General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

You have to take the UEFA Club Coefficient with a huge grain of salt.

About 10 years ago Cluj went on a good run in Europe for 2 seasons. And Romania ended up being 7th for 2 years (they were previously 25ht). They were top 10 for a bunch of years. And are now back down to earth.

It is measure of how well your best clubs do in Europe, nothing more or less.

There is something to be said for measuring you nation's teams against the best clubs in the world but it really doesn't tell you what a league is top to bottom.

The drop off beyond the top 7 at best and often 2-3 is pretty severe.

That all said you need to measure something and at least it based a lot on head-to-head matches.

Don't blame the chart guys! This is literally what I do for CONCACAF! It is just updated results. No lying or misinformation involved. Yes of course the current positioning isn't going to be used for anything. But it is what it is. France needs to get good enough results to pass Portugal back.

13 hours ago, narduch said:

About 10 years ago Cluj went on a good run in Europe for 2 seasons. And Romania ended up being 7th for 2 years (they were previously 25ht). They were top 10 for a bunch of years. And are now back down to earth.

Didn't Lars play at Cluj at one time?  Just Wikipediaed him, he did play there and a lot more teams than I remembered, now GK coach for Edmonton

Canadians in MLS

Most teams have played between 20 to 22 games so far this season heading into the international break.

For Comparison:

2019 (Gold Cup Year) - 34 games played per team with 33 Canadians receiving minutes in MLS.  31,309 total minutes played.  42 goals scored (10 from Tesho alone).  36 assists provided (8 from Kaye alone)

2020 (Shortened Season) - 23 games played per team with 41 Canadians receiving minutes in MLS.  26,227 total minutes played.  35 goals scored (9 from Akinola alone).  27 assists provided.

2021 (Gold Cup Year) - Average 21.33 games played per team with 43 Canadians have receiving minutes in MLS to Date. 27,767 total minutes played.  34 goals scored.  36 assists provided.

Player Team Position GP GS MP G A
Richie Laryea Toronto RB 18 18 1531 2 0
Russell Teibert Vancouver CM 20 17 1362 0 1
Cristian Gutierrez Vancouver LB 15 15 1319 0 3
Kamal Miller Montreal CB 15 14 1297 0 2
Alistair Johnston Nashville RB 15 15 1270 0 0
Zach Brault-Guillard Montreal RB 19 14 1251 2 3
Mark Anthony Kaye Colorado CM 15 14 1161 1 2
Tesho Akindele Orlando ST 20 14 1144 3 5
Tajon Buchanan New England RW 17 13 1118 6 4
Mathieu Choiniere Montreal CM 14 12 974 1 0
Lucas Cavallini Vancouver ST 12 11 967 3 1
Zorhan Bassong Montreal LB 17 9 920 0 1
Samuel Piette Montreal CM 14 9 911 1 2
Michael Baldisimo Vancouver CM 15 9 909 0 0
Joel Waterman Montreal CB 11 10 889 0 3
Jonathan Osorio Toronto CM 13 10 806 4 0
Liam Fraser Columbus (from Toronto) CM 13 8 767 0 0
Ayo Akinola Toronto ST 11 8 649 3 0
Tyler Pasher Houston ST 11 8 615 4 3
Ralph Priso Toronto CM 11 7 575 1 2
Jay Chapman Miami CM 12 6 563 0 1
Raheem Edwards Los Angeles LW 14 4 453 0 0
Luke Singh Toronto CB 6 5 447 1 0
Ashtone Morgan Salt Lake LB 6 4 368 0 0
Noble Okello Toronto CM 8 5 359 1 0
Jacob Shaffelburg Toronto LW 10 4 352 1 0
Ryan Raposo Vancouver CM 17 2 303 0 2
Clement Bayiha Montreal RB 10 2 281 0 0
Patrick Metcalfe Vancouver CM 7 1 146 0 0
Derek Cornelious Vancouver (to Panetolikos) CB 5 1 144 0 0
Tosaint Ricketts Vancouver ST 9 0 117 0 0
Jayden Nelson Toronto RW 3 2 113 0 0
Jordan Peruzza Toronto (to San Antonio) ST 2 0 64 0 0
Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty Toronto CM 2 0 35 0 1
Kamron Habibullah Vancouver CM 2 0 30 0 0
Theo Bair Vancouver ST 4 0 27 0 0
Rida Zouhir Montreal C 1 0 15 0 0
Marcus Godinho Vancouver RB 1 0 5 0 0
Damiano Pecile Vancouver (to Venezia) CM          
Simon Colyn Vancouver (to SPAL) CM          
Gianfranco Facchineri Vancouver CB          
Matteo Campagna Vancouver CM          
Rocco Romeo Toronto (to Valour) CB          
Julian Dunn-Johnson Toronto CB          
Sean Rea Montreal (to Valour FC) CM          
Tomas Giraldo Montreal (to FC Edmonton) CM          
Karifa Yao Montreal (to Cavalry FC) CB          
Keesean Ferdinand Montreal (to Atletico Ottawa) CB          
Ismael Kone Montreal CM          
Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla Montreal ST          
Jean-Aniel Assi Montreal ST          
Nathan-Dylan Saliba Montreal CM          
Callum Montgomery Minnesota (to San Diego) CB          

Player Team Position GP GS MP S GA
Maxime Crepeau Vancouver GK 16 16 1440 51 22
James Pantemis Montreal GK 9 9 810 23 13
Sebastian Breza Montreal (from Bologna) GK 5 5 450 13 5
Thomas Hasal Vancouver GK 5 5 450 11 9
Dayne St Clair Minnesota GK 4 4 360 11 10
Greg Ranjitsingh Philadelphia GK          
Jonathan Sirois Montreal (to Valour FC) GK          
Isaac Boehmer Vancouver GK          
Edited by Corazon

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I've only been following the national team closely for a couple of years now and had a question for those that have been here a while. Are there any dual nationals from the Cristante/Tomori "era" or even before that that we lost out on who you think would have been good enough for this current team?

