The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Pretty harsh comparison and take away from that match. He was phenomenal outside of that play. Plus the ball was flicked at the front post and it was a crazy spot to put a header on goal from 

I am not saying he had a bad day but I have definitely noticed that he can lose markers in the box or give them more space than he should.  If he is to consistently be one of the best left back in the world, I think he needs to improve in that area.  Both the goal and the crossbar hit that would have had the game end in a draw were due to loose marking.  Not trying to be overly critical - I just think his defensive marking is the part of his game that needs to catch up with his offensive contributions. 

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not saying he had a bad day but I have definitely noticed that he can lose markers in the box or give them more space than he should.  If he is to consistently be one of the best left back in the world, I think he needs to improve in that area.  Both the goal and the crossbar hit that would have had the game end in a draw were due to loose marking.  Not trying to be overly critical - I just think his defensive marking is the part of his game that needs to catch up with his offensive contributions. 

That Haiti winning goal still make me feel beater today......

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I still think he’s been a step behind where he was at last season. I hope he gets back to that level soon

To be fair, the entire team is a bit a step behind. Which was to be expected after the run they went on last season/not having a full offseason to recover and recharge.

I expect the uptrend to come again. When the moment is right. 

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I still think he’s been a step behind where he was at last season. I hope he gets back to that level soon

Agreed, he is certainly not as active/involved as he was last season.  Maybe the injury is still nagging at him?  However, I thought he was very solid defensively today (only watched the first half so far), breaking up numerous plays down the wing.  With the exception of his man sending in the cross on the goal - which was very close to offside (the pass to Keeboo)

I suspect it's more a case that he's just being asked to play more conservatively. Or maybe a natural sense of "I'm no longer a rookie trying to prove myself so I don't have to attempt to dribble past every member of the team". But I suspect the former. Bayern score a ton of goals but they still give up too many for a team that has aspirations to win the Champions League.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gator said:

Herdman was on a ht, I wish I could report something new and exciting, basically said it's exciting times for Canadian soccer, the players were in different levels of match fitness at the camp so difficult to assess, they learned a lot about covid testing and protocols, that's about it!

Only other thing I think he said is that he talked to the Europe based players last week.

17 hours ago, Obinna said:

Typical game from Davies. Wasn't particularly challenged on the defensive end. Didn't push the envelope too often on the offensive end. Bayern with the clean sheet. They move on.

Looking forward to seeing Davies against UANL Tigres....again. I believe he last faced them in 2017 in CCL.

I just want to say I hate CONCACAF's website. I wanted to double check that he played them, so I very quickly found the wikipedia page for the 2017 CCL, and very quickly found that Vancouver did in fact play UANL. Then I clicked the Report link to see who played in the games, and it's a dead link on CONCACAF's website. They don't seem to keep results for previous competitions, at least that I have ever been able to find. It is really frustrating.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I just want to say I hate CONCACAF's website. I wanted to double check that he played them, so I very quickly found the wikipedia page for the 2017 CCL, and very quickly found that Vancouver did in fact play UANL. Then I clicked the Report link to see who played in the games, and it's a dead link on CONCACAF's website. They don't seem to keep results for previous competitions, at least that I have ever been able to find. It is really frustrating.

Edited by Obinna