2019 Canadian Premier League Attendance

I worked with a guy who had that slogan on a tattoo.   But seriously, I dont think the teams realize how much consternation goes into these numbers.  If some intern, or PR person fat fingers a number and oops, it was 3300 not 4300, who cares??  I would imagine they count their dollars a lot more closely and thats what really matters eh?  There are more posts and arguments on the CPL attendance thread than on the weekly Canucks abroad thread.  

29 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I worked with a guy who had that slogan on a tattoo.   But seriously, I dont think the teams realize how much consternation goes into these numbers.  If some intern, or PR person fat fingers a number and oops, it was 3300 not 4300, who cares??  I would imagine they count their dollars a lot more closely and thats what really matters eh?  There are more posts and arguments on the CPL attendance thread than on the weekly Canucks abroad thread.  

4566 being corrected to 3173 was obviously not caused by a simple typo. Beyond that nobody is forcing you to read any of these posts and there is really no need for you to constantly respond to a topic that you do not find interesting.

19 hours ago, MrsC said:

I'm very surprised by that.  I feel like I've gotten a good idea of how they handle the tickets, and they usually release all available tickets on Ticketmaster the night before.  Every game the seats I count as being 'sold' in TicketMaster the night before line up to be 200-500 less than the announced attendance, which makes sense with walk up sales added in.  On Sunday night I was seeing about 4000 tickets sold, so I was expecting 4200 to 4500 announced.  Very bizare. 

We need to see this happen a few more times for it to constitute a definite trend, but I guess it's possible that either the Valour or the league in general could have decided to change the basis for the numbers that are being announced away from a loose tickets distributed approach to something closer to actual.

Pure speculation from here on, but if I were in the front office of some of the teams I would be irked at being made to look bad on ticket sales in a potentially career threatening sort of way by generous looking attendance numbers being announced elsewhere, so it's easy to see what might drive a push for consistency on how crowds are announced on a league wide basis.

Not so easy to come up with a possible motivation in a Valour context unless there are financial implications to announcing a higher number than they really need to. Time will tell, basically because Winnipeg is the one market in the league where a lot of the financial details are likely to be released into the public domain due to the Bombers being community owned.

No number so far for the Forge game:

https://ca.soccerway.com/matches/2019/09/08/canada/canadian-premier-league/forge/york-9/2991873/

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/556jgo29fuov3dnc9aab1kqy2/stats

looked significantly lower than the recent Cavalry game judging from what you could see on Onesoccer.

Edit: now showing as 5267.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

After how sparse the crowd looked against Y9, the Forge finally seem to have grasped that they don't need both sides of the lower bowl:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianPL/comments/d2c7jd/forge_to_close_off_west_side_stands_for_2020/

I think this is a mistake.  A lot of people prefer one side or the other and most of the people around me (myself included) much prefer the west side.  You save some money by needing less staff but you piss off season ticket holders who are considering whether to reup for 2020.

53 minutes ago, Lofty said:

There is no good solution for 5,000 people in a 30,000 seat stadium.

Agreed, a smaller stadium would be ideal but not happening.  I haven't heard too many complaints from fans about the set up this year though.  

Personally as a season ticket holder I have not yet received any such email from Forge FC, so for now I'm going to treat that Reddit thread as suspicious.

I've received the email regarding Forge's change of seating next year, so it's true. Part of the rationale is that fans who were surveyed after the Antigua and CD Olympia matches indicated they thought there was a better atmosphere when we were all on the east side (other than club seats on the west). I selected our seasons seats on the west for several reasons so although I understand this decision am not happy about it. But I don't like change. Does this also mean Forge doesn't think they'll get more than 7,000 or so to games next year? This is a bit disheartening.

I can only comment on it as someone who watched a few games on One Soccer and from an aesthetics point of view the Winnipeg games look much better then Hamilton. Both cities have huge stadiums and generally crowds of 5k or 6k however Winnipeg looks like some people are in the stadium. Hamilton generally just looks very empty.

However I also respect being at the game might be totally different if everyone is one one side looking across at a totally empty stadium. 

As Lofty as said though there is really no good solution for 5000 people in a 25,000 or 30,000 seat stadium.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I can only comment on it as someone who watched a few games on One Soccer and from an aesthetics point of view the Winnipeg games look much better then Hamilton. Both cities have huge stadiums and generally crowds of 5k or 6k however Winnipeg looks like some people are in the stadium. Hamilton generally just looks very empty.

