Belal Halbouni

CanadaFan123

5 minutes ago, toontownman said:

At 22 he needs to be playing in a decent league for sure to develop further. Shame he hasn't got a chance with the main team already but he can't just sit in the reserves forever. 

I hope he doesn't end up like Junior's brother Jaineil, I think he was in a German reserve team into his mid 20s and then his career ended. I  remember he got one more shot with FC Dallas but couldn't stick.

Halbouni needs to play at a higher level soon.

30 minutes ago, Jay striker said:

His highlight tape looks great, mind you it’s a lower level.. he should definitely have his opportunity to shine soon enough 

It feels like we have been saying this for a couple of years now. If he doesn't break into the first team by next season or leave the club (be it on loan or otherwise) I will be seriously concerned.

Bremen are likely to jump straight back up, so if he can't break in now at the 2.Bundesliga level I am not confident he'll do so at the Bundesliga level. I am afraid he's going to have to leave in search of playing time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Anything to be read into here? Seems like a random tweet for a Tuesday afternoon

Would be really surprised if he were to be called. Frankly, I don't think it's deserved unless he's featuring for the first team. Fresh faces are always nice, however.

Joe Waterman should be ahead of him though, I think.

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Would be really surprised if he were to be called. Frankly, I don't think it's deserved unless he's featuring for the first team. Fresh faces are always nice, however.

Joe Waterman should be ahead of him though, I think.

I mean seeing as he's in off-season there's no harm in bringing him as part of an extended camp. But I agree at the least I'd put Waterman and MacNaughton ahead of him as far as new faces at CB

Just now, Approve My Account Pls said:

I mean seeing as he's in off-season there's no harm in bringing him as part of an extended camp. But I agree at the least I'd put Waterman and MacNaughton ahead of him as far as new faces at CB

Yup exactly. No problem with him coming in alonside Waterman and MacNaughton. I would have trouble justifying him ahead of either, however.

54 minutes ago, jordan said:

If he wasn't going to break through this was the right move. Dissapointing they don't see enough in him considering his performances and captaining for so long.

Next move is a big one for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely done. He’s only 22 as well, playing for a first team in Germany, great for a Canadian. Magdeburg was one of the bigger clubs in the East German bundesliga, and actually won a European club cup against Milan. They kinda got screwed when the Bundesligas merged, because they allocated teams to various tiers based on how they ended their last season, and unfortunately, they lost some players and their manager before that final season, and as a result finished poorly and were automatically relegated to what’s now considered the 4th division, and only returned to professional football in 2015.

They trounced the third division last year, so perhaps this is a team trying to finally take back their rightful place in a top flight league.

1. FC Magdeburg signs Belal Halbouni
1.fc-magdeburg.de June 1 2022

The defender comes from the regional league club Werder Bremen II

1. FC Magdeburg has signed Belal Halbouni. The 22-year-old comes from Werder Bremen II and played with his club in the Regionalliga Nord last season.

The 1.88 meter tall Canadian plays primarily in central defense and switched from FC London (Canada) to Werder Bremen II in January 2020. He made his competitive debut in Germany on February 21, 2020 in a 1-0 home game against HSC Hannover.

In total, Halbouni made 28 appearances in the regional league (three goals, two assists) for Werder Bremen II.

In addition, Belal Halbouni is part of the Canadian national team, but has not yet played an international match.

Otmar Schork, Sports Director of 1. FC Magdeburg:

"Belal is a young, talented player who received a very good education at Werder Bremen II. We trust him to take the next step with us in the 2nd Bundesliga.”

Christian Titz, head coach of 1. FC Magdeburg:

"Belal is a central defender who is capable of development and strong in one-on-one battles, whose speed meets many of the parameters that we were looking for."