Herdman new head coach

matty

If Canada gets bounced in the group stage of the Gold Cup, does Herdman get canned? Especially with such a strong squad and raised expectations, maybe there is a chance?

I mean, I would. But I'm suspicious of him and also I liked OZ.

I want Canada to do well obviously, just curious. A group stage exit would be a massive failure in my opinion. OZ would be laughing his ass off somewhere...

22 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

If Canada gets bounced in the group stage of the Gold Cup, does Herdman get canned? Especially with such a strong squad and raised expectations, maybe there is a chance?

I mean, I would. But I'm suspicious of him and also I liked OZ.

I want Canada to do well obviously, just curious. A group stage exit would be a massive failure in my opinion. OZ would be laughing his ass off somewhere...

He should and John van 't Schip or Dwight Lodeweges or Jimmy Nicholl should be the replacement. No more dicking around ! 

Herdman is doing great on the recruiting, I give him that. Though the team on paper looks really good! So as a player Canada is good option. The only thing Herdman has not been tested and why are scared to do so? Like come on  arguably we have the best team Canada has ever  produce on paper, it’s time to play against a some real teams. I give USA soccer credit they are not afraid to take their younger players and put them up against the big boys like Italy and Portugal 

The CSA won't have the guts to fire him, but if the team looks poor at the GC and CNL this year, I'd hope Herdman gets reassigned/promoted within the CSA, maybe to GM role like the ussf have created.

The CSA / CSB may be sitting on a large influx of cash at years end thanks to CPL and mediapro, so maybe a proper coach isn't out of the question.  

I will wait until bad things actually happen before I start succession planning.  At this point we may not have a lot of evidence of his amazing abilities when it comes to coaching the CMNT, but we also don't have evidence of any alleged incompetence.  I am still reserving judgement until we hit the hard tests in the GC and CNL.  At this point, scouting his replacement seems premature.  And even if it turns out that he is a bit of a snakeoil salesman, the reality is that so far he has sold some important people the snakeoil.  While other factors would be in play (the rise of Davies, the potential for a Canada-scale golden generation, WC2026, etc.) two significant young targets have been recruited under his watch.  And yes, maybe he could do this just as effectively in a GM role - but  we don't really have cause for complaint yet in terms of his role as head coach.   

I haven't watched the video but lets be honest here, as far a coaches go, he's done nothing wrong until now. If they manage a point against French Guyana he'll have put the MNT in both Groups A of the Nations League and in the Gold Cup this year. That should be doable, a win would put them in the top 3 of qualification. After that, the games against better opponents will come. 

32 minutes ago, shamrock said:

I haven't watched the video but lets be honest here, as far a coaches go, he's done nothing wrong until now. If they manage a point against French Guyana he'll have put the MNT in both Groups A of the Nations League and in the Gold Cup this year. That should be doable, a win would put them in the top 3 of qualification. After that, the games against better opponents will come. 

Correction he’s done really nothing as a coach. He’s coached against a New Zealand C team and against semi pro Caribbean teams with Canada’s A squad. It’s kinda funny Oz’s first game was against Scotland. I don’t understand why we won’t see any real games until the gold cup. Why is the CSA protecting Herdman so much ? 

21 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I thought he was selling a time share in Nuevo Vallarta.  In fact, I'm going there in a few weeks' time and I am anticipating getting this same spiel at the resort where I am staying.

Let us know if you not only get the same spiel at the resort where you are staying, but if you are getting it from the same person. Because if not Herdman, then who......?

5 minutes ago, RS said:

Every time someone posts a video or audio clip of Herdman speaking, it leads to yet another discussion of when it would be appropriate for the CSA to fire him.

So bizarre.

Because he sounds like a shitty camp councillor  trying to convince everyone how wonderful he is, when he hasn’t won a damn thing yet. He should just shut up and win soccer games against real teams not some semi pro shop keepers. 

7 minutes ago, RS said:

Every time someone posts a video or audio clip of Herdman speaking, it leads to yet another discussion of when it would be appropriate for the CSA to fire him.

So bizarre.