Cristante and Tomori 😉

I think our biggest losses were Hargreaves, Jonathan De Guzman, and Begovic. 

For 2006, we finished dead last in our group of death, but could have sent out: Begovic, Brennan, De Vos, McKenna, Stalteri, Hargreaves, Julian, Hutch, Jonathan, Radzinski. Dero coming off the bench...

I feel like those guys could have finished above Guatemala. :)

This does bring up an important point: We've produced great players for years. Great players raised in Canada (not Cristante). We never had leadership at the CSA/Manager level to bring everything together. 

I know you guys probably think I'm super woke, so I don't want to disappoint, but honestly... When Herdman was hired, Oz fired, I was like WTF? The women's coach? Whoever had the guts to make that call also deserves some major credit. The CSA is night and fucking day from what we were used to with Kevan Pipe.

People always make such a stink about the hiring process of Herdman, and to be honest I wasn't super clued in about it at the time, I just thought it was an interesting hire and heard some of the controversies over it. But does anyone honestly know what actually happened in that process, or are people just going off of rumours, second-hand information and speculation? Because it seems like a pretty fucking good decision in hindsight. And if it was a good decision, how the fuck does it matter how that decision came about? If Herdman saw an opportunity, had a clear vision and plan and did what was necessary to be able to execute it, and is now successfully executing it, where is the issue in that? Means to an end and all that. If you hear fans of other countries talk about Herdman it's nothing but huge compliments to him, including USA and Mexico fans. Oddly enough, it's only some of the armchair "experts" in our own support that continue to cry sour grapes.

1 hour ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I've only been following the national team closely for a couple of years now and had a question for those that have been here a while. Are there any dual nationals from the Cristante/Tomori "era" or even before that that we lost out on who you think would have been good enough for this current team?

As mentioned above.....Whorgreaves was with Bayern/Man city played for England in WC, Jon Deguz was a La Liga, EPL, BUNDA and Series A starter and played for Holland in WC, Assovic was an EPL keeper for a dozen years and played for Bosnia in the WC.....

I dont doubt that if either Assovic or Deguz had committed, they would be contenders to be in our all time top 11.  Jonathon>Julian DGuz  and Begovic>=Forrest.  If all 3 had committed, we would have made the WC at least once through the mid 00's to now.  And the snowball effect of MLS, CPL, Davies David etc etc that we are seeing now, would have happened 10 years ago.  

I know we talk about the lost teams of the 2000s but I am curious though if we had John van 't Schip ( Winger played for Ajax, Genoa and Holland 1986-1995) and Jimmy Nicholl ( Manchester United and Rangers and Northern Ireland (1976-86 ) and others- 1974-96). I wonder if they decided to playing for Canada during the 80s and early 90s would have been able to get to more world cups or would we have done better in World Cup 86 ? Interesting thought

plus both should be managing Canada right now  

Edited by SpecialK

One hundred percent.  Crappy cap tie, no interest currently in spite of playing for Italian giant, and a chance to start for one of the home nations in the 2026 World Cup.  Yeah he’s thought about it, and I can’t wait til the next time he is invited to an England team as we will know not only whether he thought about it but if he is gonna join us.

10 minutes ago, Dinozotti said:

I wonder if Tomori will ever even think about switching to Canada

No one can answer that question except for Toto. However, we can stack the odds in our favour by qualifying for the WC. Another point on our side. We'll have some high quality players on the team: Davies, Buchanan, Eustaquio, David, Laryea and Larin. One of the reasons Tomori would pick England over the Canada of the past is the opportunity to play with excellent team mates. We can offer him this now. A third reason is if England continues with their past bias and does not select him for 2022 that means two trips to the WC with Canada or one (maybe) with England.

Also, I wonder how much the racist rants by some English fans after the Euros will affect him?

Edited by Sal333

On 9/9/2021 at 8:32 PM, SpecialK said:

plus both should be managing Canada right now  

As someone who also follows the team van't Schip currently manages, I'll take a pass, thanks.  If we thought Benito Floros' starting XI was out of left field... 😄

He did lead them to a big win the other day, so there's that.

It would probably never happen but idea 

U20-23 match vs Spain U20-23 in Ottawa. Plus if CSA/CPL/Athletico could get Spain to add some of the CPL Spanish players like Soto, I think it would be amazing for everyone ! For the CPL, the Canadian program. Spain youth team is amazing so there is a good chance we can lure those young dual nationals. Thoughts anyone ? 

Edited by SpecialK

51 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

6 Canadians starting for Montreal tonight. None for Toronto. Both games being shown at the same time on TSN. As a Canada fan, how could anyone watch Toronto?

I was just gonna say TFC is starting 6, technically 7 Americans tonight. I’m actually hoping we lose this one, then again on the 22nd (where I’ll be in the stands with the York supporters). 

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

6 Canadians starting for Montreal tonight. None for Toronto. Both games being shown at the same time on TSN. As a Canada fan, how could anyone watch Toronto?

Yeah, Nancy, the manager, and Renaud, the sporting director, are good that way.