Belal Halbouni

CanadaFan123

Didn't his contract with Werder expire? Why would the Whitecaps and Werder have to agree on a deal? If he's out of contract isn't it only a one sided transaction? 

Edit: I see it says Whitecaps wanted a loan. Maybe this was January? Or Van wanted Werder to resign him and send him over? Maybe didn't want to pay salary. 

Edited by rydermike

14 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Didn't his contract with Werder expire? Why would the Whitecaps and Werder have to agree on a deal? If he's out of contract isn't it only a one sided transaction? 

Edit: I see it says Whitecaps wanted a loan. Maybe this was January? Or Van wanted Werder to resign him and send him over? Maybe didn't want to pay salary. 

Must have been in the winter window, I would only make sense

They have 7 CBs, he's behind Lawrence (loan), Cacutalua and Bittroff (almost 34).

Stappmann, Sechelmann and Schmokel seem to be on his level. He's, at best, 4/7 in depth chart.

Sadly I don't see him getting much playing time this season. If everyone's healthy, it might even be hard to see field in the reserve.

Edited by MauditYvon

My expectation this season is for him is to get his feet wet and make anywhere from 5 to 10 apperarnces, then next season I expect him to build on that and contest to be a regular starter. I think that's realistic. Remember, it's a big jump to go from 4th division to 2nd.

Qatar is probably too soon, but if he can be something of a regular in 2.Bundesliga next season, I am sure he'll be getting selected to the Canadian national team and helping us build depth in a relatively shallow spot.

On 6/26/2022 at 1:02 PM, Shway said:

Let's goo. Another CB playing at these levels will be great!

I noticed that they brought in 5 CB's this window so he's probably staking his claim.
image.png.2c2a3730af02b72c7606630611fa77ab.png

This was always going to be the reality. 
It will be tough for him, but when he gets the opportunity he'll just have to take advantage of it.

On 7/17/2022 at 12:09 PM, MauditYvon said:

They have 7 CBs, he's behind Lawrence (loan), Cacutalua and Bittroff (almost 34).

Stappmann, Sechelmann and Schmokel seem to be on his level. He's, at best, 4/7 in depth chart.

Sadly I don't see him getting much playing time this season. If everyone's healthy, it might even be hard to see field in the reserve.

Lots can change in the course of a long season. He’ll need to put in the work on the training pitch and seize his opportunity when it comes. 

Kennedy doesn't start and is just subbed in late to save a result, and no one is worried.

Halbouni misses the team's first match and folks are seriously concerned. At the same level. 

I'd say we should be more concerned about Kennedy not being a starter, and should be thankful if Halbouni starts to get minutes and experience in B2.

3 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

Lots can change in the course of a long season. He’ll need to put in the work on the training pitch and seize his opportunity when it comes. 

Yeah, but his team only plays 34 league games + German Cup. And they will most likely fight to avoid relegation.

I really hope he makes it. Worst case scenario is that he plays the same level as Werder Bremen II.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Kennedy doesn't start and is just subbed in late to save a result, and no one is worried.

Halbouni misses the team's first match and folks are seriously concerned. At the same level. 

I'd say we should be more concerned about Kennedy not being a starter, and should be thankful if Halbouni starts to get minutes and experience in B2.

Isn't it too early to project Kennedy as a depth player? We have seen him lose his spot due to injury and fight his way back into the starting line up. Unless they made signings that pushed him down the depth chart, I expect Kennedy to get his fair share of starts, as always.

By contrast, Halibouni is new to this level and doesn't have multiple seasons of experience at this level, like Kennedy. I think that's why people are concerned. 

Edited by Obinna

As i was the one who first expressed the concern, I will just elaborate here a bit.  I agree with what others have said about him working his way into the side and seizing his opportunity.  However, I was hoping - emphasis on hope - that he would earn a starting place in pre-season or at least be on the bench and get into a match as a sub.  As others have mentioned Kennedy, kinda like he did if I recall correctly when he moved from Austria to B2.  As our CB pool is weak at the moment, I was really hoping he and/or Smith could make a breakthrough now so that they could get into the conversation for Qatar.

Obviously, the fact Kennedy hasn’t started is a bit concerning but he did make the bench and was at least a late sub.  Plus he has a body of work at this level, some of which has been a high performance level, so I am less concerned about him than a breakthrough from Halbouni.

5 hours ago, An Observer said:

As i was the one who first expressed the concern, I will just elaborate here a bit.  I agree with what others have said about him working his way into the side and seizing his opportunity.  However, I was hoping - emphasis on hope - that he would earn a starting place in pre-season or at least be on the bench and get into a match as a sub.  As others have mentioned Kennedy, kinda like he did if I recall correctly when he moved from Austria to B2.  As our CB pool is weak at the moment, I was really hoping he and/or Smith could make a breakthrough now so that they could get into the conversation for Qatar.

Obviously, the fact Kennedy hasn’t started is a bit concerning but he did make the bench and was at least a late sub.  Plus he has a body of work at this level, some of which has been a high performance level, so I am less concerned about him than a breakthrough from Halbouni.

Totally this.  Was really hoping Halbouni and/or Smith would break through.  We're weak and thin at CB, an injury here, another guy not getting minutes there and we're in really really bad shape.  James and Cornelius haven't had CANMNT minutes in forever....... but I sound like a broken record here.  

8 hours ago, An Observer said:

Makes sense. I would add that Kennedy was playing regularly in the Austrian B2 and for a club that's traditionally in the top flight. In fact, I believe they promoted shortly after he left. So that's a bit different from Halbouni's situation, as he joined the division from a reserve side. Kennedy was basically starting for an Austrian top flight when he departed, so he may have been more prepared to make an impact. I do share the optimism and hope about Belal and I think he'll eventually find his way, but we may have to be a little more patient than we had to be with Kennedy. Like I said before, if he can get his feet wet and make a handful of first team appearances, it sets him up for a bigger role the following season. That's when I really expect him to make an impact and begin breaking through with the Canadian national team as well. 

"Florian Kath (glandular fever) as well as Luca Schuler and Maximilian Franzke (both advanced training) will not be present at the KSC game. Belal Halbouni, Jamie Lawrence and Tatsuya Ito missed Friday's training session due to illness. Baris Atik had to sit out with a ligament strain."

https://1.fc-magdeburg.de/aktuelles/profis/pressekonferenz-vorkarlsruhe/9448

Edited by rydermike

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think this was ever posted (It's in English). Talks about his career.

9:30 is when they talk about International career. He can represent Canada, Syria, or Lebanon. He tries to dance around the question, but the interviewer basically gets him to admit Canada is the top choice. (Given he was being interviewed by an Arabic site, he was probably trying to sound non-committal to be respectful and not reject the country/people watching)

Edited by rydermike