Ottawa CPL Club

3 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Never rejoice people when a pro soccer team folds even when it’s this controversial Fury team. It just gives ammunition to all the soccer haters to say there I told you so with their believe that pro soccer can’t really make it here in Canada and it will eventually all come crumbling down MLS and CPL included. Yes the Fury should have been in the CPL this year no reason why they should have held out. But I would rather there be a pro soccer team in Ottawa than nothing at all. Ottawa is folding because they are loosing a **** load of money never mind sanctioning and all that other crap. If they are not losing a ton of money they would be back even in the CPL in 2020. Moreover, where are all these new owners in Ottawa breaking down the doors to get into the CPL? This is a bad bad look for soccer in Canada expecially now with the World Cup coming and Canada’s men’s team starting to make some noise . 

I don’t see anyone rejoicing.  I see a ton of people frustrated as hell that OSEG didn’t heed the warning signs and didn’t get on board with CPL when it would have been free (no expansion fee in the first year).   People can talk about shared blame all they want, but most people who aren’t solidly in the Fury camp (and even many that were) were very much pro-CPL. 

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Simple answer is that the CPL was not around when the call had to be made to leave NASL.  I was (and still am) very supportive of the decision to leave the NASL.  There was no alternative at the time other than doing an FC Edmonton and that was not at all appetizing to the locals.

How bad do you think the Fury faithful will take this? If by hook or by crook the 2 sides get a deal and in 2021 we see a reformed CPL Fury, will there be lasting effects?  It seems like the Eddies couldnt seem to get the fans out this last season after taking a year off.  

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

They also barely scraped by the last place HFX over two legs 5-4.  If their budget was so much higher as some claim, it seems like they weren’t investing it that well.    

The Whitecaps have a much bigger budget than Cavalry and we saw what happened there. 

I wouldn’t use the results of a single two-legged fixture as a definitive measure of anything at a macro level.

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How bad do you think the Fury faithful will take this? If by hook or by crook the 2 sides get a deal and in 2021 we see a reformed CPL Fury, will there be lasting effects?  It seems like the Eddies couldnt seem to get the fans out this last season after taking a year off.  

True.  But easier to kick the can down the road.  Until the can becomes too heavy or the road ends.

The problem is that some people will find other things to do in the summer and when soccer is back in town, they may not come back (or as often).  The reality is that it is what we are faced with.

1 minute ago, RS said:

The Whitecaps have a much bigger budget than Cavalry and we saw what happened there. 

I wouldn’t use the results of a single two-legged fixture as a definitive measure of anything at a macro level.

Fair enough. But I keep hearing the vast gulf referenced as proof of the hit Fury would take if the “downgraded” to CPL.  Since most of that info isn’t published and seems really speculative, I am going by the one hard metric I have at my disposal.  And according to that, either the budgets/quality is not that different, or Fury didn’t turn the alleged larger budget into dominance when (I suspect) they would have really, really liked to display it. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t see anyone rejoicing.  I see a ton of people frustrated as hell that OSEG didn’t heed the warning signs and didn’t get on board with CPL when it would have been free (no expansion fee in the first year).   People can talk about shared blame all they want, but most people who aren’t solidly in the Fury camp (and even many that were) were very much pro-CPL. 

These Ottawa owners have basically given up on soccer, you really think an expansion fee is the reason they are folding than joining the CPL? They just wanted out and tired of losing money and now are just throwing out every imaginable excuse to why they are folding from CPL expansion fee to CSA sanctioning. Hopefully some new owners with real money will be found very soon in Ottawa and pro soccer can come back as early as 2021. 

Just now, SoccMan said:

These Ottawa owners have basically given up on soccer, you really think an expansion fee is the reason they are folding than joining the CPL? They just wanted out and tired of losing money and now are just throwing out every imaginable excuse to why they are folding from CPL expansion fee to CSA sanctioning. Hopefully some new owners with real money will be found very soon in Ottawa and pro soccer can come back as early as 2021. 

Okay.  Still doesn't mean anyone here is dancing on their grave. 

1 minute ago, SoccMan said:

After having thought about this some more, I think you’re correct on all fronts.

I dont get it, if CSA said ok for this next season in USL....why couldnt the 2 parties have sold CONCACAF/FIFA on the idea that they needed just one more year to make a deal to bring the Fury over???  That way Fury doesnt close its doors and lose hard won momentum??  Unless it really is bad blood and nobody wanted to make a deal...the bit about OSEG getting the courtesy to decide/ransom note/respect and trust etc makes it sound like bad blood.  

Just now, SoccMan said:

The main problem will be whether Landsdowne Park is a viable venue as a tenant of OSEG, and if not how easy it is to find an alternative.

Just now, Bison44 said:

I dont get it, if CSA said ok for this next season in USL....why couldnt the 2 parties have sold CONCACAF/FIFA on the idea that they needed just one more year to make a deal to bring the Fury over???  That way Fury doesnt close its doors and lose hard won momentum??  Unless it really is bad blood and nobody wanted to make a deal...the bit about OSEG getting the courtesy to decide/ransom note/respect and trust etc makes it sound like bad blood.  

