On 2/16/2019 at 9:39 AM, baulderdash77 said:

I imagine that if a CanPL team wins the Canadian Championship and the CanPL championship they will take the direct CCL spot and the 2nd place CanPL team will take the CONCACAF league spot.

I think you missed the point. CONCACAF League and Canadian Championship happen at roughly the same time. So the 2019 CPL champs have already taken the 2020 CONCACAF League spot before they win the 2020 Canadian Championship.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:55 AM, Alex D said:

It would have to be the CL winner and V Cup runner up qualifying for the CCL with the CPL champ in the CL. This is an interesting loop hole that would see 3 Canadian clubs in continental play every time we win the CL. Concafun!

I don’t see how you are getting 3 Canadian teams. We get one team in CONCACAF League and if they finish top 6 they move on the the Champions League alongside the Voyageurs Cup winners. Unless you are counting the same team twice, you can’t get to 3 teams.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:36 PM, dsqpr said:

Here is another more obvious problem: how is a CPL team supposed to be ready to play in a competition that starts over 2 months prior to the start of the CPL season? Are players supposed to show up for pre-season training OVER TWO MONTHS EARLY?! And how do they get match fit? And stay match fit? A mini-season of friendlies? Against whom? And how do you get sharp playing matches where the result counts for nothing?

Yes, it will be a disadvantage, just like MLS teams complain about the same disadvantage (but it’s more extreme for CPL teams).

38 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don’t see how you are getting 3 Canadian teams. We get one team in CONCACAF League and if they finish top 6 they move on the the Champions League alongside the Voyageurs Cup winners. Unless you are counting the same team twice, you can’t get to 3 teams.

Ah yes, i did. My bad

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I think you missed the point. CONCACAF League and Canadian Championship happen at roughly the same time. So the 2019 CPL champs have already taken the 2020 CONCACAF League spot before they win the 2020 Canadian Championship.

But if they win the 2019 Cpl Championship and Voyageurs cup they will get both the ccl spot and Concacaf league spot for 2020 meaning 2nd place Canpl would get the Concacaf league spot for 2020

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yes, it will be a disadvantage, just like MLS teams complain about the same disadvantage (but it’s more extreme for CPL teams).

Playing the first matches a couple of weeks before your season starts is a disadvantage. Playing the first matches TWO MONTHS and a couple of weeks before your season starts is something else entirely.

5 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

But if they win the 2019 Cpl Championship and Voyageurs cup they will get both the ccl spot and Concacaf league spot for 2020 meaning 2nd place Canpl would get the Concacaf league spot for 2020

But CCL and CL happen at different times of the year. But it does bring up an interesting point. It will probably be pretty common for Central American teams to play in CCL and CL in the same calendar year. 6 teams will qualify for CCL via CL, and likely most of those teams will be Central American. Then all that needs to happen is one of those teams to finish in the top 3(?) or so in their league. So they would be in, for example, 2019 CL, 2020 CCL, and 2020 CL. Depending on how deep they go in those, that’s a lot of extra soccer.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:52 PM, Kent said:

But CCL and CL happen at different times of the year. But it does bring up an interesting point. It will probably be pretty common for Central American teams to play in CCL and CL in the same calendar year. 6 teams will qualify for CCL via CL, and likely most of those teams will be Central American. Then all that needs to happen is one of those teams to finish in the top 3(?) or so in their league. So they would be in, for example, 2019 CL, 2020 CCL, and 2020 CL. Depending on how deep they go in those, that’s a lot of extra soccer.

For that matter, it could quite easily happen to a CPL team too: finish top 6 in 2019 CL and win 2019 CPL (if you accomplish the former you are surely a contender for the latter). Bingo -- you are now in 2020 CCL and 2020 CL. I really think it should be "either or", and in this case the CPL runner up should take the CL place. Your V Cup scenario is more interesting.

Edited by dsqpr

14 hours ago, dsqpr said:

For that matter, it could quite easily happen to a CPL team too: finish top 6 in 2019 CL and win 2019 CPL (if you accomplish the former you are surely a contender for the latter). Bingo -- you are now in 2020 CCL and 2020 CL. I really think it should be "either or", and in this case the CPL runner up should take the CL place. Your V Cup scenario is more interesting.

If their spot in the 2020 CL was given to the second place team, that means they are giving up their shot to get to the 2021 CCL (outside of winning the Voyageurs Cup that is.

35 minutes ago, Kent said:

If their spot in the 2020 CL was given to the second place team, that means they are giving up their shot to get to the 2021 CCL (outside of winning the Voyageurs Cup that is.

Good point! I think the whole thing needs a re-think. It has clearly not been thought through carefully enough.

Early days though.

23 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Playing the first matches a couple of weeks before your season starts is a disadvantage. Playing the first matches TWO MONTHS and a couple of weeks before your season starts is something else entirely.

