Belal Halbouni

CanadaFan123

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a sign that we need to cool our expectations sometimes. He was doing well in tier 4 with Werder II  and some of us thought he'd be a dark horse candidate for Qatar with a move to tier 2. Probably should've moved to tier 3 rather than 2. He's obviously above tier 6 quality, just Magdeburg can only put him there. Hindsight is that he probably should've re-signed with Werder and looked for a tier 3 loan. 

Wikipedia is about as reliable as TransferMarkt but Halbouni is showing on Syria's wikipedia page for upcoming friendly vs Jordan.

Someone might want to dig into this further.  But have to think, where there's smoke, there's fire in this situation.  Not that he has shown he is ready for our program and perhaps he realizes this.  This wouldn't cap tie him but we may have just lost another dual national.

image.png

Edited by Corazon

In a YouTube video interview with a Syrian website I posted last month (on page 11), he said his main goal was team Canada not Syria. I don't see why he'd change at this point of his career. Maybe he's doing what we were supposed to do with Flores/Mitrovic and just showing up to a camp to check it out (and get some training in, since he's not playing with the Magdeburg A squad) 

Just now, Pottsy3 said:

If I recall, Babouli’s first call to Syria was discovered in similar fashions. Seems to be hard to find news releases on the Syrian squad.

The problem is they post it using their alphabet, so you can't easily do a search on twitter or google to confirm.

I think if you are Belal and Syria calls you into their national team, you take it. 

He may be Canadian through and through, and that may be his preference for international footy, but he'll be proud of his middle eastern roots, and nothing wrong with that. Not great news for us, but maybe it pushes his club to fast track him into the sqaud, which may do more to alert Canada than the actual call to Syria, perhaps.

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think if you are Belal and Syria calls you into their national team, you take it. 

He may be Canadian through and through, and that may be his preference for international footy, but he'll be proud of his middle eastern roots, and nothing wrong with that. Not great news for us, but maybe it pushes his club to fast track him into the sqaud, which may do more to alert Canada than the actual call to Syria, perhaps.

True and ultimately there's no justification to calling him up right now.