Ottawa CPL Club

After last season when  a lot of us (myself) were just waiting for the formality of Fury joining and we got kicked in the nuts...I dont want to get to excited.  Personally I dont even care if they get a competitive advantage coming over, having a balanced sched, less midweek games, bringing them into the fold it would all be worth it.  

I also don’t want to get too excited yet but adding the Fury would be a huge move for the league.  

1- expansion adds to the perception that the league is moving forward.  I realize teams may be added in 2021 but for an existing team to come after 1 year is great.

2- It balances the schedule.  Having 7 teams has been a huge pain and forces a lot of midweek games with lower attendance.

3- Cleans up the Canadian pyramid.  With L1BC coming on-board and the Fury joining this will really reduce Canadian teams in lower US leagues.

Doesnt appear like ottawa is remotely close to joining the CPL. From the CPLs perspective at least. That unscripted interview confirms CPL knows nothing new imo.

Obviously that can change at almost any given moment as the CPL have made their plays. Ball is entirely in furys court.

I hope they come in. It's an absolute no brainer for everyone and they are only hurting themselves in the long run staying out of it. I get the fears about the league being sustainable but they would be a big part in helping the league grow and thrive.

I fear more and more fans will desert the fury and if its true they are tied in until 2023 if they commit next year to usl then the CPL will go hard on starting another Ottawa team and no-one really wants that. V- cup would be fun though!

I wonder if they’re trimming their front office budget to meet CPL rules?

From a roster rules perspective- aside from carrying 9 internationals instead of 7 their roster would be compatible with the CPL.  They have enough young players and the roster is only 23 players.

They could really move over with probably only 30 days notice at this point before the schedules are made.

55 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Or maybe they just want a new coach after a midtable finish and a playoff run that was over before it had really begun? This move is nothing out of the ordinary under the circumstances.

According to reports, they could ge bleeding players as some are reported to wants to move to CPL...

If you can't beat them...join them 😁

Edited by Ansem

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Popovic has been hated all year??  I dont follow Fury enough, so if Ottawa fan and jamboAl say so...it is so.  I wonder if this "insider" Jakubec has any insight on who the replacement is....

I think hated would be a strong term.  But I couldn’t tell what structure we were playing and had no idea why certain players (such as Attakora and Dixon) were being left out while a walking time bomb as a centre back was being played all the time.  The tactics were baffling and towards the end of the season, we were turning wins into draws when the other team was down to 10 men.  

If you’ve heard AJ on the soccer broadcasts, on the RedBlacks call or when he’s filling in on the different shows on TSN 1200, you’d know he isn’t afraid to call anyone out. He regularly rips the players, coaches and organizations. He is far from a company man. 

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

An article in Le Droit (paper version) quoted DeGuzman saying that the Fury expect to be in the USL in 2020, I couldn't find the article on-line.

Have not heard of a single mention of CPL from the Fury (front office, back office, any staff at all).  Would be shocked if the Fury are in the CPL next season.