Concacaf Announces Scotiabank Concacaf League Expansion

• Canadian Premier League gets 1 spot as of July 2019 (Whoever has the most points by then?)
  • 22 clubs
  • 12 Clubs plays (home/away) on the 1st round. Winners joined the next 10 highest ranked teams in Round 2 for the Round of 16 (Knockout Stage)
  • The Winner of the CONCACAF League goes to 2020 Champions League
  • The remaining 15 clubs will be ranked from 1 to 15
  • Best next 5 also joins 2020 Champions League

CPL path to the 2020 Champions League

1. A CPL club must make it to the round of 16 by winning in round 1.
  2. That club must advance to the quarter finals to be part of the final 8

A-If the CPL Club wins, they automatically advance to the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League

B-If they lose, they most rank as the top 2 of the losing teams from the quarter finals (tie breakers) to advance to 2020 CONCACAF Champions League

https://www.concacafleague.com/en/article/concacaf-announces-scotiabank-concacaf-league-expansion

The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf) today announced that the Scotiabank Concacaf League – the official club championship for Central American and Caribbean clubs – will expand from 16 to 22 teams to include five additional Central American clubs and one Canadian Premier League club for 2019 and beyond. The competition will additionally now serve as the qualifying tournament for Central America clubs to the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League. 

“We are very excited to take a major step forward to enhance our expanded Concacaf Club Competition Platform,” said Concacaf General Secretary Philippe Moggio. “We are creating a larger Scotiabank Concacaf League that will increase the opportunities for our members in the Caribbean and Central America to play more relevant, competitive matches. With 22 teams participating, the window of access is wider, providing greater chances to qualify to the region’s premier tournament for clubs, the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League.” 

The competition, which will continue to be played in a knockout format, will now kick off with a preliminary round in July. The 12 clubs set to participate in this initial round will be drawn into six home-and-away fixtures. The winners, to be determined on aggregate goals, will join the top nine ranked Central American clubs and the runner-up of the Caribbean Club Championship in the Round of 16.

In addition to qualifying its champion to the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League, the tournament will qualify an additional five teams. At the end of the competition, clubs will we ranked 1-15, in accordance with the competition tie-breaking procedure. The top five ranked clubs will automatically qualify for the 2020 edition of the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League.

For 2019, the Member Association slots have been allocated as follows (in alphabetical order by Member Association): 

Preliminary Round (12 clubs): Belize 1, Canada 2, Caribbean 3, Caribbean 4, Costa Rica 3, El Salvador 2, El Salvador 3, Guatemala 2, Guatemala 3, Honduras 3, Nicaragua 2 and Panama 3

Round of 16 (10 + 6 winners of the Preliminary Round): Caribbean 2, Costa Rica 1, Costa Rica 2, El Salvador 1, Guatemala 1, Honduras 1, Honduras 2, Nicaragua 1, Panama 1 and Panama 2.

The venue, date and time for the official draw that will sort the participating clubs for the preliminary round and round of 16 will be announced in the coming months.

Inaugurated in 2017, the Scotiabank Concacaf League has opened the door for a wider participation of Caribbean and Central American clubs, providing them an opportunity to play more relevant matches, at a higher level and the possibility of qualifying for the Confederations premier competition for clubs, the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League.

Edited by Ansem

The number following each country name appears to be the number of the place allocated to that country, rather than the number of places. In case others scratch their heads as I did initially.

Also, what they are calling a LEAGUE seems to be a knock-out competition, which is normally called a CUP. Sigh. Is it not really just CCL qualifying? Or CCLQ?

Edited by dsqpr

"The competition, which will continue to be played in a knockout format, will now kick off with a preliminary round in July."

Since we are anticipating at least a double interlocking schedule for CPL, this timing presumably allows for a single interlocking schedule to be completed so that the CPL team with the most points at that juncture will be credibly allocated the CPL place in CCLQ.

2019 CONCACAF League

Round 1 (Home and away)

1. Belize (1)
  2. Canada (1)
  3. Caribbean (2)
  4. Costa Rica (1)
  5. El Salvador (2)
  6. Guatemala (2)
  7. Honduras (1)
  8. Nicaragua (1)
  9. Panama (1)

Total of 12

*Winners (6 teams) advances to Round 2

Round 2 (Round of 16)

10 teams + the winners (6 teams) from Round 1

1. Caribbean (1)
  2. Costa Rica (2)
  3. El Salvador (1)
  4. Guatemala (1)
  5. Honduras (2)
  6. Nicaragua (1)
  7. Panama (2)
  8. Round 1 Winners (6)

Total of 16 teams

Who qualifies to the 2020 CONCACAF League Champions

1. 2019 CONCACAF League Champions advances to 2020 Champions League
  2. Semi-Finalists automatically advance to 2020 Champions League (4 teams including the champion)
  3. Top 2 losing teams of the Quarter-Finals advances to the 2020 Champions League

2020 Champions League

Qualified - 10 teams

1. Mexico (4)
  2. USA (4)
  3. Canada (1)
  4. CONCACAF Caribbean Club Championship (1)
  5. 6 teams from CONCACAF League

Total of 16

Total of 32 teams overall

Why no group stage instead?