The Fury didn't want that though, Goudie mentioned how they wanted longer term sanctioning to play in USL. 

7 minutes ago, Fullback said:

I really feel bad for every Fury fan out there. But holy f*ck get Mark Goudie as far away from Canada Soccer as possible. He doesn’t understand anything

I think the CPL agrees with you and thus were fine with Fury dying so a new ownership group could be installed.

If the rumours of the new ownership group in Ottawa don't pan out, it will not surprise me if another group backed financially by Bob Young fills the void for 2021.

Edited by BrennanFan

But they should have know from last year long term sanctioning wasnt coming.  Any arguments about diaparity between the levels of play or exemptions would have been put to rest by the CPL season.  Having CPL get a streaming deal, having comparable attendances to Ottawas, and beating MLS opponents in Can champ would have left Fury with little to argue when they went back to CONCACAF for another sanctioning meeting. 

I wonder if this means that they still have a USL franchise and can sell it, move it etc??  Or is there a clause that mandates you cant close you doors or the deal is off??  

Help me understand the situation here. The city decides who plays out of Lansdowne Park? OSEG just tried to take over running all of Landsdowne park but the city denied this request? This would have turned over that power completely to OSEG?

The timing of all this feels like it might be related. I'm pretty sure the CPL has made contact before now with the city of Ottawa

Edited by SpursFlu

Just now, Bison44 said:

The articles posted here dont mention anything about OSEG and Lansdowne not being a viable tenant.  WIth OSEG being involved in bringing another tenant/user (rugby) it doesnt seem likely that there are stadium problems.  

I might be wrong, but I believe that OSEG is partnering up with the Rugby franchise, which should eliminate most types of difficulties in terms of tenancy.

But we'll see how it works when a CPL club, whose ownership is unrelated to OSEG, tries to implement itself in Ottawa. By controlling the stadium, OSEG controls a whole lot of things. And it's obvious that there is bad blood between CPL and OSEG.

I am wary.

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

Help me understand the situation here. The city decides who plays out of Lansdowne Park? OSEG just tried to take over running all of Landsdowne park but the city denied this request? This would have turned over that power completely to OSEG?

The timing of all this feels like it might be related. I'm pretty sure the CPL has made contact before now with the city of Ottawa

OSEG manages the stadium, and controls the tenancy for the residential and commercial developments in Lansdowne.

The city controls other parts of it, such as the two exhibition spaces and the park (maybe the public square as well, but I don't know).

OSEG wanted to control the areas which the city currently controls. The City has not said no, they've more like delayed taking a decision.

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Help me understand the situation here. The city decides who plays out of Lansdowne Park? OSEG just tried to take over running all of Landsdowne park but the city denied this request? This would have turned over that power completely to OSEG? ...

OSEG already fully controlled the stadium and the arena on a 30 year lease, but wanted control over the rest of the park as well so they could earn more revenue off it.

2 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

OSEG manages the stadium, and controls the tenancy for the residential and commercial developments in Lansdowne.

The city controls other parts of it, such as the two exhibition spaces and the park (maybe the public square as well, but I don't know).

OSEG wanted to control the areas which the city currently controls. The City has not said no, they've more like delayed taking a decision.

Ok so nobody can negotiate a tenancy in the stadium directly with the city. That would have to be agreed upon by OSEG?

OSEG likes money don't they? If there was a tenancy agreement that made them money wouldn't they say yes? Or No?

Edited by SpursFlu

1 minute ago, Sébastien said:

I might be wrong, but I believe that OSEG is partnering up with the Rugby franchise, which should eliminate most types of difficulties in terms of tenancy.

But we'll see how it works when a CPL club, whose ownership is unrelated to OSEG, tries to implement itself in Ottawa. By controlling the stadium, OSEG controls a whole lot of things. And it's obvious that there is bad blood between CPL and OSEG.

I am wary.

HAHA, as far as another soccer group going into TD??  Oh you bet, OSEG wont want that at all.  But others were qouting an article as proof OESG might be having trouble with the stadium, which could be a reason for all this, which I think is not true at all.  

36 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

You are not really going to do much better than the Minto Group as owners for Ottawa

Just now, Bison44 said:

HAHA, as far as another soccer group going into TD??  Oh you bet, OSEG wont want that at all.  But others were qouting an article as proof OESG might be having trouble with the stadium, which could be a reason for all this, which I think is not true at all.  

Yeah. It's not about the stadium, but the whole area, of which OSEG controls a large portion.

On its year-over-year operations, OSEG is making money. But when you factor in things like interest on the debt and accounting for the depreciation of the assets, they lost $12 million last year. But I think we need to be clear: this is due to the whole residential, commercial, and stadium aspect. Not the stadium itself.

They have some operational issues, sure, but their biggest problem seems that their profits cannot cover their debt payments.