The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

27 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

OneSoccer Today panel were, of course, posing the question if Davies is already Canada's greatest.  Jenkins poking Wheeler who's all in.  I'm still firmly in the Hutch camp, the "one season does not a career make" camp to which the usual reply is "But what a season!"  Impossible to argue against that but my point still stands.

Hard to see the future.  Could be at Bayern a LONG time.  Think it would be awesome if he rightly felt restless and hunting for new challenges by the age of 24.  It's awesome that we can evern speculate about ithat and not sounding like crazy people.   

I get the whole one season doesn’t make a career, and it’s fair but when you win literally everything at the club level his career tops Atiba’s. At the National level it’s different, but christ like the bar wasn’t high and Alphonso shattered it.

48 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I get the whole one season doesn’t make a career, and it’s fair but when you win literally everything at the club level his career tops Atiba’s. At the National level it’s different, but christ like the bar wasn’t high and Alphonso shattered it.

So, god forbid, Davies blows his knee this season and never plays again.  Still best ever??  Just like our russian friends remind us, quantity has a quality all its own.  

Can't overstate Davies accomplishments, he wasn't a passenger at Bayern, he was an integral part of that team and has received world wide recognition for the quality of his contributions.  And that's how I'm making my assessment.  The quality of his contributions.  He's shown he's a world class wing back.  If he keeps it up, as I'm sure he will, he's very quickly going to be recognized as GOAT.  Even if he never collects another team trophy, ever.

Am I seeing too much past the silverware?  I don't think so.  

By the way, I'll be happy to be having this discussion in a couple of years when David is cleaning it all up with (insert club not named Lille here).

Edited by Cheeta

53 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

So, god forbid, Davies blows his knee this season and never plays again.  Still best ever??  Just like our russian friends remind us, quantity has a quality all its own.  

Yea, I would say so.

look at his invididual awards vs Atiba’s, all that UEFA stuff, no Canadian has ever done that.

10 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Davies has been a big part of Bayern's success in 2020/21, but he is playing nowhere near his potential. Hopefully Bayern will allow him to develop and grow his game (*cough*winger*cough*)

I believe a few have speculated that he’ll be shifted there after the season. Coman be out.

I think it’s unquestionable that Davies has had the best season that any Canadian player has ever had.

Besides winning literally every trophy at the club level last year he also won almost every trophy at the personal level.  Champions League and UEFA best XI, FIFAPro Best XI, the runner up as the best defender in UEFA as well.

We have never had a player that is widely acclaimed as the best in the player in world at his position in a season before.    

Yes he’s only 20 but the top of his career and 8 trophies in a top 5 league (including the biggest trophies) puts him in a class all alone.

6 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Alaba looked poor on the second, jumping half-heartedly while his man buried a header off a corner.

Alaba has looked past it for a while in my opinion. He's still got the brain, but for the past while he's looked like he's running (or jumping in this case) in quicksand. He just doesn't have the legs anymore, it seems. I question how good of a signing he'd be for Chelsea or Real Madrid, where he's been linked as of late.