However I also respect being at the game might be totally different if everyone is one one side looking across at a totally empty stadium. 

As Lofty as said though there is really no good solution for 5000 people in a 25,000 or 30,000 seat stadium.

I didnt mind it at all.  Not optimal for the experience but I have always been close to the trench so that makes up for it.  I think WPG has opened up a few sections on the other side a few times this season with larger crowds.  Baby steps eh?  But having all the fans on the TV side sure cuts down on the constant negative whining about what the crowd "looked like" on TV to idiots that never go to games and probably havnt been to the stadium and get their info from some screen shots and reddit threads.  

9 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Personally as a season ticket holder I have not yet received any such email from Forge FC, so for now I'm going to treat that Reddit thread as suspicious.

This apparently was the email:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ForgeFC/comments/d2c23x/forge_seating_changes_for_2020/ezv0eg6?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Dear Co-Founder,

We've officially entered the final stretch of the CPL's Inaugural Season! While Coach Bobby and the team are focused on securing the top of the Fall Season table, our Forge FC business team is hard at work preparing for next season.

Today, we'd like to share with you an important update regarding Tim Hortons Field's seating configuration for 2020 Forge FC matches.

From day one, our club's goal has been to build the best possible match day experience for our fans. Following both of our Concacaf League matches this summer, we received resoundingly positive feedback from Co-Founders, supporters, and our players & coaches regarding the East Side-only (Sections 112 to 118) lower bowl seating layout, along with Club Level and Suite Level. We've heard you loud and clear! Having all of our lower bowl ticket holders together on the East Side creates a loud & vibrant atmosphere, a more intimate viewing experience and enhances the home field advantage our fans create for our players.

As a result, moving forward for the 2020 CPL season, all lower bowl seating will be on the East Side of Tim Hortons Field, in addition to Club Level and Suite Level on the West Side.

Great news, as a West Side Co-Founder (Sections 103 to 107) you will be receiving a complimentary upgrade on the East Side/Club Level next season, depending on your current season seat location. Your Forge FC ticket representative will be reaching out to you in the coming days to discuss in further detail. West Side Co-Founders will have the opportunity to 'test drive' seat locations on the East Side or Club Level during our remaining 2019 home matches.

If you plan on test driving seats on the East Side, be sure to explore the amenities and social spaces Tim Hortons Field has to offer, including the Coors Banquet Bar (behind Sec. 111), Craft Gardens (behind Sec. 118) and the FirstOntario Community Lounge (behind Sec. 119).

If you have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact a Forge FC customer service representative at 905-527-3674 or info@forgefootball.club

Together We Forge, Forge FC

9 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

...however Winnipeg looks like some people are in the stadium...

Thursday could be an exception, unfortunately. Unusually high numbers of blue dots on Ticketmaster.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/valour-fc-vs-forge-fc/event/1100566571311BF2

Something else to watch for this week is that Pacific appear to have closed their new stand behind the goal as tickets no longer appear to be on sale for it for the rest of their home games this season.

11 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Thursday could be an exception, unfortunately. Unusually high numbers of blue dots on Ticketmaster.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/valour-fc-vs-forge-fc/event/1100566571311BF2

Something else to watch for this week is that Pacific appear to have closed their new stand behind the goal as tickets no longer appear to be on sale for it for the rest of their home games this season.

Fall has officially hit Winnipeg and Thursday's forecast is particularly bad.

West is best, imo, at THF. The stands block the winds predominately out of the West, and the sun is behind you. My Ticats tickets are on the west for those reasons.

I wonder if they've already implemented the East-only strategy for single game tickets? The game against York seemed have noticeably more people on the east side from my perspective in 114.

18 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Nope, new stand is open, not a lot of fans there though but its a weekday. The family zone bleachers behind the net are gone for this one though, looks better without them and not needed at this point anyway.

Edited by CDNFootballer

Do we have the average weekday attendance versus weekend? 

The clubs consistently draw in the 2000s need to change something in their marketing approach. There has to be a better way to meaningfully engage with their local football communities better. 

We know these clubs are sustainable at 2k a game. Gate, and general game day, revenues are significant portion of the total revenue. 

Edited by hamiltonfan