40 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

That is a really good idea. If you project out for sake of argument, I'll include Forge

Forge

Marathon

Saprissa

Independent

Tauro

San Carlos 

Herediano

Montague

That's a no joke competition but 14 weeks is pretty long and strenuous. Maybe the 4 QF loosers go in to a group?

There will be no such group. All will be eliminated from CL, but the best two will earn a CCL spot.

They are to be ranked in a table based on results in previous rounds, excluding the preliminary round 

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

It's not about being too good for CONCACAF league, it's about who deserve that CCL spot?

A team that has to be 1st overall throughout 28 games?

Or

A team that could potentially only need to win between 2 to 3 games out of 4 or 6 games?

Technically speaking, no team has to win anything to win the Voyageurs Cup, since the final tie is home and away. Just drawing effectively, TFC drawing 1-1 away twice and 0-0 at home twice, and they win it. They could win it with no wins, four draws and 2 goals.

To go further along this line, they could win it with zero goals, and winning two penalty shootouts for semis and the final round. So that would be winning matches but not in regular time and not by outscoring in regular time. 

Now someone will come up with the formula whereby you could win the CPL championship by winning the least number of matches, but I am not going to do that calculation. You could win the CPL championship if every match played the entire season were a draw, and you drew with most goals. But that is not probable, whereby a no win victory of the Voyageurs Cup increases in reasonable probability the less matches you play. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

For Forge to beat a team that have been playing together for years compared to the few months that Forge have played with each other is amazing. Props to them and putting the league in the spotlight

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Personally

Canadian Championship = Champions League

CPL Champion = Champions League

(2) CPL playoffs participants=CONCACAF League

My only suggested edit would be to award the CONCACAF League spot to the top overall team at the end of the season. Now that we have a single table, I feel like proving yourself as top overall means a bit more. 

7 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

My only suggested edit would be to award the CONCACAF League spot to the top overall team at the end of the season. Now that we have a single table, I feel like proving yourself as top overall means a bit more. 

By default, the top overall team is guaranteed a CL spot by advancing straight to the finals.

By attaching CCL to the CPL Championship you make the CPL Finals a much bigger deal as that team will be fighting to upgrade their CL spot to CCL.

7 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Well that's not something completely unheard of. In the Belgian top flight, they also have a championship playoff, however the winner of the regular season is guaranteed of at minimum a Europa League qualifying spot (3rd round). I actually wish that more leagues that have playoffs did something like this

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

By default, the top overall team is guaranteed a CL spot by advancing straight to the finals.

By attaching CCL to the CPL Championship you make the CPL Finals a much bigger deal as that team will be fighting to upgrade their CL spot to CCL.

I guess I'd just take a different perspective. I'm personally not a fan of the bye and play-in match set-up introduced; I'd rather see the top four teams in the table have a standard playoff format. If this were the case, I'd have the top team in the table (the Premier, in A-League terminology) get a CONCACAF League spot and the CCL spot tied to the winner of the playoffs (the Champion, again in A-League lingo). This way, both the Premier and Champion are recognized, teams have to fight that little bit harder to earn each of those titles, and the Premier still has the chance to upgrade their CONCACAF ticket. 

Disclaimer: In following the CPL more and more closely, I've really gotten into A-League football as I tried to find something of a comparable success story. I really like their format, the culture they've built, and the fact that they've manage to build an 11 (soon to be 12) team national pro league in a massive, sparsely populated country (sound familiar?). So I *may* be biased in my perspective.  

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought a big part of having a single table was to put an emphasis on the regular season.  With that in mind, wouldn't you want to give the league champion the CCL spot?

I created a topic on a potential future format of the CCL & CL for 2023

-Canadian Championship winner : CCL

-Top 4 CPL teams

CPL Champion : CCL

CPL Finalist : CCL playoffs 

3rd & 4th overall: CL

Edited by Ansem

• 5 months later...
On 8/7/2020 at 11:29 PM, Trois Reds said:

First two rounds are one-offs at the higher ranked teams home, followed by two legs for the semis and finals.  CAN2 is lowest in the rankings, so Forge would have to win twice on the road to be able to play a home date in the semis.

So we're talking December / January for a Forge home date...

That seems ... less than good. I mean, the Grey Cup is expected to be cold AF, but that's a whole new level of insane. On the upside, the central american teams might just freeze solid.

• 1 month later...