The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

This season is different than last year.  Bayern doesn’t have Thiago backstopping and covering up every mistake that Davies makes.  

He has to be quite a bit more cautious now because Bayern isn’t bulletproof anymore.  I think this is just him maturing as a player a bit as he is no longer a teenager.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Perhaps I shouldn't be too critical of a 20 year old starter and Champions League winner with Bayern, but I have been less than impressed with Davies at winger. This was the second game in a row where he's been pushed up late in the second half with zero impact on the game. In this case the game was won already, but it would have been nice to see Davies cause some problems. He was very much a passenger riding out the match, not overcomplicating things and playing it safe, which can be seen as the mature thing to do I suppose, but I was disappointed that he wasn't more daring the few times he did find the ball. 

Sounds exactly what a coach would want preserving a lead no? In the bundesliga game where he scored the equalizer he was very much a threat offensively.. from LB but he was taking on players and creating attacking opportunities.  It  all depends on what Herdman wants from Davies...he can contribute offensively without scoring by using his pace and creating space for David/Larin  and his passing is improving but we can't expect to see the Bayern Davies at LB for Canada. Our CBs are too weak for that to work.

I think Flick would have wanted Davies decapitated if, instead of keeping his team in possession with a 4-1 lead on the road in the first leg of a knockout round, a tired Davies was trying to be risky and daring with the ball very late. He also helped to set up/cause two road goals for his team and was the only defender not at fault for their one goal against, I'm not sure that we can be too disappointed because near the end of the match he wasn't trying to be risky and potentially gift back Lazio into the tie.

20 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think Flick would have wanted Davies decapitated if, instead of keeping his team in possession with a 4-1 lead on the road in the first leg of a knockout round, a tired Davies was trying to be risky and daring with the ball very late. He also helped to set up/cause two road goals for his team and was the only defender not at fault for their one goal against, I'm not sure that we can be too disappointed because near the end of the match he wasn't trying to be risky and potentially gift back Lazio into the tie.

While all that is true, it did look like Davies was at sea at times when Hernandez came on.  I'm not sure if he knows where to be going forward as part of the Bayern midfield.  I'm hoping that he gets more looks in that position so he can get comfortable.

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

While all that is true, it did look like Davies was at sea at times when Hernandez came on.  I'm not sure if he knows where to be going forward as part of the Bayern midfield.  I'm hoping that he gets more looks in that position so he can get comfortable.

This is exactly what I wanted to say. 

2 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I would love Davies on the wing at Bayern. Sadly there has been rumours flying around that Bayern is interested in picking up Christian Pulisic from Chelsea to replace Coman.

What is it with Bayern and trying to pluck wingers from Chelsea?

Davies has a tendency to tune out of his defensive duties from time to time in and around the box and ball watch. I have seen this  a few times for Bayern and Canada. He got a lecture from Boateng just before he was subbed out. He is young and will  learn from the vets at Bayern but  it's one reason I prefer him playing further up for Canada right now

7 minutes ago, ghostknownunknown said:

I found that pretty amusing considering Boateng’s calamitous defending on Koln’s goal. 

I hear you but it's a  necessary part of Davies' development if he wants to keep "the best LB label" . His intensity and focus has not been consistently at the level it was last season...  understandable but the Bayern vets know he needs to bring it for 90 mins every game so I fully support Boateng's reprimand 

I only watched the 1st half but in the first 45 minutes he looked like he was playing a nearly perfect left back half.  Supporting the attack, hockey assist on the 2nd goal and shutting down any pressure on his side completely.

I’m glad I turned it off at 45 mins and did a 5k with my dog.  The dog liked the outcome better too.