General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

52 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm a bit surprised this thread can go on and on about Canucks in MLS while ignoring we are radically discriminated by league rules. There is no reciprocity, and the CSA doesn't have the gumption to lobby for it. USNT players are more benefitted by Canadian MLS teams than the reverse. 

How many Canada core players have mostly developed on US MLS teams? 

MLS is at best a mediocre deal for the CMNT. Our best plan involves direct paths to Europe or dual nationals, with rather few exceptions. CPL isn't there yet either. 

Labour or contractual reciprocity would be a major step. 

I think most people have just given up on it.  It is widely recognized and a point of contention but unless and until Garber decides to do something about it, it won’t change.  MLS is first and foremost a league with ties to the USSF.  Canadian player development is not part of its mandate.  

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm a bit surprised this thread can go on and on about Canucks in MLS while ignoring we are radically discriminated by league rules. There is no reciprocity, and the CSA doesn't have the gumption to lobby for it. USNT players are more benefitted by Canadian MLS teams than the reverse. 

How many Canada core players have mostly developed on US MLS teams? 

MLS is at best a mediocre deal for the CMNT. Our best plan involves direct paths to Europe or dual nationals, with rather few exceptions. CPL isn't there yet either. 

Labour or contractual reciprocity would be a major step. 

CSA should grow some balls and no longer allow Americans to count as domestics on the 3 Canadian MLS teams

I understand the rules around Canadian players counting as domestic players are not the best, but they are better since 2016 than before. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_International_Roster_Slots 

A logical next step would be to get MLS to add the Canadian Premier League to the MLS and USL as leagues that players can sign their first pro contract.  I guess they really penalize players who don’t sign their first pro contract with an MLS team.  Now I can see how the Canadian teams can bully their academy players into signing a pro contract and prevent them from going abroad, as it makes it easier for them to get picked up if they ever came back to the MLS.  

I’m wondering, would most US players qualify as an “International Homegrown domestics” if MLS did change the rules for Canadian teams to mirror the rules for the US ones?  

We need the execs/management of each franchise to make it a priority to develop the Canadian talent they recruit to the academy.  I blame TFC, not the MLS for their awful youth development track record. A good start would be hiring a Canadian GM.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

CSA should grow some balls and no longer allow Americans to count as domestics on the 3 Canadian MLS teams

It should be am ongoing point of negotiation in everything. Not something you give up on. For the WC bid. For Nations League approval. For Concacaf club competitions. Keep it in the table and pick away on it. 

Concacaf and FIFA allow an exception with MLS, so you negotiate on the basis of this exceptionality. 

Yes I agree but in the meantime , remember that in addition to the three MLS academies there are also other approved Canadian academies that if a Canadian player was developed in ,  those players will also count as domestics on American MLS teams . Moreover, if a Canadian player’s first pro contract is with an MLS team no matter if it’s a Canadian MLS team or an American one then that player is considered a domestic player in all MLS teams. Therefore, the way things stand it’s pretty hard for a Canadian not to be considered a domestic player on American MLS teams. Ideally just make Canadian players domestic regardless of any criteria , but even as things stand now the vast majority of Canadian players are domestic and the vast majority that will join the league in the future will be .

Edited by SoccMan

You know what I`m looking forward to, seeing all those famous historical club names when we post our NT roster.  I don`t know if any of those teams like Red Star, Brugge or Reading are any better than MLS clubs but I'm a snob and I think it looks good on us.  Damn, still too many MLS names :)

Here is my totally unscientific and non factual list, who am I missing? (Cavallini and Akinola out)  Who will be the third keeper?  Wow, imagine us saying that!  Pantemis, St Clair or Leutwiler.  When will The Stache get a bigger club name?

Sam Adekugbe TUR / Hatayspor
Tesho Akindele USA / Orlando City SC
Scott Arfield SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
Milan Borjan SBA / Red Star Belgrade
Zachary Brault-Guillard CAN / CF Montréal
Tajon Buchanan BEL / Club Brugge
Theo Corbeanu ENG / Sheffield Wednesday
Derek Cornelius GRE / Panetolikos
Maxime Crépeau CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Jonathan David FRA / Lille OSC
Alphonso Davies GER / FC Bayern München
Stephen Eustáquio POR / FC Paços de Ferreira
Liam Fraser USA / Columbus Crew SC
Doneil Henry KOR / Suwon Samsung Bluewings
Junior Hoilett ENG / Reading FC
Atiba Hutchinson TUR / Beşiktaş JK
Alistair Johnston USA / Nashville SC
Mark-Anthony Kaye USA / Colorado Rapids
Scott Kennedy GER / SSV Jahn Regensburg
Cyle Larin TUR / Beşiktaş JK
Richie Laryea CAN / Toronto FC
Jayson Leutwiler ENG / Oldham Athletic
Liam Millar SWI / FC Basel
Kamal Miller CAN / CF Montréal
Jonathan Osorio CAN / Toronto FC
James Pantemis CAN / CF Montréal
Samuel Piette CAN / CF Montréal
Dayne St. Clair USA / Minnesota United FC
Steven Vitória POR / Moreirense FC
David Wotherspoon SCO / St. Johnstone FC

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

7 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

It's going to be a very sexy read.  And getting sexier by the week.

Yes, and don't forget the sequel, "National Team 2: The Electric Boogaloo"

Marcelo Flores ENG / Arsenal

Daniel Jebbison ENG / Everton

Ralph Priso ITA / Juventus

Jakeele Marshall-Rutty SPA / Barcelona

(OK, this one is still in the production stages...)

2 hours ago, Metro said:

Yes, and don't forget the sequel, "National Team 2: The Electric Boogaloo"

Marcelo Flores ENG / Arsenal

Daniel Jebbison ENG / Everton

Ralph Priso ITA / Juventus

Jakeele Marshall-Rutty SPA / Barcelona

(OK, this one is still in the production stages...)

I take it his role is going to be played by Weston McKennie?

6 hours ago, Strait Red said:

Portugal has passed France in the UEFA league rankings. 

Thanks for the info @GlassCity

I wonder if this graphic was posted tongue in cheek? The coefficient has been updated live; after Benfica won the Champions League playoff round and got points for that, while Monaco still has to play their second leg tomorrow. It's akin to the level of statistical accuracy when reporters claim a team gained top spot in their league... while having played more games and the previous leader plays the next day. 

23 minutes ago, nazzer said:

I wonder if this graphic was posted tongue in cheek? The coefficient has been updated live; after Benfica won the Champions League playoff round and got points for that, while Monaco still has to play their second leg tomorrow. It's akin to the level of statistical accuracy when reporters claim a team gained top spot in their league... while having played more games and the previous leader plays the next day. 

I was going to say:  it means nothing in the moment.

The 2021/22 numbers are obviously incomplete and are not used to determine anything until this season is finished. 

I believe the website the table comes from is Portuguese.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I was going to say:  it means nothing in the moment.

The 2021/22 numbers are obviously incomplete and are not used to determine anything until this season is finished. 

I believe the website the table comes from is Portuguese.

Ahh, I see. So the portuguese leeague is cherry picking data to look good. Classic use of misinformation. 

12 hours ago, Strait Red said:

Portugal has passed France in the UEFA league rankings. 

Thanks for the info @GlassCity

In all honesty, I’m not sure why it was ever the “top 5 leagues” that everyone talks about. I’ve never considered France to be in the same league as the other 4. I’ve always thought they were closer to Portugal than they are to the top 4. Other than PSG since they started buying so many superstars.