General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

I'll say the ones who were advocating for an A team at the Gold Cup were basically naive about a number of things (and some of this applies to the Olympic qualifying):

1) Not fully aware of the compressed schedules Euro-based players have been playing for over a year

2) Not fully aware that Euro leagues breaks are short - this isn't MLS or NHL with 5 months off

3) Thinking the Gold Cup is more important than it actually is

4) Not thinking too much about the implications for June and fall WCQ

5) National team matches are important but you still need to consider the needs of the clubs and covid for this cycle

Saying that, I gather Davies wanted to play and I assume Larin also. I also assume Herdman probably double/triple asked if they were sure as he has been saying all year not to expect the same players who played in June WCQs.

42 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Just curious who the dipshit fans are in this case?  Is it the ones hoping for the best or the ones doing a victory lap because they can now say "I told you so"?The Internet: doesn't matter what your opinion is so long as you can prove that you were right.

That was me, I suggested that I thought Davies was just a knock, because Herdman made no move to replace him..which I thought he would have if it looked like Davies was out until September. And if it wasnt serious he would wait and see to make a decision at the last moment.   I made the cold uncaring dipshit remark, speculating on the severity of Davies injury.  Much like everyone the last 2-3 days have been speculating on Larin, Ayo's injuries.  Bastards!  

37 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

That was me, I suggested that I thought Davies was just a knock, because Herdman made no move to replace him..which I thought he would have if it looked like Davies was out until September. And if it wasnt serious he would wait and see to make a decision at the last moment.   I made the cold uncaring dipshit remark, speculating on the severity of Davies injury.  Much like everyone the last 2-3 days have been speculating on Larin, Ayo's injuries.  Bastards!  

If that truly was you, then why hasn't your rank changed from a green leaf "Contributor" to a brown dunce cap "Dipshit Fan"?

If there is any way that we can customize the ranks, I definitely vote for that.

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

All without the help of SpursFlu.

See? He's not the monster you all make him out to be. We don't need his help delving into petty fights, verbally tearing each other apart like Sackcloth.

There is literally no need to defend the guy who proudly admits to bullying his own friend for wearing a mask, yet here you are doing it. Again.

I was expecting far more of a B team that was ultimately called and pointed out calling our best team/key players was a risky move ahead of WCQ. I was also the person to suggest that Ricketts might be called up as the injury replacement when speculating who it might be if the all the other options being speculated might not be available from the 60 man list.

As far as I can tell, that makes me a half dipshit, but I'm not sure if its the dip half or the shit half, anyone willing to explain to me which half it is, and why? Answers on a postcard please (just don't send the postcard to me)

Edited by Gian-Luca

These threads are going to be interesting with 5 more days until we play again.  We have been getting treated with constant games but in this current down time most discussions appear to be turning into pissing matches.  Here’s hoping everybody has a great rest of the week and that we all experience an amazing game Sunday with our boys coming out on top!

13 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Didn't Herdman say that doing well in these tournaments is important for dual nats? Whether that's actually true is another matter, but I thought he mentioned that in a pre-tournament press conference (I think he specifically mentioned Marcelo Flores)

I can't imagine that isn't true to some degree. Maybe it means less than we/Herdman think it does, though. The degree to which it matters probably depends on the player as well. Perhaps doing poorly in this tournament has more negative impact than doing well has positive impact?

1 hour ago, red card said:

I also assume Herdman probably double/triple asked if they were sure as he has been saying all year not to expect the same players who played in June WCQs.

Herdman is a cheap car salesman, come on asked double if they’re sure ? Come on. I bet it was to Davies please come and play please we need you ! We need to win this Gold Cup. 

herdman is fighting to keep it job. Period, he needs to prove that he can hack it vs better teams. All he has done is beat Haiti who are a mess and Suriname (who basically had a new team who never played with each other before). He’s only beat the states Once! 
Herdman’s ego is the size of a house. 

2 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Herdman is a cheap car salesman, come on asked double if they’re sure ? Come on. I bet it was to Davies please come and play please we need you ! We need to win this Gold Cup. 

herdman is fighting to keep it job. Period, he needs to prove that he can hack it vs better teams. All he has done is beat Haiti who are a mess and Suriname (who basically had a new team who never played with each other before). He’s only beat the states Once! 
Herdman’s ego is the size of a house. 

Herdman isn’t fighting to keep his job. I get that you don’t like him but FFS you can’t just make shit up.  He has gotten us to the Ocho and a ball won’t be kicked for over a month in that qualification process.  He is on very solid ground right now whether you like it or. It.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Herdman isn’t fighting to keep his job. I get that you don’t like him but FFS you can’t just make shit up.  He has gotten us to the Ocho and a ball won’t be kicked for another month in that qualification process.  He is on very solid ground right now whether you like it or. It.  

This but I'd also add that even if we weren't doing as well as we are he wouldn't be in danger of losing his job. This is the CSA we're talking about - we're not like other nations where we just switch mid qualification. 

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Herdman isn’t fighting to keep his job. I get that you don’t like him but FFS you can’t just make shit up.  He has gotten us to the Ocho and a ball won’t be kicked for over a month in that qualification process.  He is on very solid ground right now whether you like it or. It.  

