The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Just now, Obinna said:

I'm sure they will. 

Dembele was a known quantity when he went to Barca. Sure they bought him for over 100 million euros (from Dortmund).

Davies is moving to Bayern for 1/5 of that (at most) and is coming from MLS. 

He is virtually an unknown by comparison.

Bayern will be in no rush to move him on after a few underperforming years. Even if he doesn't transform until he is 21, it would be worth the wait. At that age, his best years would still be in front of him.

I am sure you are right, we bought Dembele on better precedents than Bayern buying Davies, since he has top flight experience. But he has been, so far, very frustrating at Barça. No one believes he is anywhere near what he should be, and he does things constantly that you would expect a less-experienced Davies might do, like running from space into nothingness with speed and dribble, closing himself down, rushing into wrong decisions, trying to do too much--what we saw more from a talented Davies last year, and in the odd poorer performance this year (much less overall, he's reduced those type of errors a lot). 

It is a similar set up, however, seems to me. At least Bayern have more classic wing play in their current set up, which is a huge advantage. The thing he can learn from the masters, from Ribery and Robben, is how to keep a ball alive in attack, to stay in possession and play tight with the team. Then take your chances anyway you can when you have a shot or cross.

Just now, Macksam said:

How was he last night? I saw he made a great last second clearance from a cross since he switched to left back yesterday but that’s about all I know.

He was ok not his best performance but he didn’t play bad. I think he had trouble getting in the correct positions n the final third sometimes. A couple times he also took people on when he shouldn’t have. But to be fair to him he had a couple great runs. Overall I’d say he was decent but you can tell he’s not a left back. I’d give him something like a 6.5-7/10.

Heard a crazy stat during the game that he has most successful dribbles this year AND most successful battles won?  Was I mishearing? If so that’s pretty insane for a 17 year old.

I don’t think he was bad.. he wasn’t great but that came down to poor decision making imo.  One in particular was when he had someone overlapping on his right in the first half and he played it up to someone with their back to goal and the team lost the ball.. that had me saying out loud “what are you doing???”.  The talent level is insane though.. he beats guys for fun it’s almost too much. 

I don't think he's distracted at all... He's playing better now than earlier in the season but he's always had issues of having stretches of 3-4 games where he doesn't dominate a game. Partially due to piss poor teammates and partially due to being 17. It hasn't really changed since Bayern got involved.

That comment is less reflective of their one overall poor game and most indicative of the overall inability of most of the Whitecaps players to play combinations with Davies or hit him with key passes. 

Does it happen? yeah sure every once in a while they will hit Davies with a good pass but the number of times he's just not gotten the ball on a break is far too high. 

1 hour ago, The Beaver said:

I think he had a mediocre game--not a bad one--but I also think he is still nursing an injury. I expect a big game from him this coming weekend. I think I'd better get tickets.

Hard to predict big games but SJ is the worst team in the league, we just came off a dreadful first half performance against them, it's a critical 3 pts and they have a midweek game against Dallas.

4 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Hard to predict big games but SJ is the worst team in the league, we just came off a dreadful first half performance against them, it's a critical 3 pts and they have a midweek game against Dallas.

To  be clear, I feel almost certain the Caps overall will have a mediocre performance, but I think Davies will be brilliant. (The Beaver is never wrong ?)

Would it be realistic to expect to see him in the U-20 tournament after the season? If the Caps don't make playoffs and he gets a month and a half break before the tournament it would be huge to see him in the lineup. However, I know often when a player is a consistent starter for the men's team they won't go back down. What are the odds?

1 hour ago, Ngravs said:

Would it be realistic to expect to see him in the U-20 tournament after the season? If the Caps don't make playoffs and he gets a month and a half break before the tournament it would be huge to see him in the lineup. However, I know often when a player is a consistent starter for the men's team they won't go back down. What are the odds?

I think vegas is putting it at 54-7;)

But seriously I think he’d want to play in this competition over the Nations League, it depends if he’d want to avoid getting injured for January though

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I think vegas is putting it at 54-7;)

But seriously I think he’d want to play in this competition over the Nations League, it depends if he’d want to avoid getting injured for January though

LOL I'll take those odds any day! I can see Bayern having a word to say in this right? How does that work.. he's still Vancouver's and it's not in a "FIFA window" could Bayern force him to not play? It would be too bad... 

13 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

November 12-20 is a FIFA window so neither club can hold him back from playing during that time period.

https://www.fifa.com/calendar/

The U20 CONCACAF Youth Championship goes on through Nov 1-21 so I mean that’s only 8 Days where he can participate 

Part of me kinda wishes the Whitecaps don’t qualify...

I mean it’s been since 2007 that Canada hasn’t featured  in a under twenty World Cup and this is a great opportunity 

Davies is Eligible for the U20 team so just cause he’s already at senior level doesn’t mean we cannot use him here

Although I have a feeling that Bob Lenarduzzi Will probably want to have him for as long as possible

to be fair he is leaving after this season and joining Bayern in January so should they make the playoffs it’s a definite no

Knowing the CSA they’ll release the roster 3 days before the tournament so even if the caps get eliminated a week or two before it’s fine to add him 

4 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

The U20 CONCACAF Youth Championship goes on through Nov 1-21 so I mean that’s only 8 Days where he can participate 

Yes, and those dates will likely be the most important ones. It'll come down to the final group game against the top seed and then the two games in the 2nd round to qualify.