General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

It's moot, but I wonder what this "debate" looks like if Akinola and Priso didn't suffer season-ending injuries. They are the two youngsters (21 or younger) on Canadian MLS rosters closest to cracking the MNT squad (even though they're both well down the ladder), and they would've continued to get minutes with TFC this season.

I know, I know, I'm not allowed to introduce logic into this discussion. 

4 minutes ago, RS said:

It's moot, but I wonder what this "debate" looks like if Akinola and Priso didn't suffer season-ending injuries. They are the two youngsters (21 or younger) on Canadian MLS rosters closest to cracking the MNT squad (even though they're both well down the ladder), and they would've continued to get minutes with TFC this season.

I know, I know, I'm not allowed to introduce logic into this discussion. 

Sorry this is lame.

This team itself was bragging about their youth movement in the pre season. 

Now 2 injured players means its over?

This team is a joke and needs to get rid of Manning and Curtia ASAP

1 minute ago, narduch said:

This team itself was bragging about their youth movement in the pre season. 

Now 2 injured players means its over?

The team was dumb as hell for bragging about their youth movement if more of the kids weren't ready to seriously step up.

However, their most most MLS-ready U21s being injured was still a huge blow. Take out the two best youngsters from any team and their youth movement is going to suffer.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

This team is a joke and needs to get rid of Manning and Curtia ASAP

This can be true — and it is — without the illogical pile-on about TFC having too many of a certain nationality on the roster.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

This can be true — and it is — without the illogical pile-on about TFC having too many of a certain nationality on the roster.

The fact that they play more Americans than actual American MLS squads tells you all you need to know about this management team.

They are lazy and not creative at finding new talent 

I can't wait until both Manning and Curtis are gone.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

The fact that they play more Americans than actual American MLS squads tells you all you need to know about this management team.

They are lazy and not creative at finding new talent 

That's too simplistic. They won a treble (and nearly a quadruple) with six American starters. They also finished second in the league last year with just as many, if not more.

The real problem is that the current regime hasn't been able to move on from them in a timely manner. And many/most of the reinforcements have been downgrades.

Focusing this back to MNT I think yesterday was the lowest CanCon we'll see from TFC this season. Osorio and Laryea will continue to be starters (at the bare minimum), and Okello and JMR will likely get more minutes through the end of the year.

I'm not sure what Perruzza's done to be yo-yoed between USL and MLS, but he absolutely deserves to jump ahead of Mullins and Dwyer at this point. Shaffelburg deserves a shot to prove he's more than just a speed merchant.

The rest I'm unconvinced on, but part of that is lack of opportunity (Singh aside). Guys like Nelson should be dominating USL1 at this point, but they're not. Is that because of the lack of MLS playing time or because they simply can't make the step up yet? The only way to find out is to give them time over the next 6 weeks.

8 hours ago, gator said:

The US are our natural rivals in many things, not just sport, TFC lost me when they became Americanized, it did coincide with increased success, that was from by far the highest payroll in the league but that is another discussion! I am not anti American, I have a brother and many, many relatives living there, I lived in Florida for a while myself! This is a Canadian Soccer Supporters board and like any other similar site in the world opinions may be slanted, I can't warm up to TFC being an outlet for our closest Concacaf rival to form a good part of the roster at the expense of Canadians, no logical argument will change my mind on this one!

I've yet to hear a logical argument yet.  And saying they won in 2017 with lots of americans (Bradley/Altidore, Morrow, Moor) who were actually good isnt an argument.  The guys they are trotting out now are not good enough and for the most part they are the american vets who a lot of us never did have much use for. 

We have overpaid big time on the good ones (Bradley/Jozy), resigned others to huge undeserved contracts (Delgado/Bono), They have taken flyers on Terrance Boyd, Dwyer, Mullins..and they were terrible.  We picked up Gonzalez on what appears to be the steep decline of his career.  I thought with Vanney gone some of the nepotism (old USMNT cronies and relatives) would be gone and at least we would get rid of Zav...how hard is it to scan the globe and bring in an improvement over him.  But it must go deeper up the front office.  We are only using 7 INT roster spots....6 really cause you could drop Endoh and no one would notice.  If TFC can shed a bunch of dead weight, use a little wider lens when searching for the upgrades and not bury the youth on the team, they'll stop getting stick from longtime supporters.  Oh, and if they do bring in 3-4 more american vets next year to plug holes..at least let them be good eh???  

This is good news in long term as CONCACAF continues to improve /streamline the process.  They have done it for Women's which has provided a clear view of the tournaments for next 4 years...I can imagine that CONCACAF will reveal the plan for MNT after the Qatar World Cup.  IMHO, they will continue to do that as they work for U-17 and U-15.

The key message is that CONCACAF is increasing more opportunities for this game to grow and help the youth to aim high.

12 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Does anyone else have an issue on Twitter where when you click the #CanMNT hashtag you don't actually get tweets with the hashtag? All I get are tweets with "Can" in them and nothing related at all to Canadian soccer.

Yes I have this problem too

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Does anyone else have an issue on Twitter where when you click the #CanMNT hashtag you don't actually get tweets with the hashtag? All I get are tweets with "Can" in them and nothing related at all to Canadian soccer.

I had this exact problem for about 3 weeks and then about a week ago it fixed itself. To be clear I didn't do anything; it just started working again.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille