Belal Halbouni

CanadaFan123

What a great spot to land!  Hopefully he can get some immediate playing time next fall although I don't expect him to be at Qatar, he could be a huge addition for the next decade.  All signs show that he is interested in playing for Canada.

So far this offseason has got off to a great start for our players in terms of teams.

Brym has moved to the Dutch Eredivisie.

Halbouni has moved to the German 2. Bundesliga

It appears that Eustaquio will be staying on at Porto on a 5 year contract.

As of right now, Laryea will be playing in the Premier League with Nottingham Forest.

Adekugbe has been linked to some bigger clubs already.

I suspect Vitoria will leave Moreirense and hopefully find a decent landing spot.

I would suspect that Troyes will try and keep Ugbo on.

Both Larin & David are linked to some bigger clubs in top leagues as well.

Hopefully all are able to earn substantial playing time at their respective clubs.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Nicely done. He’s only 22 as well, playing for a first team in Germany, great for a Canadian. Magdeburg was one of the bigger clubs in the East German bundesliga, and actually won a European club cup against Milan. They kinda got screwed when the Bundesligas merged, because they allocated teams to various tiers based on how they ended their last season, and unfortunately, they lost some players and their manager before that final season, and as a result finished poorly and were automatically relegated to what’s now considered the 4th division, and only returned to professional football in 2015.

They trounced the third division last year, so perhaps this is a team trying to finally take back their rightful place in a top flight league.

Thanks for the background.

I know Magdeburg for the handball team, always in top flight and in fact leading the league this year with a few games left. In some parts of Germany, handball has a big following. And big handball cities are often not big football cities.

Sounds like he's going to get the chance to play, which is fantastic. 

If he can put up Kennedy like performances he absolutely has to be in the NT conversation. 

Also, didn't Hainault play with this club?

Edit: He did, from 2015-17, probably in the 3rd tier if I recall correctly. 2 goals in 33 games.

Edited by Obinna

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

Sounds like he's going to get the chance to play, which is fantastic. 

If he can put up Kennedy like performances he absolutely has to be in the NT conversation. 

Also, didn't Hainault play with this club?

Edit: He did, from 2015-17, probably in the 3rd tier if I recall correctly. 2 goals in 33 games.

After the World Cup everything is pointing to signs that Vitoria may be done, and Henry will have a leadership/not playing role in the squad. 

Unless a few guys pop out of nowhere our CB pool next will look like  Kennedy, Miller, Halbouni, Waterman, and Campagna 😆

2 hours ago, Shway said:

After the World Cup everything is pointing to signs that Vitoria may be done, and Henry will have a leadership/not playing role in the squad. 

Unless a few guys pop out of nowhere our CB pool next will look like  Kennedy, Miller, Halbouni, Waterman, and Campagna 😆

Lets continue boosting the Holmes hype train!  

• 3 weeks later...

Can’t wait to sing on the terraces when he plays for us:

White on white translucent black kits
Right at the back
Belal Halbouni’s red
The bats have left the bell tower
The victims have been bled
Red velvet lines the black box
Belal Halbouni’s red
Belal Halbouni’s red
Real red Real red Real red
Real red Real red Real red

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 2:02 PM, frmr said:

The latest Northern Futbol podcast has a Halbouni interview.

Love this kids mentality, sounds like a true winner.

If he has a good start to the year and if Waterman maintains his form I hope we see both in September. Could be a tight contest between Henry, Cornelius, Kennedy, Waterman, and Halbouni for those final spots. Not to mention we need to evaluate injury coverage as our CBs aren’t exactly spring chickens

16 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Love this kids mentality, sounds like a true winner.

If he has a good start to the year and if Waterman maintains his form I hope we see both in September. Could be a tight contest between Henry, Cornelius, Kennedy, Waterman, and Halbouni for those final spots. Not to mention we need to evaluate injury coverage as our CBs aren’t exactly spring chickens

I was thinking the same thing, what a great young man. Honest, sincere, excellent mentality, head down and hard working. Sound like he has a super family. Even seems to be in great communication with the coaching staff at the NT. 

This happens quite a bit with our players when I hear them interviewed, they impress me on a personal level, good smart guys, excellent pros and make us proud.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was thinking the same thing, what a great young man. Honest, sincere, excellent mentality, head down and hard working. Sound like he has a super family. Even seems to be in great communication with the coaching staff at the NT. 

This happens quite a bit with our players when I hear them interviewed, they impress me on a personal level, good smart guys, excellent pros and make us proud.

Agreed, to me he has that calmness and self assuredness that a lot of the best leaders and best CBs tend to have. Not saying that the talent will ever be that, but having those off-pitch qualities are things you cannot teach. Explains why he wore the armband a good amount for WB2 last year

1 hour ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Agreed, to me he has that calmness and self assuredness that a lot of the best leaders and best CBs tend to have. Not saying that the talent will ever be that, but having those off-pitch qualities are things you cannot teach. Explains why he wore the armband a good amount for WB2 last year

Does make sense. Seems like a solid kid. Much more to experience as well, only 22. The sky is the limit for this lad.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Halbouni, Kennedy and Smith all CBs in top 5 top flights within 3 years. That'd be amazing. 

Yeah - if we could have two or three young CBs that develop to the level of our other top players, we would be set for a decade.  Not that our CBs haven’t done a great job for us this cycle - they really have.  But Vitoria will likely retire from international footy after the WC and the others are either still works in progress or punching above their weight (at this level).  

Halbouni: Magdeburg stepped up after failed Whitecaps transfer

One team that was interested in signing Halbouni was Major League Soccer side Vancouver Whitecaps. “They wanted to sign me on loan, but the deal didn’t go through,” Halbouni said. Ultimately, that transfer failed as Whitecaps and Werder could not agree to the exact terms of the agreement. 

https://transfermarkt.us/s/WAj