Jonathan David

Vince193

8 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Radzinski had 29 goals (23 in league play) his final year in Belgium. That might be the highest for a Canadian player in a quality European league. Not sure if there's enough games left for David to catch him.

Don't know the quality of players setting up Radzinski but David would have 4 or 5 more goals easy if  Gent had a better playmaker. Vadis is a decent player who'll run all day but decision making isn't one of his strengths. 

https://www.proximus-sports.be/nl/voetbal/jupiler-pro-league/video/27866/samenvatting-eupen-kaa-gent

(Edit: better highlights with the backheel)

The 2 goals are there and a nice back heel to get the break going for the third.

I would love him on my club side running the break. 

18 more games to score in guaranteed (including Europa League and  Championship Playoffs, I believe) and the two strikers that have played ahead of him for most of the year are out injured, so they may be leaning on him pretty hard.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

Radzinski had 29 goals (23 in league play) his final year in Belgium. That might be the highest for a Canadian player in a quality European league. Not sure if there's enough games left for David to catch him.

Thanks. I went to check Radz out on wiki, but his club stats per season were not available, just the overall stats in his profile, where it showed 50-something goals from 70 odd Anderlecht games, so I figured he must of had a massive season in three somewhere.

I don't know if Gent can get past Roma, but if so there's no telling how far they'll go. Roma would surely be one of the biggest teams left in Europa (not THE biggest, but certainly up there with the big boys). 

If David and Gent advance and go deep, we could see 4, 6, or even 8 extra games...and if that happens David is scoring goals for sure.

Edit: I see from @WestHamCanadianinOxford's post that he has 18 games left at least. Not unreasonable for him to score 10 goals to tie Radzinski.

Edited by Obinna

36 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Thanks. I went to check Radz out on wiki, but his club stats per season were not available, just the overall stats in his profile, where it showed 50-something goals from 70 odd Anderlecht games, so I figured he must of had a massive season in three somewhere.

I don't know if Gent can get past Roma, but if so there's no telling how far they'll go. Roma would surely be one of the biggest teams left in Europa (not THE biggest, but certainly up there with the big boys). 

If David and Gent advance and go deep, we could see 4, 6, or even 8 extra games...and if that happens David is scoring goals for sure.

Edit: I see from @WestHamCanadianinOxford's post that he has 18 games left at least. Not unreasonable for him to score 10 goals to tie Radzinski.

If Depoitre and Yaremchuk are both out for Gent, they’ll have a tough time.

3 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

If Depoitre and Yaremchuk are both out for Gent, they’ll have a tough time.

They're both quality strikers. Big and strong with excellent touch. It's almost like having 2 target men up front when David plays the 10. They create a lot of space in the box for David. 

On a positive note, Chak, the player who sent the cross in for the goal, seems finally to be rounding back into form after a lengthy layoff from knee surgery. At one time, he was considered the sure bet, miles ahead of David. 

Edited by Snowcrash

2 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Don't know the quality of players setting up Radzinski but David would have 4 or 5 more goals easy if  Gent had a better playmaker. Vadis is a decent player who'll run all day but decision making isn't one of his strengths. 

Radzinski was an all out striker and had Jan Koller as his strike partner, who also scored 29 goals that year, while David plays more of a midfield role. There is also an approximately 8 year age difference between David today and Radzinski in the 00/01 season. David's accomplishments are far more impressive.

Edited by Norrin Radd

41 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

With Yaremchuk injured, it appears David  will be taking penalties which will help his tally. 

I see it the same way, and not just for pks. David is now the main guy, so as long as Gent keep playing well David should be on the end of most of the goals. Someone has to be. 

On 2/11/2020 at 9:35 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

Funny that the one club he has identified as not liking is talking about him.

I completely agree with you, fortunately I think in the same article he also called Klopp "brilliant". 

Just because he "is not a fan" does not mean he can't play for them :), plus opinions always change. 

On 2/14/2020 at 10:11 PM, Obinna said:

What's the record for North Americans scoring in Europe? Because it seems like David may end up challenging it.

I was thinking Canadians/Americans, but throw in the Mexicans too if you'd like. I am very, very curious.

I know Altidore had 31 (I think it was) goals for AZ Alkmaar in all competitions.

David is now on 19 (by my count) and it's still February. Tied now for the Belgian golden boot with 15 league goals.

You don't want to throw in the Mexicans, I assure you. Hugo Sánchez scored over thirty-five in all competitions four years in a row. One year he had 38 in league and 42 total for Madrid, who did badly in Europe those years; I think Hugo Sánchez has more goals in Europe than every Canadian and American combined--but don't ask me to do the tabulations.

