Ottawa CPL Club

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I get the sense the CPL pulled out the check mate. Fury tried to screw with them by not entering the league. CPL knew fifa wouldn't sanction them in USL.  CPL spent the year finding Ottawa investors. Fury came back and tried to get back in at a discount and CPL probably said actually for you my friend double. Sorry not sorry your done we have an investor ready to go once your gone. You had your chance, MLSE and MLS maybe big but they're not fifa. You picked the wrong friends

CPL were playing Sicilian checkers and the Fury ended up being some Hungry Hungry Hippos

It's business, not personal

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

I hope someone new comes in soon because if not, this market will be difficult to break into for a long time.

Depends if OSEG is dead set at holding a grudge and not renting the stadium to CPL.

However, they aren't making money as is, so not spending on the Fury and getting an extra source of revenue would be the right business decision 

Rollins is 100% correct here (I don’t say that often).

No one wanted this outcome, no matter what side of the fence you were on. It’s bad for Ottawa, it’s bad for Canadian soccer, I’d even say it’s bad for the CPL because trying to break into a market that just had a club fold isn’t an easy sell to casuals. 

I don’t understood what OSEG was thinking. If things were this tight financially how would not joining the CPL last year make sense. They must have thought the sanctioning they received to play in USL was going to be granted again. 

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

It's business, not personal

Exactly.  Remember, the CPL is trying to gain new investors for new teams.  Strong arming people isn't a good look unless you want to scare others off.

10 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Rollins is 100% correct here (I don’t say that often).

No one wanted this outcome, no matter what side of the fence you were on. It’s bad for Ottawa, it’s bad for Canadian soccer, I’d even say it’s bad for the CPL because trying to break into a market that just had a club fold isn’t an easy sell to casuals. 

I don’t understood what OSEG was thinking. If things were this tight financially how would not joining the CPL last year make sense. They must have thought the sanctioning they received to play in USL was going to be granted again. 

Or maybe they saw this as a win for their other operations?  I.e. they'll roll over their losses from this venture into one that is a winner and pay less tax in the future.  

Either way, it's clear that OSEG does not give one F about Canadian soccer.. as we all knew.

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I see the baseball team folded. That looks like a decent stadium and location. Ottawa people?

That stadium may get bulldozed for housing.  The location is decent for public transportation.  But it has very little around it when it comes to food and other entertainment options (unless you call a Canadian Tire an entertainment option).

Before people start climbing onto the windowsill, I would point out that earlier someone claimed inside knowledge that they would cease operations for next season and join CPL in 2021.  We also have Clanachan talking about expansion plans for 2021.  Not sure why the non-year would be required (I have speculated that it may have to do with USL contractual obligations) but all is not necessarily lost.  

For sure it sucks for local footy fans who wanted to watch Fury next year.  But if this was the controlled burn that lets an Ottawa based CPL club germinate in 2021 (whether OSEG or not) I still maintain it will be best for Canadian soccer in the long run. 

Not in any way trying to sound gloaty - I just think it will be important to get the rest of the story in the next day or two. 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I get the sense the CPL pulled out the check mate. Fury tried to screw with them by not entering the league. CPL knew fifa wouldn't sanction them in USL.  CPL spent the year finding Ottawa investors. Fury came back and tried to get back in at a discount and CPL probably said actually for you my friend double. Sorry not sorry your done we have an investor ready to go once your gone. You had your chance, MLSE and MLS maybe big but they're not fifa. You picked the wrong friends

CPL were playing Sicilian checkers and the Fury ended up being some Hungry Hungry Hippos

That's a lot of speculation in one post.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Before people start climbing onto the windowsill, I would point out that earlier someone claimed inside knowledge that they would cease operations for next season and join CPL in 2021.  We also have Clanachan talking about expansion plans for 2021.  Not sure why the non-year would be required (I have speculated that it may have to do with USL contractual obligations) but all is not necessarily lost.  

For sure it sucks for local footy fans who wanted to watch Fury next year.  But if this was the controlled burn that lets an Ottawa based CPL club germinate in 2021 (whether OSEG or not) I still maintain it will be best for Canadian soccer in the long run. 

Not in any way trying to sound gloaty - I just think it will be important to get the rest of the story in the next day or two. 

IMHO, most rational post on this thread in the last 12 hours. Thx. 

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I want to like this post for all the fun references, but it's also super sad... I think we need a conflicted option.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

That stadium may get bulldozed for housing.  The location is decent for public transportation.  But it has very little around it when it comes to food and other entertainment options (unless you call a Canadian Tire an entertainment option).

I seem to remember there being a Starbucks a couple blocks away too... Haven't been in the area since the Champions launched though, so it may have been shuttered since.

17 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

I want to like this post for all the fun references, but it's also super sad... I think we need a conflicted option.

I seem to remember there being a Starbucks a couple blocks away too... Haven't been in the area since the Champions launched though, so it may have been shuttered since.

It’s still there, along with one of the few Best Buys left, a decent chip truck and a bingo hall.

I feel for those of you who are Fury fans. 

I hope that this is a temporary cessation of operations pending a switch to the CPL. If it is a permanent fold, then I hope that a CPL club is created in Ottawa in the short term. Either way, tough as this news will be for the Fury fans to swallow, it might just be the first step towards an even better Ottawa club - one that plays where it belongs, in our national league.