The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

At least watching Bundesliga the rivals play decently, for the first half at least  Mainz was a strong team and the match was even, they could have had a third or fourth. Bayern's midfield was rather weak. Then they sat back, seemed tired, and Bayern cut through them. Apart from the result, I prefer to watch this level of football (ie not France!!), even the weakest sides of the big leagues have things worth watching.

Agree with @dyslexic namabout Davies, some poor passing. And also a bit of that conformist spirit when they were losing. I understand he is coached not to force anything, but you get a sense he could step it up a bit more when they need a goal. I respect he is being asked to hang back and let the attackers do the attacking, and it worked out today, but I find it a poor use of his talents.

50 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

At least watching Bundesliga the rivals play decently, for the first half at least  Mainz was a strong team and the match was even, they could have had a third or fourth. Bayern's midfield was rather weak. Then they sat back, seemed tired, and Bayern cut through them. Apart from the result, I prefer to watch this level of football (ie not France!!), even the weakest sides of the big leagues have things worth watching.

Agree with @dyslexic namabout Davies, some poor passing. And also a bit of that conformist spirit when they were losing. I understand he is coached not to force anything, but you get a sense he could step it up a bit more when they need a goal. I respect he is being asked to hang back and let the attackers do the attacking, and it worked out today, but I find it a poor use of his talents.

Totally agree. So often I was waiting to see him move up and join the attack and it didn't happen 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agree with @dyslexic namabout Davies, some poor passing. And also a bit of that conformist spirit when they were losing. I understand he is coached not to force anything, 

Yes a terrible game from Davies, safe back passes, his passes forward were suicide passes to teammates (they won't tolerate that for long) tons of open space, with his lazy approach to the game he left wide open, how does he expect to progress as footballer if he listens to coaches on how to play and if you are going to take a selfish shot on net at least make it count.  I'm afraid he will soon be nailed to the bench.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

22 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Yes a terrible game from Davies, safe back passes, his passes forward were suicide passes to teammates (they won't tolerate that for long) tons of open space, with his lazy approach to the game he left wide open, how does he expect to progress as footballer if he listens to coaches on how to play and if you are going to take a selfish shot on net at least make it count.  I'm afraid he will soon be nailed to the bench.

I honestly have no idea if this is all/partly/not sarcastic.  Seriously - not a clue. 

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Davies and Bayern stunned in the round of 32 of the DFB Pokal to 2. Bundesliga team Holstein Kiel.

Holstein Kiel scored the tying goal essentially on the last play of the game and then went on to win in the shootout.

Not the best marking from Davies on that tying goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwmQOWs2GbY

I didn't expect Kennedy and Jahn Regensburg to make it further in the DFB Pokal than Davies and Bayern Munich...but that's football!

I don't think that marking is so bad, he had another player coming in behind him and the CBs had left their central position, so he was basically covering two guys and had to split it.

Yes, Alphonso has not been as decisive and as I mentioned weeks ago, appears a bit conformist. But this has to be because he is not being asked to do more. In the history of humanity no LB has ever been the guy that will get you goals or make them happen, there have to be another 5-6 before him expected to do that. So he is being a role player, and from how he plays, and the minutes he gets, his manager seems happy with that. Fair assessment: Alphonso is not the reason they are doing slightly worse this year (marginally, until January last season they were not so great either), and him improving, say in attack, is unlikely to be a clear solution they'd cite for their problems. 

BM sold Thiago, lost Coutinho, have had a few injuries, and have some young or new players who will need time. And then their older guys are that much older, and they've taken a slight slide. Neuer had a good run but has not really been a top keeper for the last 5 years in spite of his team's results. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 1/14/2021 at 1:14 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think that marking is so bad, he had another player coming in behind him and the CBs had left their central position, so he was basically covering two guys and had to split it.

Yes, Alphonso has not been as decisive and as I mentioned weeks ago, appears a bit conformist. But this has to be because he is not being asked to do more. In the history of humanity no LB has ever been the guy that will get you goals or make them happen, there have to be another 5-6 before him expected to do that. So he is being a role player, and from how he plays, and the minutes he gets, his manager seems happy with that. Fair assessment: Alphonso is not the reason they are doing slightly worse this year (marginally, until January last season they were not so great either), and him improving, say in attack, is unlikely to be a clear solution they'd cite for their problems. 

BM sold Thiago, lost Coutinho, have had a few injuries, and have some young or new players who will need time. And then their older guys are that much older, and they've taken a slight slide. Neuer had a good run but has not really been a top keeper for the last 5 years in spite of his team's results. 

Neuer hasn't been a top keeper the last 5 years? I'm going to assume you are excluding this past season where he won the Golden Gloves as top keeper in the world and led BM to the treble.

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

Davies just got referenced during the leafs game :)

Bayern play tomorrow at 9:30 EST and it’s on sportsnet btw. 

I can’t remember if I mentioned it before, but I learned from watching a hockey game that Leon Draisaitl was named Germany’s athlete of the year for his play with Edmonton Oilers. So a German athlete of the year playing hockey in Edmonton while an Edmontonian won Canadian athlete of the year playing soccer in Germany. That might even be the weirdest thing about 2020.

54 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Davies completely loses his defensive marker to let Freiburg draw level.  It was very similar to the diving header that Larin scored last week - the player made an unmarked far post run to head in.  

I know he is hugely rated, but it seems like Davies needs to tighten up his defensive marking on set pieces.  

Pretty harsh comparison and take away from that match. He was phenomenal outside of that play. Plus the ball was flicked at the front post and it was a crazy spot to put a header on goal from 

Edited by Aird25