Ottawa CPL Club

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Have not heard of a single mention of CPL from the Fury (front office, back office, any staff at all).  Would be shocked if the Fury are in the CPL next season.

When the CEO of OSEG was interviewed during the match in Halifax he said that the lines of communication were still open, and that's all that I've heard from anyone with any authority as far as CPL goes. He stated back then that the plan was still USL in 2020.

3 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

An article in Le Droit (paper version) quoted DeGuzman saying that the Fury expect to be in the USL in 2020, I couldn't find the article on-line.

https://www.ledroit.com/sports/fury/le-fury-cherche-un-autre-profil-dentraineur-37f007c40ecd70dee58d65150a70a31a

Check the last two paragraphs.

They also mention that they want to win trophies and by trophies, they mean the V's Cup and the USL Championship. 

I just find this strange there has to be more to it . I mean ok you don’t want to join the league the first year , you want to see what the league is like I get that. However, we have seen that the CPL is basically more or less the same as the USL in most cases in terms of attendance and level of play. The USL is not the MLS so it’s not like Ottawa is dropping a level by going into the CPL it’s the same level and your helping grow the game more by hopefully stabilizing a league in your own country  and helping it grow. The Fury attendance is more or less the same as the average in the CPL this season . Moreover, I don’t think the Fury will get less media coverage if they were to go to the CPL. It’s not like they would have to pay their players more most likely the same. The only thing that might be a bit more is the amount payed to travel in the CPL but even here I might be mistaken. So what the heck is it I don’t get it this is very very strange .

Edited by SoccMan

My personal opinion is that the possible answers to the question of why would the Fury not join the CPL would be one or more of the following

1) they have paid (or still have to pay) a significant amount to the USL when they entered the league; 

2) they still have significant reservations about the long term viability of the CPL (my guess is they want to give the league at least 3-4 seasons of operations before they join)

3) they do not want to pay another entrance fee to a league that still "only" has 7 teams (when the Fury were in the NASL, there were only around that number of teams)

4) rather take financial risks in a league they believe is more of a solid bet

5) greater travel costs and playing the same teams multiple times (more cross country trips)

6) believe that the average soccer fan in Ottawa that goes to the Fury games may not even be aware of (or care about) the CPL - there is practically zero coverage of it in the media here in town

I may be wrong on one or more of these assumptions but if none of these are correct, then it would truly make no sense to me.  

9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

My personal opinion is that the possible answers to the question of why would the Fury not join the CPL would be one or more of the following

1) they have paid (or still have to pay) a significant amount to the USL when they entered the league; 

2) they still have significant reservations about the long term viability of the CPL (my guess is they want to give the league at least 3-4 seasons of operations before they join)

3) they do not want to pay another entrance fee to a league that still "only" has 7 teams (when the Fury were in the NASL, there were only around that number of teams)

5) greater travel costs and playing the same teams multiple times (more cross country trips)

6) believe that the average soccer fan in Ottawa that goes to the Fury games may not even be aware of (or care about) the CPL - there is practically zero coverage of it in the media here in town

I may be wrong on one or more of these assumptions but if none of these are correct, then it would truly make no sense to me.  

Me, me, me...

all about me lorinska GIF by Channel 7

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Of course...but it's business.

I have no problem this being about business. They just need to own up to it and stop the double speech. Mascarading their decision as "for the good of Canadian soccer is uber BS".

It's a business decision whith the sole purpose of being for the benefit of the owners, period...own it...that I would respect more.

Spare us the BS about Canadian soccer, it's 100% self serving 

Edited by Ansem

12 hours ago, JamboAl said:

My guess is it has more to do with the people running the CPL than anything else. Remember those involved with the CPL are also part of the CFL. OSEG would know them pretty well. 
As for those in Ottawa not knowing much about the CPL, that’s pretty accurate. Still haven’t found anyone that follows the CPL or knows anything about it. Obviously without a team in the league that makes sense. Those same people tho know just as little about the USL. Just goes to show you how casual the local soccer fan is here in Ottawa. 

33 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Those same people tho know just as little about the USL. Just goes to show you how casual the local soccer fan is here in Ottawa. 

Or maybe the USL gives them little to care about...

I used to be a huge Impact fan between 2011-2014 and it was a constant struggle to care about MLS and I downgraded to casual fan to now..."opportunistic fan"---I'll watch if they are in my face, otherwise, I won't

56 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Or maybe the USL gives them little to care about...

I used to be a huge Impact fan between 2011-2014 and it was a constant struggle to care about MLS and I downgraded to casual fan to now..."opportunistic fan"---I'll watch if they are in my face, otherwise, I won't

Maybe. I’d say the folks who are going to the Fury games are Fury soccer fans first. 

Been away for a bit, but I need to chime in here. I think there most of the Fury issues right now are coming down to turmoil within OSEG. This the news that has been coming out the last week:

• Letting go the coach of the Fury, personnel incompatibilities
  • Letting go the coach of the CFL RedBlacks, personnel incompatibilities
  • Trying to get the City to give them rights to operate the parkland and schedule events in the spaces they don't yet control to raise more money
  • Landsdowne redevelopment posting a net loss of $12.7 million from Jan 2018 to March 2019.
  • Hearing rumours that the original revenue forecasts will end up with the City just breaking even at the end of the agreement and OSEG being well in the red.

What worries me is that it feels like OSEG is flailing around looking for new sources of cash flow to prop up an ailing business. I'm worried there might not be a team next season. I think at this point they would jump to the CanPL if they could, but they must be locked into the USL with punitive fees that could pull the whole operation under.

Just now, dnina10 said:

Now this sounds like big news. Who knows where this could possibly go? I am not going to lie. I feel like this is something potentially big

Yes, but not necessarily good. There’s no countdown clock on CanPL’s website, and I was told in no uncertain terms by my ticket rep that there would be 7 clubs next season. I hate to say it, but this might be the end for the Fury. I hope I’m wrong. 

1 minute ago, dnina10 said:

Now this sounds like big news. Who knows where this could possibly go? I am not going to lie. I feel like this is something potentially big

Exactly, who knows. Could be about the club's future, or could be that they've already decided on next season's head coach. I don't remember the Fury calling something "major" and it ending up being something like a depth player being added to the squad, so I am legit expecting something.

6 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

Exactly, who knows. Could be about the club's future, or could be that they've already decided on next season's head coach. I don't remember the Fury calling something "major" and it ending up being something like a depth player being added to the squad, so I am legit expecting something.

I feel that. Looking forward to tomorrow now😃

Sébastien, just to make sure you know, I copied and pasted your original post onto the CPL potential expansion clubs thread. I mentioned that it was you who originally posted that here. I hope you are okay with that

Edited by dnina10
Adding an extra important piece of information