The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Anyone find it a little cowardly that the MLS isnt taking credit for this ad in any way. Went on their site and lots of excitement on a player scoring a goal in a meaningless friendly but nothing about Alphonso featuring in a major Nike ad campaign. How damaged is that country down there?

Edited by SpursFlu

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Anyone find it a little cowardly that the MLS isnt taking credit for this ad in any way. Went on their site and lots of excitement on a player scoring a goal in a meaningless friendly but nothing about Alphonso featuring in a major Nike ad campaign. How damaged is that country down there?

Well, remind me which company is the kit sponsor of MLS? 

12 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Well, remind me which company is the kit sponsor of MLS? 

The same as Bayern. Really? You think thats it. The shit they over hype on that site and you think thats what would be stopping them. I doubt it

Edited by SpursFlu

Am I the only one that doesn’t think the commercial is a departure from previous Nike campaigns? Inspirational speeches and/or slogans is what they aim for. This commercial is about believing in your dreams and working your tail off to achieve them. It’s just that Colin Kaepernick was the guy reading it.

2 hours ago, villus said:

You said, "People worldwide have had enough of the diversity overkill". This is the view that lots of privileged white people in Europe and North America say, they are simply fed up with the overkill of throwing diversity in their faces I guess that's what I take issue with.  Now I'm not saying you are a bigot and I don't know you or your background but I do think that its a fairly privileged stance to be able to dismiss diversity as overkill.  

Obinna is a Nigerian-Canadian from Newfoundland, he's about as privileged as they come.

7 hours ago, Keegan said:

Bizarre times we live in.. I can’t see this ending well for Nike.  Also, it’s so sad that we finally have a player in a major ad and yet it’s our Canadian kid being dragged into some political crap.  People have honestly lost their minds, I just wish they would leave us out of it because before you know it we’re gonna have some morons kneeling for the Canadian anthem saying they’re oppressed. 

Hmm.. you do know why all those players were kneeling.. right?

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The same as Bayern. Really? You think thats it. The shit they over hype on that site and you think thats what would be stopping them. I doubt it

There's a reason they said play for the national team and not get signed by Bayern (although they did airbrush out the Umbro logo even though its a Nike brand).

(e: apparently Nike sold Umbro in 2012, although the initial point stands).

Edited by theaub

3 hours ago, villus said:

Now I'm not saying you are a bigot and I don't know you or your background but I do think that its a fairly privileged stance to be able to dismiss diversity as overkill.  

My background should be irrelevant in determining whether I am a bigot or not. 

To make such a determination, based on my background, is the definition of bigotry.

You said, "People worldwide have had enough of the diversity overkill". This is the view that lots of privileged white people in Europe and North America say 

Case in point.

they are simply fed up with the overkill of throwing diversity in their faces I guess that's what I take issue with.  

Have you ever considered the possibility that people are fed up with whatever it was that caused you to insinuate I am a bigot for espousing an alternative viewpoint on the matter?

But by no means do I think its radical, he's not doing or saying anything radical, simply because part of the US has pulled so far to the right and has openly accepted bigots doesn't mean they can alter reality, I live in the US what he's saying is undoubtedly the reality of what minorities and specifically black men face every day.  

Others would say part of the US has pulled so far to the left and has openly accepted cultural marxism. Thing is, both sides are correct, although the boogie man on both sides is made out to be bigger than it is.

The majority of people on the left are not cultural marxists.

The majority of people on right are not bigots.

At the end of the day, I can totally appreciate the feel good message of the advertising. It does make me feel good.

But I am also aware that in this political climate, this commercial will undoubtedly be a dividing force in the world, which is ironic because the intention is to be inclusive.

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Im personally not dragging anything in to this, its all just bs noise and Davies is too smart for any of it. Because he's Canadian of course

Awesome exposure for the kid. His story is inspirational to everyone and its just getting started. Right on and lets give a shout out to a kick ass cameo from Scotty Airfield. So happy for Fonzie and Canadian football

I felt that shot with or Davies with Arfield was planned, since he happens to be a more well known player among European audiences and in sense legitimizes Davies making it into the big leagues (which he has of course)

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think it is. If Zlatan made the ad, it would be the same thing. I know that they over hype a lot of things. Maybe it's also the fact that Davies will be leaving at the end of the year. And it doesn't at all mention pro soccer. Only mentions being a refugee and making the natonal team. If you find me an ad from a rival company that MLS hyped on their site,  please show me where. 

54 minutes ago, Obinna said:

My background should be irrelevant in determining whether I am a bigot or not. 

To make such a determination, based on my background, is the definition of bigotry.

Case in point.

Have you ever considered the possibility that people are fed up with whatever it was that caused you to insinuate I am a bigot for espousing an alternative viewpoint on the matter?

Ahh but I said I'm not calling you a bigot, I did say that is the language quite often used by bigots which is why I drew the distinction.  

Your background has to do with your privilege, I can't make any distinctions on anyones privileges without knowing anything about them or their background. 

Others would say part of the US has pulled so far to the left and has openly accepted cultural marxism. Thing is, both sides are correct, although the boogie man on both sides is made out to be bigger than it is. The majority of people on the left are not cultural marxists. The majority of people on right are not bigots.

At the end of the day, I can totally appreciate the feel good message of the advertising. It does make me feel good.

