4 hours ago, ted said:

Wait, what if they beat TFC and play in the Champions League? Do they play in both leagues? ;)

Yes, they would play 2020 CONCACAF League (because of last year’s championship) and 2021 Champions League (because of the hypothetical championship over TFC), and again in 2021 CONCACAF League (because of this year’s championship).

The problematic scenario that nobody at the CSA or CONCACAF has mentioned is if they win the Voyageurs Cup and also finish in the top 6 of CONCACAF League. Both of those would qualify them for the 2021 Champions League. Who would get their second spot? TFC as the Voyageurs Cup runners up? The 7th place team in CONCACAF League? If it is the CONCACAF League 7th place team, that robs Canada of a rightful spot. If it is TFC, which slot do they play under? Would it be the CONCACAF League slot which they otherwise have no way to qualify for? Or would it be the CAN1 spot which would seed them higher than Forge? Neither seems right to me.

I’m sure the plan is to just hope that scenario doesn’t happen, and then wing it if it does happen.

9 hours ago, nfitz said:

What if pigs fly?

Yeah, a CPL team will never be able to beat an MLS team. Oh wait, it happened last year already.

Obviously Forge are significant underdogs, but it is far from impossible. TFC are going to be playing a gruelling schedule, 2 games a week. They could very well have a number of injuries by the time this game rolls around. Plus it could be hard for them to get up for a game against Forge after either crashing out of the playoffs or coming off of the high of winning MLS Cup. Plus this time around it is a single match, not 2 legs. Single matches give more of a chance to the underdog.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just realized Forge have two ways into the CCL. If they win the Voyageurs cup, or if they make win the next round.

Either way they got an extended season on their hands, and it makes me wonder why they haven’t tried to strengthen. 

21 hours ago, Shway said:

I just realized Forge have two ways into the CCL. If they win the Voyageurs cup, or if they make win the next round.

Either way they got an extended season on their hands, and it makes me wonder why they haven’t tried to strengthen. 

Yeah, and the CSA and CONCACAF haven’t mentioned who will get the other spot in that scenario. I want Forge to do it if only to get this resolved, because I am pretty sure they don’t have a solution to the problem. Does TFC get to go (as Voyageurs Cup runners up) if Forge double qualifies? Or does the 7th place CONCACAF League team get in? If TFC gets in, then presumably they would go in the Voyageurs Cup winners spot since they didn’t even compete in CONCACAF League, but then that would seed TFC higher than Forge, which doesn’t seem right. If the 7th place team from CONCACAF League gets in, that means Canada effectively give up our direct CCL spot to another country, that doesn’t seem right either. So does Forge go in as Voyageurs Cup champs and TFC are a special second Canadian slot? That makes the most sense, but it’s a tailor made exception rather than a predetermined process like what is set out before everyone else.

P.S. If Forge beats Tauro, that doesn’t necessarily qualify them for CCL.

15 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, and the CSA and CONCACAF haven’t mentioned who will get the other spot in that scenario. I want Forge to do it if only to get this resolved, because I am pretty sure they don’t have a solution to the problem. Does TFC get to go (as Voyageurs Cup runners up) if Forge double qualifies? Or does the 7th place CONCACAF League team get in? If TFC gets in, then presumably they would go in the Voyageurs Cup winners spot since they didn’t even compete in CONCACAF League, but then that would seed TFC higher than Forge, which doesn’t seem right. If the 7th place team from CONCACAF League gets in, that means Canada effectively give up our direct CCL spot to another country, that doesn’t seem right either. So does Forge go in as Voyageurs Cup champs and TFC are a special second Canadian slot? That makes the most sense, but it’s a tailor made exception rather than a predetermined process like what is set out before everyone else.

P.S. If Forge beats Tauro, that doesn’t necessarily qualify them for CCL.

I would think that they'll go with the simplest solution: TFC would take the Voyagers Cup spot and Forge would retain the CONCACAF League spot.  I would predict that some people on here would be incredibly upset by this and begin claims of "MLS conspiracy".  I would suggest that if this scenario plays out, people should settle down and Forge won't care that much - they'll be too busy celebrating a Voyagers Cup win.

Yeah, what Narduch said. TFC would likely be playing a Central American team, while Forge would either be playing a Mexican team or an American MLS team. It really would really suck for Forge to be penalized for doing too well. Meaning, they would be better of getting knocked out of CONCACAF League next round and winning Voyageurs Cup than winning CONCACAF League outright as well as Voyageurs Cup.

On 10/24/2020 at 11:06 AM, narduch said:

That doesn't make any sense as the Voyageurs Cup spot would be higher seeded.

That would be a stupid decision.

So Forge's award for knocking off TFC would be a harder go in the CCL?

I'm not disagreeing with that.  I'm just saying it's the easier and less complicated decision, and that it's the one the CSA will likely take.

37 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I'm not disagreeing with that.  I'm just saying it's the easier and less complicated decision, and that it's the one the CSA will likely take.

It isn’t even clear whose decision this is. In this hypothetical scenario Forge would have qualified 2 times, one of those spots is awarded by the CSA (Voyageurs Cup) and the other is awarded by CONCACAF (CONCACAF League). Which body has to find a replacement team?

So am I following this correctly?  

Placing  high enough in MLS wins you through to Champions League.

Advancing deep enough in CONCACAF League wins you through to Champions League.

Winning the Voyageur's Cup wins you through to Champions League.

And the highest seeding awarded through these three routes is for qualifying via the MLS route?

What am I missing?  How does this not make sense?

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

So am I following this correctly?  

Placing  high enough in MLS wins you through to Champions League. False (Not for Canadian teams)

Advancing deep enough in CONCACAF League wins you through to Champions League. True

Winning the Voyageur's Cup wins you through to Champions League. True

And the highest seeding awarded through these three routes is for qualifying via the MLS route? False, its the VC (see your first question)

What am I missing?  How does this not make sense?

You're rightly confused, I've answered the questions. 

My understanding is the higher seed is awarded through winning the Voyageurs Cup (due to it being contested for by both CPL & MLS teams). Which earns a birth into the Concacaf Champions League.
The CPL Champions earn a birth to the Concacaf League.

The dilemma is if Forge FC win the Voyageurs cup in addition to their CPL Championship, which slot do they take. For me it's not rocket science, as they would take the higher seed. The part that should be in question is, who does the CL spot go to....TFC or HFX. To me since the CL spot isn't contested for by MLS teams, it should go to HFX.

The MLS dilemma for TFC is if they win the Supporters Shield...but it's been said (confirmed by Concacaf?) that even if they do, they will not earn the spot into Concacaf Champions League because its an American spot. 

So my dream parlay scenario is:
- Forge beat TFC in the Voyageurs Cup
- Forge advance far enough in the CL to earn CCL spot
- TFC win Supporters Shield
- TFC win MLS Cup

Edited by Shway