General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Like you I am also impressed by our 8-game win streak against minnows and teams below us in the ranking, and am likewise comforted by us not winning but maybe almost tying a team that is higher than us. That is certainly the sort of benchmark all professionals should be subject to.

If your sarcasm translates to: I am unimpressed with the fact we "played well" in a loss, then I am on board. 

Yes, there are things to be encouraged about in the loss, but results breed confidence more than "playing well". To be honest I don't even think we played well enough to be satisfied. We had possession but were chasing the game. They were bunkering and protecting the lead. Games play out like that all the time.

It's kind of unremarkable if you ask me. I am still left dissatisfied with how that game played out. There'd be a wow factor if we were taking the game to the USA in 2015, but this is kind of unremarkable for Canada in 2021. 

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If your sarcasm translates to: I am unimpressed with the fact we "played well" in a loss, then I am on board. 

Yes, there are things to be encouraged about in the loss, but results breed confidence more than "playing well". To be honest I don't even think we played well enough to be satisfied. We had possession but were chasing the game. They were bunkering and protecting the lead. Games play out like that all the time.

It's kind of unremarkable if you ask me. I am still left dissatisfied with how that game played out. There'd be a wow factor if we were taking the game to the USA in 2015, but this is kind of unremarkable for Canada in 2021. 

Did you see how they celebrated? 

I think this was a good result for us thinking ahead to September. They will return from El Salvador sure of themselves. 

2 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

I’m positive that we played well, and the result just shows you need difference makers in attack to break down a defense like that.  I’m encouraged that when healthy we have some of those (Davies, David, Larin) that weren’t available to us at the end of that game.

The downside is there'll also have better defenders. Brooks wasn't there. Richards wasn't there. McKenzie wasn't there. You could make a case that Robinson and Sands are McKenzie level, maybe even Richards level (probably a stretch), but them having Brooks would change things for sure. He seemed to have David in his pocket at BMO, despite our win there. 

I have confidence in our difference makers, but there should be a better CB pairing for them to contend with next time around. 

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did you see how they celebrated? 

I think this was a good result for us thinking ahead to September. They will return from El Salvador sure of themselves. 

If they are sure of themselves as in overconfident, that's great for us. If they are sure of themselves as in they are confident, not so good. With all the talent they have we don't want them building confidence against us. 

At least on the bright side they still have the Davies/David fear factor. At least their fans do. If we managed to lose that game with Davies we'd lose some of that. 

Passing grade but not really moving the needle a whole lot for me.  The match performances and results have to be measured in real time.  By that I mean in context.  Losing Larin, all the players out from COVID, these are real things that have real meaning.  So yeah, enough to dull the short comings and celebrations for me.

So far so good, has to be said.  Expecting a win against Costa Rica.  Larin or no.

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Ah sorry, I should've clarified; I have frequented that forum (I now realize that is perhaps the wrong word), but I was wondering if "General discussion on CMNT" was aware of this incredible talent currently playing in the Future of Football Cup with Brugge u23.

Edit: my question has been answered, you are aware.

Edited by SwedishBadMan

7 minutes ago, SwedishBadMan said:

Ah sorry, I should've clarified; I have frequented that forum (I now realize that is perhaps the wrong word), but I was wondering if "General discussion on CMNT" was aware of this incredible talent currently playing in the Future of Football Cup with Brugge u23.

Edit: my question has been answered, you are aware.

Yeah, we all generally lurk on almost all of the threads.  

Concacaf announces a mens' and womens' Concacaf player of the year award. To be voted for any player representing their senior national team, or playing in a Concacaf league.

Voting from head coaches, captains, media (designated) and fans (online).

First awards in the early new year.

No question Davies would have won in 2020. This year it could be a bit more complicated, I'd say quite so--but as we stand, who is the Concacaf male player of the year so far? Could the Gold Cup be a factor in determining a winner? Or the first rounds of WC qualifying?

https://www.concacaf.com/news/concacaf-launches-new-annual-awards-focused-on-men-s-and-women-s-player-of-the-year-categories/

Canadians in MLS:

