Jonathan David

Vince193

Honestly, I'm still convinced David is a better player than Davies (though they are both REALLY close). Davies plays for a bigger club surrounded by world class player that almost always dominates their games; this allows Davies to play his football more freely and bring out his flare. Put David in a better team than Gent with other world class players, and I guarantee he'll turn things into a higher gear.

4 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Honestly, I'm still convinced David is a better player than Davies (though they are both REALLY close). Davies plays for a bigger club surrounded by world class player that almost always dominates their games; this allows Davies to play his football more freely and bring out his flare. Put David in a better team than Gent with other world class players, and I guarantee he'll turn things into a higher gear.

Davies is clearly ahead of David physically but not by as much as David is ahead of Davies in reading the game, seeing plays develop in advance and exploiting space in the attacking zone.

6 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Davies is clearly ahead of David physically but not by as much as David is ahead of Davies in reading the game, seeing plays develop in advance and exploiting space in the attacking zone.

Oh totally, no one comes close to Phonzie's athletism, but as a pure footballer, I still think David is ahead, he's just such a smart player, and plays like a veteran despite being so young.

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Oh totally, no one comes close to Phonzie's athletism, but as a pure footballer, I still think David is ahead, he's just such a smart player, and plays like a veteran despite being so young.

So David plays like a vet, imagine when Davies (who most agree has crazy athleticism and skill) gains more experience? He's what, 19 now? Imagine Davies at 23 or 24, when he has more experience and confidence and is at his physical peak. Scary....

https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/transfer-news/liverpool-latest-news-klopp-injuries-17725834

Jadon Sancho, Kylian Mbappé and Kai Havertz. Those three are the most highly-rated players aged 21 or under in the world today and all of them have been linked with a move to Liverpool recently. It shows how far the club have come during Jurgen Klopp’s reign that links to these wonderkids aren’t outrageous or easily dismissed, and arguments could be, and regularly are made as to why the Reds could sign each of them.

But ultimately, talk turns to price. While Liverpool have shown that they aren’t averse to going big - see Alisson Becker and Virgil van Dijk - those deals are exceptions to the rule. The Reds have internal valuations and are reluctant to exceed them when looking to add a player to their ranks. With that in mind, the Premier League leaders are more than likely going to be in the market for the next Mbappé, the next Sancho and the next Havertz.

There are many markets Liverpool can explore if they wish to. They have successfully navigated the market of relegated players, with Gini Wijnaldum, Andy Robertson and Xherdan Shaqiri proving successful signings. They have three players who have history with the Red Bull football group, and another four from Southampton. Alisson and Mohamed Salah came from Serie A.

But there are some markets which remain largely untouched. Divock Origi came from Lille in Ligue 1, but originated in Belgium; he is the only player in the first-team squad who comes from that background. There is also, surprisingly, a lack of North American players in the Premier League, let alone Liverpool. Christian Pulisic was picked up by Chelsea, while Tyler Adams (one of the US' next big hopes) remains at RB Leipzig.

But there is a player who falls into both of those categories: Jonathan David. Currently turning out for KAA Gent in the Belgian Pro League, the American-born Canadian international is quietly going about his business. The 20-year-old has 13 strikes to his name this term to go along with his seven assists. The versatile forward is involving himself in a goal every 91 minutes this term, an improvement on the 151 minutes he needed between goals and assists last year; he also recently netted in the 1-1 draw with Vincent Kompany’s Anderlecht to take his tally to four goals in four matches since the turn of the year.

At times this term he’s lead the line for Jess Thorup’s side in a two-man attack, but he’s also been deployed as an attacking midfielder in their 4-3-1-2 system. Despite alternating between the two positions, his output has remained eerily consistent. On a per 90 basis this season, David is averaging 0.62 goals and 0.34 assists from an expected goal contribution of 0.61. He’s outperforming his underlying numbers but even if he was just part for those averages the 20-year-old would still be one of the most prolific youngsters in Europe.

The 2018/19 campaign has been his most important to date. He was amongst the goals last season (12 in total) but repeating the trick for a second season shows he wasn’t a flash in the pan and that what he’s doing is sustainable. Not only is his actual output up, but his expected numbers have also risen. David isn’t yet a household name in Europe but he’s one of the big North American hopes. The 12-cap Canada international has 11 goals to his name already for his country and looks destined to lead them for the next decade along with FC Bayern’s Alphonso Davies.

