Ottawa CPL Club

18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I don't wish the Fury ill in any way.  My main hope has always been to see a CPL team in Ottawa ASAP (whether Fury or some other team).  This sort of thing - players looking enviously towards CPL - might hurt Fury in the short term, but I think it would be a great development in terms of the long game.  I will root for anything that exerts extra pressure on OSEG  to make the jump to CPL. 

40 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

While the numbers don't lie, it is tricky to draw too many conclusions.  One could argue that the V cup game against Halifax had more importance than a regular season game, and the chance to see TFC would undeniably be a draw for some fence sitters.  Having said that, you would think that the playoff game attendance would have been at least equal to the HFX game if it was only a matter of importance and not geography. 

Ya, there are a lot of factors to complicate things, importance of the games, how much notice there was, whether it was included in season ticket packages (apparently the V cup game was but playoffs weren't), what the weather was like, etc. Essentially I don't think that playing a CPL team would result in an almost 50% increase in attendance, but I could easily see it resulting in a 10-25% boost. Maybe just back to their averages from 2014-2017 (not counting the games at Carleton before the Lansdowne redevelopment was done). 

9 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Fury fall in playoffs to Charleston Battery 5-4 on pk's at home in front of just over 2400 announced attendance, if they are jumping to CPL should be annouced soon.

Don't think its happening for 2020 though imo, maybe for 2021.

Nope,  as I understand it,  if they stay for next year they have to commit to three years. So the choice is 2020 or 2023. I cannot see the CanPL waiting until 2023 for them to switch. 

8 minutes ago, ted said:

Nope,  as I understand it,  if they stay for next year they have to commit to three years. So the choice is 2020 or 2023. I cannot see the CanPL waiting until 2023 for them to switch. 

I thought they'd be exempt since ultimately, it's a potential issue with CONCACAF. The 3 years must be for US based clubs only.

The reality is we don't know. 

USL might allow Fury to make rolling one year commitments in light of the ongoing need for CONCACAF sanctioning.

USL might require Fury to make a three year commitment despite the ongoing need for CONCACAF sanctioning (and let Fury take that risk)

Fury might secure an informal commitment from CONCACAF for a 3 year approval allowing them to stay in USL.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Like I said, Larson is a professional troll, but at least now he's on our side.

I hope this sort of thing doesnt continue.  I dont want to see Larson and Deguz going tit for tat over social media running each other down.  Clanahan said all the right things, CPl wants them, needs a team in Ottawa, and they want to make a deal with the Fury rather than starting from scratch.  Tell Larson to shut his pie hole and let the adults do the talking...behind closed doors.  

R-2504432-1383913190-7676.jpeg.jpg

7 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Come on Ottawa.  We need you. Doesn't it feel good to be needed? In the USL you're like a 34th wheel or whatever. They won't even notice your gone

Come give your Canadian brothers a big hug. We know you want to

We need each other.

USL is a dead end for them and they aren't going to be one of the USL clubs jumping to MLS.

9 hours ago, Ansem said:

9 hours ago, Viruk42 said:

If true, it's at least a step in the right direction.

I agree. Definitely looks like an offering.

If it's Fury offering to come in for 2020 at that rate, with them having to agree to all the same CPL rules as everyone else, I'd shake hands on it. Bring them in, end the all the back-and-forth nonsense, end all the will-they-or-won't-they CONCACAF bullshit, and just get on with building the league, Canadian players, refs & coaches.

If they're the 1st expansion side, coming in solo for the next season, this would be an palatable deal IMO.

13 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

I agree. Definitely looks like an offering.

If it's Fury offering to come in for 2020 at that rate, with them having to agree to all the same CPL rules as everyone else, I'd shake hands on it. Bring them in, end the all the back-and-forth nonsense, end all the will-they-or-won't-they CONCACAF ********, and just get on with building the league, Canadian players, refs & coaches.

If they're the 1st expansion side, coming in solo for the next season, this would be an palatable deal IMO.

If true, that would be a major step in the right direction.  Just to know they are seriously discussing this issue is a positive move.

It would be interesting to know what concessions the CPL have made.  Anything that gives them an advantage on-field, I'm not interested.

Otherwise, I would probably go for it if I were CPL.  It's in the best interests of Canadian footy.

Yeah, if the one concession was avoiding an increase in fees and we could all kiss and make up, that would absolutely be a deal worth taking.  CPL would gain access to a big Canadian market and Fury would get in pretty much at the ground floor and be on equal footing with the founders.  

Past BS aside, this would be an amazing resolution to this issue.   

28 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Devil is always in the details.

May leave a bad taste in the mouth, special consideration for Fury, but Ottawa is an A+ target market for CPL.  So....hmmm.  Positive 1st impression.

Hard to deny that special consideration might be warranted. They are a turnkey operation (in a CPL context) in a major market and predate all of the CPL clubs. 

36 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Hard to deny that special consideration might be warranted. They are a turnkey operation (in a CPL context) in a major market and predate all of the CPL clubs. 

Yeah it may leave a sour taste but at the end of the day having Ottawa in the league would be pretty big for interest and competition. I've got my fingers crossed for it to happen.

Also love that they're not talking about splitting the league and doing some silly playoff format based on divisions. Promotion/relegation (in time) is the way to go.

This is rumor seems to have some credibility when you see Clanachan not putting expansion for 2020 out of the question yet.  At this stage the Fury moving over would be the only thing that would be ready to go next year.

Bottom line for OSEG (and all businesses) is money. 

1) OSEG has seen the quality of the CPL is similar to the league they play in with less of an operation budget, equals more profit.

2) Crowds have been larger at home when the opponent is a Canadian team (CPL and MLS), equals more profit.  

3) As the league is only in Year 1 there is more potential for growth in revenue than USL, equals more profit.  (There is more risk here as a start up league, but I am assuming that in past negotiations CPL has shared their business model with OSEG and said model makes sense to OSEG.)

If OSEG is willing to come in now without all of the special treatment that was offered to them ahead of the CPL launch allowing OSEG to buy in at the original fee seems like a good deal.  OSEG and the Fury have a lot to offer the CPL and vice versa, both sides eat a little crow here and get it done.