I would also add that at this stage, even with the loss on Sunday, prefer Herdman to Berhalter. I've never before seen a coach in a press conference responding to a question about why his team got outplayed by the road team opposition come out with "the conditions were tough" as an answer. They are playing at home (something our team hasn't done in nearly two years) in front of a rabid partisan crowd, and they are the ones complaining post-match about how tough the conditions were?

We have a new President so if he had any brains. if Herdman can’t get us into The World Cup he should be gone. Who cares if we got to the 8, we beat a bunch of nobodies,  the standard should be the WC and beating the top CONCACAF teams. Herdman up to now, he hasn’t delivered. I hope that changes. But if Canada loses against Jamaica or Costa Rica big questions will be asked again. Now the CSA and herdman will blame injuries but they have a week and can get new players in. 

herdman wants to prove he can do it because the players he has should be able to. 

Edited by SpecialK

^^^ Wasnt that sad??  We lost the ball too much and it was hard work to win back.  No mention of the other team.  |How about kudos to canada for pinning us in our own end, making us work hard to protect the lead etc??  Because if there was a bright spot for them, other than the win, it was that they kept us from getting so few chances to score for 60+min.  

Herdman is doing a respectable job.

All he did was beat Haiti 3 times in 2021, one of those being away in WCQ which qualified us for the final round. I say that just about wipes the slate clean from the 2019 GC loss to Haiti, wouldn't you say @SpecialK

Not saying you have to like him or NOT think he's a used car salesman, but don't you think beating Haiti 3 times at least brings him back to level ground?

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

We have a new President so if he had any brains. if Herdman can’t get us into WQC he should be gone. Who cares if we got to the 8, we beat nobodies,  the standard should be the WC and beating good CONCACAF teams. Herdman up to now, he hasn’t delivered. I hope that changes. But if Canada loses against Jamaica or Costa Rica big questions will be asked again. Now the CSA and herdman will blame injuries but they have a week and can get new players in. 

herdman wants to prove he can do it because the players he has should be able to. 

He hasn’t delivered up to now?  We are in the Ocho and we are in the QF of the Gold Cup.  What exactly did you want him to do - qualify us more? 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

He hasn’t delivered up to now?  We are in the Ocho and we are in the QF of the Gold Cup.  What exactly did you want him to do - qualify us more? 

Agreed.  Top 4 is a huge mission and almost unattainable.  We all know that.  Doing respectably in the Octo is the success measure.  Top 4 is very very ambitious 

3 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

We have a new President so if he had any brains. if Herdman can’t get us into The World Cup he should be gone. Who cares if we got to the 8, we beat a bunch of nobodies,  the standard should be the WC and beating the the top CONCACAF teams. Herdman up to now, he hasn’t delivered. I hope that changes. But if Canada loses against Jamaica or Costa Rica big questions will be asked again. Now the CSA and herdman will blame injuries but they have a week and can get new players in. 

At least wait a week until you bring the pitchfork out? If we lose to CR or Jamaica it deserves some criticism, regardless of the injuries, because injuries will happen in WCQ and we must beat those teams in the Ocho, no excuses. Also, if we do make the SF with a depleted squad would you then cut Herdman some slack? Has to work both ways, right?

For me not yet. When he beats USA more than a one off, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador Etc. If he can’t beat Mexico I understand because they are VERY good. But we should have won vs a USA C team. 
Yes we are in the final 8 I love it, Haiti yes is a decent team but not at the level of Jamaica etc. We should be beating Haiti regularly. Suriname is interesting because on paper they should be pretty good but overhyped. I wonder if that game would have been different if Suriname has some more games with those players before Canada. 
herdman has done an average job. 

10 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

For me not yet. When he beats USA more than a one off, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador Etc. If he can’t beat Mexico I understand because they are VERY good. But we should have won vs a USA C team. 
Yes we are in the final 8 I love it, Haiti yes is a decent team but not at the level of Jamaica etc. We should be beating Haiti regularly. Suriname is interesting because on paper they should be pretty good but overhyped. I wonder if that game would have been different if Suriname has some more games with those players before Canada. 

We just beat them 3 times in a row in under a month. Not sure what you're looking for wrt Haiti.

I've been a CanMNT fan for only about 15 years, so those longer suffering fans can maybe inject some additional context. But in my experience thus far, Canada used to narrowly beat minnows (like St Kitts/PR in 2014 WCQ), 50/50 to semi-minnows (Cuba in 2012, Martinique in 2013 GC), lose outright to CONCACAF 2nd tier (CR/Honduras/Panama/Jamaica), and lose really outright to the USA/MEX. Now we're demolishing minnows, beating handily semi-minnows, TBD against second tier and competitive with USA (including our only victory in 30 years). We have clearly moved up a tranche. You could argue that Herdman is blessed with generational talent but you can't say that this is the same ol' Canada. 

17 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Fair enough. I would give him a grade of slightly above average myself, because despite the winning streak it's not as if we've been outstanding. We've beaten the teams we should beat, so in one respect that is unremarkable. On the other hand he's taken us beyond the status quo, which is to the final round. You can argue he should with the squad we have on paper, but we've always had a squad on paper for the final round. 

I get that results-wise the jury is still out, but I have been won over by the positive energy coming from the program at the moment, which he is directly responsible for. That, in combination with getting the results that matter, puts him in my good book. I feel confident with him guiding us right now. It feels right to me. 

Another data point for us to mull over in a weeks time. Rooting for him and for Canada.