Buying direct from inferior leagues comes with a lot of risk but the quality of the Belgian league is often overlooked. Over the years, a number of world class stars honed their craft in the Belgian Pro League. Powerhouses Genk (who Liverpool met in this season's Champions League) helped develop Kevin De Bruyne, Thibaut Courtois, Sergej Milinković-Savić, Kalidou Koulibaly, Leon Bailey, Wilfred Ndidi and new Sheffield United signing Sander Berge. They also had a hand in former Liverpool striker Christian Benteke’s rise to prominence. David's Gent also brought through De Bruyne (though he wouldn't make a senior appearance for them).

For whatever reason, players who thrive in the Jupiler League seem to do well at bigger clubs. So the fact David has only really been tested there shouldn’t deter prospective clubs. His return of 25 goals from 3,995 minutes reaffirms the fact there’s a talent there just waiting to be shaped by one of Europe’s elite coaches. For context, that represents more goals in fewer minutes than Havertz and Sancho. Albeit in a different league, it helps frame just how impressive the Gent man has been.

Not only does he score and assist, but he also creates havoc generally. He’s confident on the ball, attempting on average 4.65 dribbles and completing 55% of them. David plays 1.56 key passes per 90 and averages over five touches in the penalty area. The first stat is a luxury one, but the latter two are important for all Liverpool attackers.

They need to be able to pick out passes and they need to be confident seeing a lot of the ball in the area. It aids with composure and ensures they don’t rush into passes and needlessly sacrifice possession. Prior to their moves to Anfield, Mohamed Salah (4.5) and Sadio Mane (3.94) averaged fewer touches in the area than the Gent man.

Valued at around £18million by the Belgian club’s chairman, David ticks a number of boxes for the Reds. And recent comments shouldn’t put the European champions off making a move for him. In an interview with Het Laatste Nieuw, David revealed he isn’t a fan of the Reds: “I love all teams in the Premier League: Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, but also Southampton, Crystal Palace, Everton … I like nice teams. I’m just not a big fan of Liverpool.”

But opinions change in football all the time. If the Reds want to add an exciting attacking talent to their ranks but don’t want to pay the eye-watering fees being mooted for Sancho, Mbappé or Havertz then David could be the ideal signing. Especially as it ticks two boxes so far unticked at Anfield.

17 hours ago, Obinna said:

Just to be clear, it is the supporters talking about him. That is not the official Liverpool FC website. It is still very encouraging though, regardless.

It is amazing the supporters are able to see past him dissing Liverpool and recommend him for the club. As a Liverpool supporter myself I would be thrilled. Mind you as a Canadian supporter I'm too used to backing players with ambiguous feelings about us. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am the exact opposite in every respect 😅

Sometimes I wish I could have picked Liverpool or Man U (when I was younger) or felt that I could switch my allegiance to England (not that England has ever faced Canada in a match in anger in my lifetime) even but...

"...Like my dreams they fade and die" has become my lot in life. 

Anyway, back on topic.  I like Klopp and Liverpool would be a dream in terms of development for David but there is a more local North/South  dislike (like East/West back home) of Liverpool supporters (not to mention I grew up with Italian football friends) and truly, deeply I would only like Canadians in the Premier League with one team, for good or bad. 

For David, get Gent to the Champions League, play there next year and then play for someone like Ajax or someone big in Italy or Germany where I can watch him easily.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Sometimes I wish I could have picked Liverpool or Man U (when I was younger) or felt that I could switch my allegiance to England (not that England has ever faced Canada in a match in anger in my lifetime) even but...

"...Like my dreams they fade and die" has become my lot in life. 

Anyway, back on topic.  I like Klopp and Liverpool would be a dream in terms of development for David but there is a more local North/South  dislike (like East/West back home) of Liverpool supporters (not to mention I grew up with Italian football friends) and truly, deeply I would only like Canadians in the Premier League with one team, for good or bad. 

For David, get Gent to the Champions League, play there next year and then play for someone like Ajax or someone big in Italy or Germany where I can watch him easily.  

I appreciate your discretion in not asking me about my arranged courtship and marriage. 

Seriously, I too would be fine with him him getting a run in Champions with Gent. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

What's the record for North Americans scoring in Europe? Because it seems like David may end up challenging it.

I was thinking Canadians/Americans, but throw in the Mexicans too if you'd like. I am very, very curious.

I know Altidore had 31 (I think it was) goals for AZ Alkmaar in all competitions.

David is now on 19 (by my count) and it's still February. Tied now for the Belgian golden boot with 15 league goals.

Edited by Obinna