Videos of our MNT playing games (against decent opponents) would be way better to have that discussion but it seems not everyone agree with that....

Just now, SpecialK said:

Because he sounds like a shitty camp councillor  trying to convince everyone how wonderful he is, when he hasn’t won a damn thing yet. He should just shut up and win soccer games against real teams not some semi pro shop keepers. 

This latest video was him was giving a talk at an OSA conference that he was invited to. What did you expect him to do there?

7 minutes ago, RS said:

So bizarre.

We just dont like the slimy speeches full of platitudes, hip coaching BUZZ words and pseudo "Tony Robbins" style motivation.   I wonder if the players do??  I find it hard to believe this kind of baloney has much effect on seasoned pros like Hutch, Arfield, Borjan et al.  I sure hope he is doing great things behind the scenes, ie making foundational changes to the "entire landscape" of CDN soccer.  And not just working on his lecture circuit act.  

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Correction he’s done really nothing as a coach. He’s coached against a New Zealand C team and against semi pro Caribbean teams with Canada’s A squad. It’s kinda funny Oz’s first game was against Scotland. I don’t understand why we won’t see any real games until the gold cup. Why is the CSA protecting Herdman so much ? 

At the end of the day, a win is a win but I also think that we as fans should look at the quality of these games and interpret if we felt the expectations were met.  To me a 1-0 win away to St Kitts & Nevis was not good enough and there were times we do not look great or particularly coached well.  Some of the formations and player choices could be questioned as well (Davies).

If we are content with a 1-0 win over St Kitts with the quality we have, then we as fans have a massive problem.  Mediocrity is not good enough in my opinion.

It still has no merit to fire Herdman (we got the win) but to me that result and level of play was not good enough.  It sounds like many of us have ambitions to make the 2022 as a nation but won't even make if we are beating St Kitts by a score of 1-0.

There is still a long way to go and like I said a win, is a win.  But my expectations are much higher going into the Gold Cup.

By The Way - St Kitts has never even qualified for a Gold Cup.  They also have not qualified for the past several Caribbean Cups.

Edited by Corazon

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

We just dont like the slimy speeches full of platitudes, hip coaching BUZZ words and pseudo "Tony Robbins" style motivation.   I wonder if the players do??  I find it hard to believe this kind of baloney has much effect on seasoned pros like Hutch, Arfield, Borjan et al.  I sure hope he is doing great things behind the scenes, ie making foundational changes to the "entire landscape" of CDN soccer.  And not just working on his lecture circuit act.  

I do find it interesting that very few people here cared about Herdman's style until he became the men's coach.

Whether he finds success with the men or not, or whether he's even right for this particular team, the fact is that he has already found success elsewhere in international soccer. Yet I can read posts in this thread about how he's "done nothing" as a coach.

Just now, RS said:

I do find it interesting that very few people here cared about Herdman's style until he became the men's coach.

Whether he finds success with the men or not, or whether he's even right for this particular team, the fact is that he has already found success elsewhere in international soccer. Yet I can read posts in this thread about how he's "done nothing" as a coach.

Women's soccer is much different than men's soccer.  It is also very important to note that although there is continual growth in women's international soccer, it has always been a competition with only the more developed nations.  Canada has always been one of the leaders in development particularly in women's sports.  The men's scene is a much different scene altogether.

Not taking away his accomplishments as a women's coach.  He was exceptional (it helps having Sinclair) but different game altogether.

1 minute ago, RS said:

I recall he got a lot of criticism at the last world cup for wearing ridiculously tight shirts.

Does anyone else remember an article from a few years ago interviewing Victor Montagliani where he stated that Herdman was not being considered for the CMNT job because he was not qualified? 

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Have you watch his ted talks? 

Again, TED talks are very specific in style. This OSA speech was very similar in format.

I'll turn your question back around on you. Have you watched his training sessions? Is there any reason other than the way he talks to the press and/or big audience that you seem to think he should be replaced immediately?

I'm not claiming to know if he's the one to lead Canada to new heights, but based on the objective data we have so far I just don't see how anyone can conclusively say he isn't.