs of the semi-finals of the knock-out stage for the 7 to 35 countries in CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers are currently scheduled to be played between May 31st and June 8th of 2021, so it doesn't look like the June 2021 window is vacant. Also, the inter-confederation play-offs are currently scheduled to be played between October 4th and 12th of 2021.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF)

I should've clarified.  It is vacant for the hex path but not for the 7-35 path.

That playoff date has changed.  It was originally November.  

If there is any change in the format due to covid it will be because we lose more dates later in the year and now they will just change the hex to be a 5 team tournament or something. Nothing at all will be done to increase our odds of making it to the World Cup, and they certainly won’t extend qualifying backwards by making us play El Salvador.

+If we don't make the HEX it'll be because Canadians are worse at basic math than the Salvadoreños, and worse at public health control. At least that is the hard (tongue in cheek) conclusion we might have to make.

Especially the math. How can we be inept as to not be able to lay out a proper plan to get FIFA points in a system set up by the former CSA president? It is frankly embarrassing how we were out-manouvered mathematically, so that any possible superiority on the pitch will never get to play itself out.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

+If we don't make the HEX it'll be because Canadians are worse at basic math than the Salvadoreños, and worse at public health control. At least that is the hard (tongue in cheek) conclusion we might have to make.

Especially the math. How can we be inept as to not be able to lay out a proper plan to get FIFA points in a system set up by the former CSA president? It is frankly embarrassing how we were out-manouvered mathematically, so that any possible superiority on the pitch will never get to play itself out.

If we showed superiority on the pitch more, we would be ahead in the math.

Remember when the format was changed, we were almost 30 points behind El Salvador.  That would have been a somewhat less if we had beaten Haiti the month before.  And seriously cut into it with an upset or even some penalties in the next game or two (with no risk of lost points)   

But it was an awful format to base on less than a year of games, so we were behind the 8-ball.  We pulled off the big win we needed but did not come close to getting the draw against the States that would have given us the opportunity for a lot more points (as well as the points themselves).  We then lost to Iceland in a gamble. 

I would put the format and our performance before I would worry about the math.    

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The math part I get, but the public health control bit is silly.   We are doing what every country is or will be doing - shutting down large events.  Bad public health policy would be allowing these things to proceed. 

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The math part I get, but the public health control bit is silly.   We are doing what every country is or will be doing - shutting down large events.  Bad public health policy would be allowing these things to proceed. 

So that part is more tongue in cheek--but it really bothers me that we have been outmatched in simple arithmetics by El Salvador when the entire system was set up to favour us by our former president. This is a clear example of the ineptness of the CSA, if were just now, it would not matter. But it's endemic, it has been going on for decades, totally useless bunch we are subject to. 

I mean, if it is true that Canada has gotten way ahead of the game in terms of western nations for the coronavirus, that just means we have quality health professionals, and in comparison our football professionals are garbage.