Player Team Position GP GS MP G A
Cristian Gutierrez Vancouver LB 14 14 1229 0 3
Richie Laryea Toronto RB 11 11 990 1 0
Russell Teibert Vancouver CM 14 12 932 0 0
Alistair Johnston Nashville RB 11 11 932 0 0
Lucas Cavallini Vancouver ST 11 10 922 3 1
Tesho Akindele Orlando ST 14 10 800 3 4
Zach Brault-Guillard Montreal RB 12 8 788 1 2
Michael Baldisimo Vancouver CM 11 8 788 0 0
Mark Anthony Kaye Los Angeles CM 10 9 758 0 1
Kamal Miller Montreal CB 9 8 757 0 0
Tajon Buchanan New England RW 12 9 742 3 3
Ayo Akinola Toronto ST 11 8 649 3 0
Zorhan Bassong Montreal LB 11 6 590 0 1
Jay Chapman Miami CM 11 6 554 0 1
Samuel Piette Montreal CM 8 6 543 0 2
Tyler Pasher Houston ST 8 7 534 3 3
Joel Waterman Montreal CB 7 6 529 0 2
Mathieu Choiniere Montreal CM 7 5 445 1 0
Ralph Priso Toronto CM 8 5 403 1 1
Luke Singh Toronto CB 5 4 396 1 0
Jonathan Osorio Toronto CM 6 5 373 3 0
Liam Fraser Columbus (from Toronto) CM 7 3 324 0 0
Raheem Edwards Los Angeles LW 9 3 306 0 0
Jacob Shaffelburg Toronto LW 8 3 293 1 0
Clement Bayiha Montreal RB 7 2 217 0 0
Noble Okello Toronto CM 5 2 186 1 0
Ryan Raposo Vancouver CM 12 1 173 0 1
Derek Cornelious Vancouver (to Panetolikos) CB 5 1 144 0 0
Jayden Nelson Toronto RW 3 2 113 0 0
Ashtone Morgan Salt Lake LB 2 1 86 0 0
Tosaint Ricketts Vancouver ST 4 0 58 0 0
Jordan Peruzza Toronto (to San Antonio) ST 1 0 45 0 0
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty Toronto CM 2 0 35 0 1
Kamron Habibullah Vancouver CM 2 0 30 0 0
Theo Bair Vancouver ST 3 0 26 0 0
Patrick Metcalfe Vancouver CM 4 0 22 0 0
Damiano Pecile Vancouver (to Venezia) CM          
Simon Colyn Vancouver (to SPAL) CM          
Gianfranco Facchineri Vancouver CB          
Rocco Romeo Toronto CB          
Julian Dunn-Johnson Toronto CB          
Sean Rea Montreal (to Valour FC) CM          
Tomas Giraldo Montreal (to FC Edmonton) CM          
Karifa Yao Montreal (to Cavalry FC) CB          
Keesean Ferdinand Montreal (to Atletico Ottawa) CB          
Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla Montreal ST          
Jean-Aniel Assi Montreal ST          
Nathan-Dylan Saliba Montreal CM          
Rida Zouhir Montreal C          
Callum Montgomery Minnesota CB          

Player Team Position GP GS MP S GA
Maxime Crepeau Vancouver GK 11 11 990 35 18
James Pantemis Montreal GK 7 7 630 20 9
Dayne St Clair Minnesota GK 4 4 360 11 10
Thomas Hasal Vancouver GK 4 4 360 9 7
Greg Ranjitsingh Philadelphia GK          
Jonathan Sirois Montreal (to Valour FC) GK          
Isaac Boehmer Vancouver GK          
Sebastian Breza Montreal (from Bologna) GK          

On 7/24/2021 at 12:49 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Concacaf announces a mens' and womens' Concacaf player of the year award. To be voted for any player representing their senior national team, or playing in a Concacaf league.

Voting from head coaches, captains, media (designated) and fans (online).

First awards in the early new year.

No question Davies would have won in 2020. This year it could be a bit more complicated, I'd say quite so--but as we stand, who is the Concacaf male player of the year so far? Could the Gold Cup be a factor in determining a winner? Or the first rounds of WC qualifying?

https://www.concacaf.com/news/concacaf-launches-new-annual-awards-focused-on-men-s-and-women-s-player-of-the-year-categories/

So far it has to be Jonathan David. One of the most in-form/top players in the French league in 2021 and 4 goals in 4 matches in WCQ.

I've always said before that we were a Davies injury away from not being dangerous. The bittersweetness of his injury, allowed a lot guys to step up and we have shown that we can win, we can perform without 5 of our best players in Davies, David, Larin, Hutch, and Borjan*.

38 minutes ago, Shway said:

I've always said before that we were a Davies injury away from not being dangerous. The bittersweetness of his injury, allowed a lot guys to step up and we have shown that we can win, we can perform without 5 of our best players in Davies, David, Larin, Hutch, and Borjan*.

I thought the same after the Suriname game. But now I realize that feeling was just because we didn’t get a chance to see Buchanan or Hoilett. We have a “next man up” that only two other teams in CONCACAF can boast.

fucking proud of this team. Excited for the hex, so many players have stepped... once Atiba, Wotherspoon, Arfield(maybe) come back... do any of them play? I really liked that trio of Kaye, Oso, and Eustaquio. Also, our defense has not looked too shaby. Gold Cup was just the apetizer, I'm sure not winning it just made the boys hungrier, good, because in a bit over a month they'll have a chance to feast

I watched the entire game.  The standouts were Kaye, Miller, Buchanon, Crepeau, Johnstone, Laryea, Osorio.

I was stunned how good Miller and Crepeau were. I've been anticipating Buchanon's arrival since the Olympic qualifiers and he delivered.

I'm starting to rethink how good a league MLS is.  Is it possible that MLS is actually producing European quality players at young ages and I've been hung up on the perception of MLS 3-5 years ago?    All the guys above will start getting calls if not already from European clubs.  I mean Crepeau had one of the best games a keeper could have against a top team in the world.

2 hours ago, DigzTFC said:

I'm starting to rethink how good a league MLS is.  Is it possible that MLS is actually producing European quality players at young ages and I've been hung up on the perception of MLS 3-5 years ago?    All the guys above will start getting calls if not already from European clubs.  I mean Crepeau had one of the best games a keeper could have against a top team in the world.

Honduras has been breaking our hearts for years with a mostly MLS and local based players dominating our European based players.

7 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Honduras has been breaking our hearts for years with a mostly MLS and local based players dominating our European based players.

Honestly, I get that MLS isn’t a top 5 league (yet) but anyone who thinks it isn’t good enough to produce good players and great youth prospects is probably just a Euro snob.   Guys who consistently perform well in MLS are more capable of playing well on the international stage.