The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

A super-intense derby game on Saturday followed by a huge cross-country flight followed by another huge cross-country flight after the game. Plus, the Robinson 'caps have never been successful when they can't play their defensive, low-possession counter-attacking game. Going into Toronto needing goals was a disastrous scenario.

They actually didn't need lots of goals, though.  This was a perfect game for the counter: shut the door at the back, nip one goal and they would have been through. Shutting the door definitely didn't happen, obviously.  I think if Reyna had scored on the cross from De Jong they might have done it. Full marks to TFC though -- flowing moves that were beautiful to watch at times, and they did shut down AD.  As others have pointed out elsewhere, despite their talents Davies and Reyna (currently) pose less of a threat because they tend to run into alleys and either outpace or not notice their best options to lay the ball off. Reyna especially. 

6 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

He acts like a 17 year old (the ‘he’s a good kid’ kind not the ‘what a prick’ kind), he’s not quite “media savvy” yet if you’ve heard sit downs with him but you can already tell that will come. 

What a guy to to carry the torch for our program

He's definitely social media savy tho. 

Time and again he cracks me up on IG!

Last month or so it seems like the playbook on how to defend Davies is out. Hack him down as much as possible and use yellow cards as much as possible. 

Only have Davies has the FB on a yellow is he allowed to play some soccer. I can't wait for him to leave to Germany when he wont be cynically hacked down.

21 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Last month or so it seems like the playbook on how to defend Davies is out. Hack him down as much as possible and use yellow cards as much as possible. 

Only have Davies has the FB on a yellow is he allowed to play some soccer. I can't wait for him to leave to Germany when he wont be cynically hacked down.

I mentioned to a buddy last night that Bayern’s execs must be cringing when Davies gets hacked down.  Still don’t know how that wasn’t a red.

Of course he is going to get hacked in Germany, what are you guys thinking. His teammates will do it in practice, come on (hard training fouls let's say) and games will be tough too. 

The point is not to put yourself in those risk situations, at least not unnecessarily. The run has to be made in the critical moments, when it counts, so that the foul is one the defender does not want to make. And the space you get by good positioning, which you learn as a team, and receiving the ball with space. Which is exactly what happens at Bayern, especially on the wings, since lesser rivals in Bundesliga tend to defend narrower.

He is also going to have to learn to go down at certain moments to get defenders to back off (yes, I am saying "learn to dive", in relative terms of course, he's going to a serious footballing country, but if anyone thinks a guy who gets constantly fouled should not learn how to embellish, let's talk about it).

The softer grass is probably going to affect him a bit too, as could heavier pitches in winter. In MLS the field turf favours his speed.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Davies will get the lumps kicked out of him in Germany, there is no doubt. That's to be expected of any 17 year old who joins a top flight. 

But there wont be players water skiing on his jersey or chopping him down from behind. Risking going down a man vs Whitecaps, eh maybe you can still pull out a draw. Risking going down a man against Bayern.. different story.

EDIT: Though I do enjoy seeing the panic on a defenders face when Davies goes by them so quick they can't event grab a hold of him. 

Edited by Yoginess

On 8/17/2018 at 2:09 PM, kohanz said:

Maybe this has been posted before, but it's the first time I'd seen it. I didn't realize that the kid is pretty outgoing and charismatic!

You should follow his instagram

On 8/17/2018 at 2:25 PM, Obinna said:

He's definitely social media savy tho. 

Time and again he cracks me up on IG!

I laugh when media types say he’s a boring interview.. he’s just 17 trying not to screw up!  If you watch him on social media the kid is actually hilarious.. like laugh out loud funny and always in a good natured way. 

31 minutes ago, PhillyCanuck said:

Transfermarkt has finally updated Alphonso's market value to 10 million EUR. He is now listed as the most valuable player currently playing in MLS alongside Miguel Almiron and Carlos Vela. 

Because, as I pointed out before, these values are largely based on potential. 

Alphonso didn't get 10 times better the moment he put pen to paper with Bayern.

Edited by Obinna

9 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Yeah I get that but why are we not comparing Davies to his peers? 

For me, Bayern are looking at Davies as a potential comparison to Dembele and Mbappe, those are the references. 

I can frankly say, the former has been frustrating and mere potential waiting to happen at Barça. But the team is sticking with the player, partially. If we'd signed Greizmann, we may have unloaded him. Think it will be the same at Bayern, he'll get a season and a half, he'll frustrate but they'll see his potential, and if there is no sign of being solid first team material, they'll move him.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

For me, Bayern are looking at Davies as a potential comparison to Dembele and Mbappe, those are the references. 

I can frankly say, the former has been frustrating and mere potential waiting to happen at Barça. But the team is sticking with the player, partially. If we'd signed Greizmann, we may have unloaded him. Think it will be the same at Bayern, he'll get a season and a half, he'll frustrate but they'll see his potential, and if there is no sign of being solid first team material, they'll move him.

I hope they give him more time than that. It's a bigger transition and a bigger jump in quality for Davies than it was for Dembele.

7 hours ago, C2SKI said:

I hope they give him more time than that. It's a bigger transition and a bigger jump in quality for Davies than it was for Dembele.

I'm sure they will. 

Dembele was a known quantity when he went to Barca. Sure they bought him for over 100 million euros (from Dortmund).

Davies is moving to Bayern for 1/5 of that (at most) and is coming from MLS. 

He is virtually an unknown by comparison.

Bayern will be in no rush to move him on after a few underperforming years. Even if he doesn't transform until he is 21, it would be worth the wait. At that age, his best years would still be in front of him.