The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

He has virtues both sides, though for me is more participative, has more scoring chances, on the right. On the left his pure speed is more easily shown, as he takes the ball with his left and up the left, where there is space. That makes him a player to get free to send in an assist.

I am pretty sure he'll play on the right for Bayern, since they are not a team that is overly interested in pure wingers crossing in from the endline. Not that it is vetoed or anything, just that they, like other top clubs playing three up high, play their outside players to turn in and shoot rather than hit the endline and cross.

That said, they will also help him develop his right foot, at least for passing and centering if playing on that right side. No point being there if you are always going to turn in, that is too easy for defenders. Saying this as I would have thought Whitecaps would have laid out a little challenge for him, like sending in a few crosses with his bad foot from now til the end of the season.

To date, I'm pretty sure all of his goals, apart from the deflected shot in champions league, have come from the left side. He seems more comfortable defending from the left too. The thought of him cutting inside from the right is exciting but he hasn't shown much aptitude for it so far.

13 hours ago, toontownman said:

He has played the most on the left right? ? 

I still have no idea where he will end up long term, he could easily mature into the middle or up top. He is an impact player on the wing though at the moment. I think that is where he will come off the bench for Bayern. 

Attacking mid is where he can make the most of his potential IMO. Like I said before, the boy should model his game after this man:

Edited by Macksam

10 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Attacking mid is where he can make the most of his potential IMO. Like I said before, the boy should model his game after this man:

Nothing wrong with trying to emulate a legend like Ruud, however I would say that Phozie has more natural athleticism which allows him a chance at success in more areas of the field.

14 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Nothing wrong with trying to emulate a legend like Ruud, however I would say that Phozie has more natural athleticism which allows him a chance at success in more areas of the field.

Ruud played in all sorts of attacking positions and his athleticism was one of his greatest features along with his tight dribbling not unlike Davies.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He has virtues both sides, though for me is more participative, has more scoring chances, on the right. On the left his pure speed is more easily shown, as he takes the ball with his left and up the left, where there is space. That makes him a player to get free to send in an assist.

I am pretty sure he'll play on the right for Bayern, since they are not a team that is overly interested in pure wingers crossing in from the endline. Not that it is vetoed or anything, just that they, like other top clubs playing three up high, play their outside players to turn in and shoot rather than hit the endline and cross.

That said, they will also help him develop his right foot, at least for passing and centering if playing on that right side. No point being there if you are always going to turn in, that is too easy for defenders. Saying this as I would have thought Whitecaps would have laid out a little challenge for him, like sending in a few crosses with his bad foot from now til the end of the season.

Unless you're Robben. Many see it coming, few can stop it. ;)

54 minutes ago, villus said:

Davies is included in the new Nike "just do it" ad.  Looks like Nike is betting on Davies pretty heavily, great sign for him.  

I love Davies getting this level of exposure. Just simply fantastic for him and for our profile as a national team.

How many people have you heard utter the words, "canada have a soccer team"? And how many of those are likely to watch this commercial? I would wager a lot.

But...

As an aside, who else finds this advertisement odd? Kid wrestling with no legs, a woman boxing in a burka, female basketball player in a wheel chair, female linebacker, overweight man shedding his fat and running a race, a refugee success story, lebron's school for the underprivileged, and the creme de la creme: kaepernick, who is not even under contract as an NFL player anymore, displaying his support in the fight against police brutality.

Why is Nike espousing this particular message? It's quite interesting, as it feels like sports are taking a backseat to politics in this one!

Edited by Obinna