General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

On 9/9/2021 at 3:05 PM, Bison44 said:

As mentioned above.....Whorgreaves was with Bayern/Man city played for England in WC, Jon Deguz was a La Liga, EPL, BUNDA and Series A starter and played for Holland in WC, Assovic was an EPL keeper for a dozen years and played for Bosnia in the WC.....

I dont doubt that if either Assovic or Deguz had committed, they would be contenders to be in our all time top 11.  Jonathon>Julian DGuz  and Begovic>=Forrest.  If all 3 had committed, we would have made the WC at least once through the mid 00's to now.  And the snowball effect of MLS, CPL, Davies David etc etc that we are seeing now, would have happened 10 years ago.  

Begovic is/was not better than Forrest and the better De Guzman, by far, played for Canada. 

I think you simply never watched either De Guzman play regularly. 

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

I was just gonna say TFC is starting 6, technically 7 Americans tonight. I’m actually hoping we lose this one, then again on the 22nd (where I’ll be in the stands with the York supporters). 

Its laughable.

They play more Americans than American MLS clubs.

This board has a strange obsession with how many of the non-Canadians at TFC are American. For the purposes of CanCon, the issue for TFC is not playing enough Canadians, not how many players are American.

For reference, TFC currently has 11 Canadians on the first-team roster, Vancouver has 12 and Montreal leads with 13. That's hardly much of a difference in terms of roster spots taken, but where the difference shows up is in playing time.

It doesn't really matter whether the non-Canadian players getting on the field for TFC are American, Bolivian or Martian, or at least it shouldn't (except here, for some reason). What matters is getting more Canadians to play — and succeed. On Montreal can say they've done that this season. And even that is TBD, given how Montreal's on the playoff bubble at the moment.

56 minutes ago, narduch said:

On the topic of Americans at Canadian MLS squads, Montreal and Vancouver both only have 3 Americans each!

TFC are abusing this loophole in the rules. CSA should step up and do something about it.

The funniest part..

they have more Canadian starters and homegrowns and are doing better than TFC over the past 1.5 years while spending way less on salaries.

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

The funniest part..

they have more Canadian starters and homegrowns and are doing better than TFC over the past 1.5 years while spending way less on salaries.

Neither Montreal nor Vancouver did better than TFC last season, which I assume is part of the 1.5 years.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

This board has a strange obsession with how many of the non-Canadians at TFC are American. For the purposes of CanCon, the issue for TFC is not playing enough Canadians, not how many players are American.

For reference, TFC currently has 11 Canadians on the first-team roster, Vancouver has 12 and Montreal leads with 13. That's hardly much of a difference in terms of roster spots taken, but where the difference shows up is in playing time.

It doesn't really matter whether the non-Canadian players getting on the field for TFC are American, Bolivian or Martian, or at least it shouldn't (except here, for some reason). What matters is getting more Canadians to play, and succeed. On Montreal can say they've done that this season. And even that is TBD, given how Montreal's on the playoff bubble at the moment.

get over it..you're never going to win that argument regardless of logic. Most of us see an American front office and journeymen American players getting minutes over young Canadians and the fact that TFC continues to do so at this stage in their disastorus seasons just compounds that narrative. Montreal may be on the bubble but they still have performed way better than TFC at a  fraction of the payroll. 

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

Sorry I meant year, since like last august.

Nope. TFC had a 9-game unbeaten run (7W, 2D) between Sept. 9 and Oct. 18 last year. All away from BMO Field. They fell apart in late October onward.

The team is historically terrible this year, which has tainted people's memories of last season as well.

And yes, TFC needs to use more of the Canadians throughout the rest of the season. I suspect Okello will get into the next match as he was suspended yesterday, and Laryea & Osorio will get their usual shift. I'd personally like to see Marshall-Rutty in his natural position for at least a half on Tuesday.

The US are our natural rivals in many things, not just sport, TFC lost me when they became Americanized, it did coincide with increased success, that was from by far the highest payroll in the league but that is another discussion! I am not anti American, I have a brother and many, many relatives living there, I lived in Florida for a while myself! This is a Canadian Soccer Supporters board and like any other similar site in the world opinions may be slanted, I can't warm up to TFC being an outlet for our closest Concacaf rival to form a good part of the roster at the expense of Canadians, no logical argument will change my mind on this one!