The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Finishes 3-3. Unlike defenders that have played the position throughout their youth development and who instinctively react in defensive situations, Davies is still learning the position and often has to use his athletic ability to react vs anticipate. I am sure this will sort itself out with time if he continues to play as a LB but damn is he a joy to watch when he attacks down the flank. Good to see he hasn't lost that ability.

41 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Finishes 3-3. Unlike defenders that have played the position throughout their youth development and who instinctively react in defensive situations, Davies is still learning the position and often has to use his athletic ability to react vs anticipate. I am sure this will sort itself out with time if he continues to play as a LB but damn is he a joy to watch when he attacks down the flank. Good to see he hasn't lost that ability.

Stalteri was a forward and attacking mid in his much younger years but in Germany he developed into a very good RB as a team defender, covering and supporting the CB on his side, so it can be done (and he was in his early 20s we he started becoming a RB/RWB).

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Alaba has looked past it for a while in my opinion. He's still got the brain, but for the past while he's looked like he's running (or jumping in this case) in quicksand. He just doesn't have the legs anymore, it seems. I question how good of a signing he'd be for Chelsea or Real Madrid, where he's been linked as of late. 

Haven’t seen him play much lately, but he’s 28. Hard to imagine he wouldn’t have the legs anymore already.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

Haven’t seen him play much lately, but he’s 28. Hard to imagine he wouldn’t have the legs anymore already.

That’s the sad part. He’s really not that old. 

He’s still a useful player for Bayern, but I would say he’s already coming down from his peak physically. Contrast that to Lewandowski, who is older but showing no signs of slowing down.

39 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Just another run of Davies catching up to someone and making it look like they are standing still. On snow no less.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLVH8GrHpsI/?igshid=1gdigt5eydb5t

Holy shit, it never gets old or any less surprising.  The dude must've been like "WTF man, no need to make me look that bad"

I liked Alphonso's response to this one. You could see from his hanging of his head that he knew he was at fault for that 3rd goal (not the only one, the whole backline/team was a bit asleep as often happens to teams after they score a goal, although less so when they are still behind after they have scored). He looked to be the most determined player on the pitch after that, constantly driving and causing havoc with the ball. It's like he was taking it upon himself to make amends, and he did so. That goal he scored seemed to have more fire to the celebration as a result.

I hope we see that kind of leadership in a Canada jersey one day, if we ever play again (not holding my breath for next month since I think it would have been announced by now).

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Highlights from the game for anyone like me that missed it. That was a nice hit from Davies on the third! But yeah, he totally lost his guy on the third against.

I'm have to say, I found it an absolute delight to play in the sleet.  Not sure why, but it just felt right.  Like the sound , on a still night, of the ice singing under you skates.

I've gotten old.  As you were.

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, Bayern look like they have a world club championship hangover.   That is two games where they have looked tired and uninventive for long stretches of play.   Getting a sense of urgency for the last 15 minutes of a game is only going to get you so many points.  

They have enough cushion I think in the Bundesliga, the others drop points too. They've also had players with Covid, like Muller and now Pavard. We'll see how they handle Champions vs Lazio, an accessible rival, on Tuesday. Not being on the Cup anymore and having an easier schedule in Bundesliga will probably allow them to peak well. 

I'm going to predict a repeat Champions final, the only other I think is up there is City. 

19 hours ago, longlugan said:

Enough cushion ? Leipzig is 2 points back.

While I dislike Bayern, I hate anything with Red Bull on it, what a garbage brand on top of things. Too bad, as I do like many of their players.

But you are right, it is not much of a cushion, but they are still ahead. I doubt Leipzig can be any more consistent than Bayern, but it may come down to the wire in the league. Or their early April head-to-head.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I still think Bayern has the capacity to turn it on when needed in a way that most other teams simply cannot.  They will feel the pressure in the league at some point and you will start to see dominant results when it counts.  They have too much quality and know what is needed to win.   I think you will see that professionalism tonight against Lazio.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

17 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Young 2003 English player 17 year old Musiala with the goal . Davies is like an old veteran now compared to this kid lol.

German born Musiala must have read your comment.  He has committed to Germany over England where he spent a lot of his time growing up.

Perhaps I shouldn't be too critical of a 20 year old starter and Champions League winner with Bayern, but I have been less than impressed with Davies at winger. This was the second game in a row where he's been pushed up late in the second half with zero impact on the game. In this case the game was won already, but it would have been nice to see Davies cause some problems. He was very much a passenger riding out the match, not overcomplicating things and playing it safe, which can be seen as the mature thing to do I suppose, but I was disappointed that he wasn't more daring the few times he did find the ball.