I disagree or i think this is way exaggerated. The first round is now set up for most teams to be a total tap in. By the time mls teams get to 2nd or 3rd rd there should be no excuses. MLS come from the american sports playbook. They just dont want to share or play nice with anything but they do get soccer culture is different. They want to try but not try too hard so when things dont work out they can save face. Loys of love to tfc for showing the calue of this tournament 

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I disagree or i think this is way exaggerated. The first round is now set up for most teams to be a total tap in. By the time mls teams get to 2nd or 3rd rd there should be no excuses. MLS come from the american sports playbook. They just dont want to share or play nice with anything but they do get soccer culture is different. They want to try but not try too hard so when things dont work out they can save face. Loys of love to tfc for showing the calue of this tournament 

Are you talking about for MLS teams? Or for a potential CPL team that gets in via the CONCACAF League?

If you are talking about MLS teams, you are mostly right, but SKC is drawn against a Mexican team (Toluca) this year. Last year of course TFC and Colorado were drawn against each other, so obviously that can't be a tap in for both of them. And the Central American team's can't be completely overlooked. Last year Dallas lost to Tauro from Panama. I am a TFC fan but if I had to bet money right now I would pick Independiente from Panama to elminate TFC (no Giovinco, no Vazquez, and sounds like no Altidore yet, plus a very lackluster and threadbare preseason).

If you are talking about for a CPL team getting in via the CONCACAF League, presumably they would be in Pot B, and all of the Pot A teams will be Mexican, American (MLS) or Canadian (presumably also MLS, but likely wouldn't be allowed to be drawn against a CPL team anyways). So a Mexican or MLS team will be the overwhelming favourite over Forge, or Valour or whoever in the first round.

1 hour ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

MLS is a pathetic excuse of a soccer league. 

If the league that's unquestionably number 2 in Concacaf is a pathetic excuse of a soccer league, I hate to think what that says about the leagues that are ranked lower!

Edited by nfitz

3 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

MLS is a pathetic excuse of a soccer league. They should be playing in the 1st round. CPL should be in Pot B at least.

Why do you hate it so much though? I agree with you that MLS has lots of stuff that seems arbitrary and gimmicky, of course I’m way more excited by the CPL, and I’m glad that it’s a more traditional league... but I just don’t get why every issue is an opportunity for you to shit on MLS. What’s the deal?

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Are you talking about for MLS teams? Or for a potential CPL team that gets in via the CONCACAF League?

If you are talking about MLS teams, you are mostly right, but SKC is drawn against a Mexican team (Toluca) this year. Last year of course TFC and Colorado were drawn against each other, so obviously that can't be a tap in for both of them. And the Central American team's can't be completely overlooked. Last year Dallas lost to Tauro from Panama. I am a TFC fan but if I had to bet money right now I would pick Independiente from Panama to elminate TFC (no Giovinco, no Vazquez, and sounds like no Altidore yet, plus a very lackluster and threadbare preseason).

If you are talking about for a CPL team getting in via the CONCACAF League, presumably they would be in Pot B, and all of the Pot A teams will be Mexican, American (MLS) or Canadian (presumably also MLS, but likely wouldn't be allowed to be drawn against a CPL team anyways). So a Mexican or MLS team will be the overwhelming favourite over Forge, or Valour or whoever in the first round.

Nothing is ever gonna be ideal. Same thing happens in South American continental competitions. Its a soccer game.. its nothing new to anyone. If clubs make it a priority there should be no issue. My only real issue about the timing is the weather. I know some people think its cool to see teams come here and play in crud conditions but i like good football and i think the potential for crap weather is a bigger problem then teams playing so early in their calendar

Edited by SpursFlu

27 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Why do you hate it so much though? I agree with you that MLS has lots of stuff that seems arbitrary and gimmicky, of course I’m way more excited by the CPL, and I’m glad that it’s a more traditional league... but I just don’t get why every issue is an opportunity for you to shit on MLS. What’s the deal?

Because MLS is a fake league that wasted over 20 years of US soccer progress and it has harmed Canada too. I'm in the US and we don't have better choices, but I will NOT let MLS ruin Canadian soccer! If any Canadians have grievances, I'll visit MLS HQ and burn that shithole down myself!

21 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Because MLS is a fake league that wasted over 20 years of US soccer progress and it has harmed Canada too. I'm in the US and we don't have better choices, but I will NOT let MLS ruin Canadian soccer! If any Canadians have grievances, I'll visit MLS HQ and burn that shithole down myself!

I have a grievance. ?

Edited by dsqpr

9 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

I laugh because I assume you’re joking about burning it down. 

20 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Genuinely curious if it bothers you that we all think you're a crazy person and virtually no one agrees with you? Or are you the type who enjoys shouting at nothing?