But I am also aware that in this political climate, this commercial will undoubtedly be a dividing force in the world, which is ironic because the intention is to be inclusive.

Ahh yes the classic whataboutism of claiming that anyone with progressive views is a secret communist.  There is no equivalence between a distain for capitalism and cultural intolerance.  The majority of the right and people complaining about Kaepernick in the US are in fact bigots, I see it every day I live in the US and have since 2003.  Trump supporters at this point are fine with open bigotry, he got his start calling Mexican's rapists its not a big stretch.  

Just because a bunch of people don't like hearing about oppression doesn't mean people should shy away from bringing attention to it.  I'm sure it is controversial but I think if its the right thing to do then you should never shy away because its controversial, the United States is going to get worse before it gets better and that's just the way it works sometimes, you can't appease bigotry.  Kaepernick or this commercial being a dividing force isn't wrong at this point, but there is no equivalence between Kaepernick being a dividing force and the President being a dividing force, Kaepernick silently protested and lost his job calling out a serious problem for people who tend to not have a platform or voice to be able to do so, Trump is a whiny baby throwing a tantrum because his base likes it.  

Edited by villus

30 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Yes, I know the reason i just think there is a way to send a message without offending people.  I agree with others the anthem should never even be played at sporting events. 

But this is the issue, these people are not acting in good faith and are choosing to be offended.  He's come out and said numerous times he's kneeling out of respect and is using peaceful protest and Trump is using it to distract and manipulate his base by inserting himself into the argument.  

1 hour ago, villus said:

Ahh but I said I'm not calling you a bigot, I did say that is the language quite often used by bigots which is why I drew the distinction.  

Your background has to do with your privilege, I can't make any distinctions on anyones privileges without knowing anything about them or their background. 

Ahh yes the classic whataboutism of claiming that anyone with progressive views is a secret communist.  There is no equivalence between a distain for capitalism and cultural intolerance.  The majority of the right and people complaining about Kaepernick in the US are in fact bigots, I see it every day I live in the US and have since 2003.  Trump supporters at this point are fine with open bigotry, he got his start calling Mexican's rapists its not a big stretch.  

Just because a bunch of people don't like hearing about oppression doesn't mean people should shy away from bringing attention to it.  I'm sure it is controversial but I think if its the right thing to do then you should never shy away because its controversial, the United States is going to get worse before it gets better and that's just the way it works sometimes, you can't appease bigotry.  

Well, I have done my best to help you see both sides of the coin, but that post makes it clear you are not actually interested in that. You are only interested in digging your heels in the sand. Sorry to have wasted your time and my own.

At least I hope I added value to anyone else who may be reading with an open mind. 

Cheers!

Edited by Obinna

34 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Moving away from the ad how many goals will Davies score, if any in the USVI game? I’m going to go with 2

I was thinking 2 as well, but I am holding out hope for a hatty. I am slightly nervous though some hack is going to take him out. Knock on wood that doesn't happen.

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Well, I have done my best to help you see both sides of the coin, but that post makes it clear you are not actually interested in that. You are only interested in digging your heels in the sand. Sorry to have wasted your time and my own.

At least I hope I added value to anyone else who may be reading with an open mind. 

Cheers!

People try to draw a moral equivalence on the left and the right in the United States, currently that's a tactic to muddy the waters.  I call it the way I see it, the right is looney and dangerous in the US and Trump and the whole GOP and their base is proving that every day we've never seen anything like that in North America.  I appreciate your viewpoint and am happy to hear different views to my own.  

Not entirely on point, but at least regarding Alphonso:

You know, at first I was very excited to see Davies in that commercial, but now I am not feeling good about it, after my exchange with villus.

My side is good. Your side is bad. That's essentially what was revealed. I really don't feel good about our young star being associated with the toxicity this advertisement creates, rightly or wrongly.

Blame aside, I don't want Davies to get caught up in the fall out from this.

Muhammed Ali is referenced as the greatest because he didn't shy away from what was difficult, people forget he was massively controversial and divisive but he stood up for what he believed in and is called the greatest ever not simply because his athletic accomplishments.  Sports are one part of life, Kaepernick is going to be remembered much more fondly and have a bigger impact because of his stance, the people who would hold the commercial against Alphonso are not the people you'd want in your corner anyways imo.  

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Not entirely on point, but at least regarding Alphonso:

You know, at first I was very excited to see Davies in that commercial, but now I am not feeling good about it, after my exchange with villus.

My side is good. Your side is bad. That's essentially what was revealed. I really don't feel good about our young star being associated with the toxicity this advertisement creates, rightly or wrongly.

Blame aside, I don't want Davies to get caught up in the fall out from this.

From who? Trump's base? White Billionaire NFL owners?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-nike-sides-with-kaepernick-and-deals-the-nfl-a-devastating-cultural/

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I was thinking 2 as well, but I am holding out hope for a hatty. I am slightly nervous though some hack is going to take him out. Knock on wood that doesn't happen.

If you watch the first 20 min of the final Voyageurs Cup match, that description fits. Sorry to say. There were at least three cases of aiming low to foot or ankle, one protested intensely from the Caps bench, because the ref didn't even call a foul.

If our rival this week does anything similar I'll be interested to see the reactions.