• 8 groups of 4 (Random draw)
  • Best 2 of each group advances to Round of 16

Edited by Ansem

49 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

The number following each country name appears to be the number of the place allocated to that country, rather than the number of places. In case others scratch their heads as I did initially.

Also, what they are calling a LEAGUE seems to be a knock-out competition, which is normally called a CUP. Sigh. Is it not really just CCL qualifying? Or CCLQ?

I think its that they are mirroring the European Champions League, and the Europa League, neither of which are really called "cup" but obviously serve the function of continental cup. 

Can't we just put out a select CPL XI for this year lol. 

Interesting to see how they handle this. I think Ansem has the most logical solution with whomever is leading the league come July.  That said if they do split the season into two mini leagues (which doesn't look the case but who knows until the schedule is announced) we would likely have a champion in July. 

I like this solution to the argument in the other thread. This gives all Canadian clubs the chance to automatically qualify for the CCL through the V-Cup and then the CPL its own spot to try and earn their way as the National league. If the league grows in quality and stability in a few years maybe they can revisit Canada's allocation of spots. 

1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

I think its that they are mirroring the European Champions League, and the Europa League, neither of which are really called "cup" but obviously serve the function of continental cup. 

Sure, but those competitions actually are "leagues".

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Can't we just put out a select CPL XI for this year lol. 

Interesting to see how they handle this. I think Ansem has the most logical solution with whomever is leading the league come July.  That said if they do split the season into two mini leagues (which doesn't look the case but who knows until the schedule is announced) we would likely have a champion in July. 

I like this solution to the argument in the other thread. This gives all Canadian clubs the chance to automatically qualify for the CCL through the V-Cup and then the CPL its own spot to try and earn their way as the National league. If the league grows in quality and stability in a few years maybe they can revisit Canada's allocation of spots. 

If they don't split the season:

•  Every points will count! Every matches will be life and death!!!
  • Competitive? Hell yeah
  • Increases CPL attractiveness to players? Certainly... better than signing in Ottawa or USL, sorry guys, you're missing out :D
  • Could this be one of the reasons why the salary cap hasn't been release? Perhaps, this info is CRUCIAL in coming up with a final salary cap figure. Sure the league doesn't to overspend but they don't want their champions getting destroyed in Round 1. right?
  • Pursuing better international signings for the remaining roster spots? Likely as a follow up to my previous point (no I'm not talking La Liga guys at $5M a year)
  • U21 players? They might see more minutes past July!

Logically this means that the 2019 CPL Cup winner (end of season) would then qualify for the 2020 CONCACAF League

PS: Ottawa Fury are missing out!!!

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, and not trying to shit on the Fury, but do we have any evidence they are so motivated to rep Canada that this would change their opinion of CPL?  Their recent actions don't exactly scream patriotism, so I am not sure they will actually care.

Yeah, I'm not sure the Fury FO especially cares if they make continental competitions.  It's certainly not going to be their overriding concern at the very least.

Edited by Gopherbashi

51 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yep, I expect them to get massively pissed off. Can't argue Costa Rica got royally screwed here.

Please give me a moment while I shed a tear for the plight of the Central American countries.  Oh wait, after years of getting fucked over by their diving and cheating I couldn't give two shits about their perecieved sense of injustice.  We are goddamn well due a bit of good fortune in this region, and if it comes at the expense of Central America, I consider it a bit of delayed Justice. 

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, and not trying to shit on the Fury, but do we have any evidence they are so motivated to rep Canada that this would change their opinion of CPL?  Their recent actions don't exactly scream patriotism, so I am not sure they will actually care.

The club certainly doesn't appear to be, but the fans may.

59 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Logically this means that the 2019 CPL Cup winner (end of season) would then qualify for the 2020 CONCACAF League

It depends. If our rep this year goes deep, then yes, Canada 2 will get a Champions spot for 2020. 

If not, then we would have to designate our league winner as our 2nd rep, who would then start in the prelim round of 12 in July 2020. 

4 minutes ago, Senorpopps said:

3 spots representing the 10+ Caribbean leagues (among which several are professional) is not that much at all!

+1 straight to Champions League. They are still showing as qualified for 2020. That's 4 overall across all competitions. More than Costa Rica even