I would even venture that Dely Valdes has more goals alone in Europe than all Canadians combined, counting only top flights.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You don't want to throw in the Mexicans, I assure you. Hugo Sánchez scored over thirty-five in all competitions four years in a row. One year he had 38 in league and 42 total for Madrid, who did badly in Europe those years; I think Hugo Sánchez has more goals in Europe than every Canadian and American combined--but don't ask me to do the tabulations.

I would even venture that Dely Valdes has more goals alone in Europe than all Canadians combined, counting only top flights.

Yeah I figured Hugo Sanchez would be up there. Surely the best CONCACAF player of all time. Isn’t Dely Valdes Panamanian who played in La Liga back in the day?

Maybe one day David will be up there with the great CONCACAF forwards...

Just now, Obinna said:

Yeah I figured Hugo Sanchez would be up there. Surely the best CONCACAF player of all time. Isn’t Dely Valdes Panamanian who played in La Liga back in the day?

Maybe one day David will be up there with the great CONCACAF forwards...

Julio Cesar Dely Valdes, not his (twin?) brother, scored about 12-15 a year for maybe 5-6 years in Spain, he was consistent. 

I found the stat of totals for Mexicans, Giménez is the only still active in Europe at Wolverhampton

Hugo Sánchez 313

Javier Hernández 127

Carlos Vela 97

Raúl Giménez 68

Radzinski scored 190 goals in Europe in his career, 88 between Anderlecht, Everton and Fulham. Compares very well I'd say.

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Julio Cesar Dely Valdes, not his (twin?) brother, scored about 12-15 a year for maybe 5-6 years in Spain, he was consistent. 

I found the stat of totals for Mexicans, Giménez is the only still active in Europe at Wolverhampton

Hugo Sánchez 313

Javier Hernández 127

Carlos Vela 97

Raúl Giménez 68

Radzinski scored 190 goals in Europe in his career, 88 between Anderlecht, Everton and Fulham. Compares very well I'd say.

Impressive research ... big thumbs up!

6 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

https://tbrfootball.com/report-arsenal-everton-and-leicester-interested-in-gent-attacker-jonathan-david/

More rumours of interest from English sides and a couple of clubs from Italy also thrown in. I wouldn't mind seeing a Canadian playing in Serie A.

I think his game would fit in Serie A very well 

Strictly between those three English clubs, I think Leicester makes the most sense stylistically (although I'm not sure where he'd fit in their current formation). That being said, David can operate in pretty much any system. Of the other sides mentioned in the article I think RB Leipzig makes sense, especially if Werner leaves.

14 hours ago, El Diego said:

Strictly between those three English clubs, I think Leicester makes the most sense stylistically (although I'm not sure where he'd fit in their current formation). That being said, David can operate in pretty much any system. Of the other sides mentioned in the article I think RB Leipzig makes sense, especially if Werner leaves.

Can't see him starting for any of the English clubs, unless maybe if Everton have well and truly given up on Kean already. The RB clubs' philosophies are pretty good with young players, so there or Ajax, which was mentioned somewhere during the window.  Southampton was also mentioned then which I would like better than any of those three Premiership clubs. 

But again, if Gent make Champions League, why make a change when things are working where he is?

44 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Can't see him starting for any of the English clubs, unless maybe if Everton have well and truly given up on Kean already. The RB clubs' philosophies are pretty good with young players, so there or Ajax, which was mentioned somewhere during the window.  Southampton was also mentioned then which I would like better than any of those three Premiership clubs. 

But again, if Gent make Champions League, why make a change when things are working where he is?

I don’t get the champions league argument. Yes he will get to play against the best teams, but only a handful of times per year. I’d prefer him playing against top teams all year long. 

2 minutes ago, Reign said:

I don’t get the champions league argument. Yes he will get to play against the best teams, but only a handful of times per year. I’d prefer him playing against top teams all year long. 

He has to play, that is the biggest requirement. 

But there is not a league in the world where you play against top teams every week. Germany, Spain, England and probably Italy, there is a gulf between the top teams and the rest.  Scotland, France, Portugal, Russia, Netherlands, Denmark maybe, the tops teams are fewer and the gulf greater.  

They qualify for Champions League proper and they are guaranteed 6 games against top teams.  Even the Premier League, my team gets 12 against the "big" clubs.  Not a big enough gap to change something that is working and considering the success rate of players coming into big leagues, risk him not playing regularly.  For me at least.