CPL TV Contract

1 hour ago, matty said:

just a thought, never watched but how is kaylyn kyle as a broadcaster? i know she's experienced and like many wnt members familiar to the canadian public.

Hello she won a Bronze Medal for Canada, 2 World Cups, a Pan Am Gold and had over 100 Caps for Team Canada.  That makes her more qualified for broadcasting than any men’s players.  

Here she is promoting fitness and her Olympic success.

A1u45wGCIAEWtZw.jpg

Edited by baulderdash77

For lack of a better term, I really like "British Football culture" but ee definitely get more than our fair share. I do like for instance ESPNfc has 2 brits, someone from the Caribbean(i think Trini), and a South American voice(I think Colombian) all with a certain amount of experience in USA soccer. Much like life, it makes for a funner more interesting conversation. I really dont care about the skin colour but as the CPL takes shape it would be nice to see this type of media landscape play out. 

19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think it would be somewhat underwhelming if we were to address a perceived lack of diversity by backing a blonde bikini model.  Seems like it might miss the mark.

She also markets Under Armour and Focus Daily Contact lenses.  She’s very marketable. Don’t you watch TV commercials?

At least we have a woman broadcasting Soccer in Canada now.

Erin Andrews got her start as a cheerleader for the University of Florida.  Kaylyn Kyle was at least a legitimately a world class athlete.

Edited by baulderdash77

I have heard KK doing Canada Games and u17 Canada WC matches. And she is no tv analyst. 

You can tell she doesn't do a lot of prep. Repeats same lines over, not crisp in her delivery, hasn't given much thought about tactics, and hasn't done much homework on the opposition. And like many former players who still have friends on the teams, she skirts levelling any real critiques. 

Clare Rustad is the much superior analyst but given she is in the medical field, she only does a match once in a while. 

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think it would be somewhat underwhelming if we were to address a perceived lack of diversity by backing a blonde bikini model.  Seems like it might miss the mark.

i think sighting kyle as a bikini model misses the mark as well, considering she's an olympic medalist who's played at the highest levels of the women's game.  i mention her because that is another route if you are looking to mix up who you have as a commentator/analyst, especially as there are a number of women in the fanbase for soccer in canada. i know there are other women in the broadcast field with canwnt backgrounds, she just happened to be the first i thought of.

2 minutes ago, red card said:

I have heard KK doing Canada Games and u17 Canada WC matches. And she is no tv analyst. 

You can tell she doesn't do a lot of prep. Repeats same lines over, not crisp in her delivery, hasn't given much thought about tactics, and hasn't done much homework on the opposition. And like many former players who still have friends on the teams, she skirts levelling any real critiques. 

Clare Rustad is the much superior analyst but given she is in the medical field, she only does a match once in a while. 

thanks for letting me know, rustad's name escaped me in the original post.

41 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

For lack of a better term, I really like "British Football culture" but ee definitely get more than our fair share. I do like for instance ESPNfc has 2 brits, someone from the Caribbean(i think Trini), and a South American voice(I think Colombian) all with a certain amount of experience in USA soccer. Much like life, it makes for a funner more interesting conversation. I really dont care about the skin colour but as the CPL takes shape it would be nice to see this type of media landscape play out. 

Kevin McKenna was doing co-commentary for the Bayern-'Gladbach game for FS2 yesterday. The feed was picked up by Sportsnet World.

50 minutes ago, matty said:

i think sighting kyle as a bikini model misses the mark as well, considering she's an olympic medalist who's played at the highest levels of the women's game.  i mention her because that is another route if you are looking to mix up who you have as a commentator/analyst, especially as there are a number of women in the fanbase for soccer in canada. i know there are other women in the broadcast field with canwnt backgrounds, she just happened to be the first i thought of.

Fair enough.  But I don't think she is a good commentator.  

My main point is that if the broader topic is a lack of diversity in soccer broadcasting in this country, I don't see her as the solution.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Hello she won a Bronze Medal for Canada, 2 World Cups, a Pan Am Gold and had over 100 Caps for Team Canada.  That makes her more qualified for broadcasting than any men’s players.  

Here she is promoting fitness and her Olympic success.

A1u45wGCIAEWtZw.jpg

Wow... I like that photo!

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

My main point is that if the broader topic is a lack of diversity in soccer broadcasting in this country, I don't see her as the solution.

totally dig not liking her as a commentator and just to be clear i was simply curious as to how she had done previously and am not advocating her or anything. i do think if the cpl were trying to bring in diversity into canadian soccer broadcasting, a female analyst or commentator is a fair avenue and could be one worth exploring.

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

it isn't and it never should be. That doesn't just go for soccer broadcasting but everything else in this world.

Edited by Macksam

16 minutes ago, Macksam said:

it isn't and it never should be. That doesn't just go for soccer broadcasting but everything else in this world.

In a perfect world you're right.  Talent (and hard work) would just win out.

In this world, and in this culture, with an age-old tradition of wealthy white men handing plum positions to the sons of other wealthy white men, or companies paying men more for the same position than equally qualified women, diversity in all sectors is a relevant and necessary conversation.

Does it often go overboard?  Absolutely.  Do some people use the issue as a crutch?  Sure. But don't act like there aren't still significant prejudices/old boy's clubs out there.

Whatever hqppend to Kara Lang?  i thought she did a good job when she was on TV.  Christ if we can listen to Caldwell drone on and on in a heavily accented monotone, I'd be willing to give any former national team player who has half a brain and can speak clearly a shot (male/female).  

19 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

In a perfect world you're right.  Talent (and hard work) would just win out.

In this world, and in this culture, with an age-old tradition of wealthy white men handing plum positions to the sons of other wealthy white men, or companies paying men more for the same position than equally qualified women, diversity in all sectors is a relevant and necessary conversation.

Does it often go overboard?  Absolutely.  Do some people use the issue as a crutch?  Sure. But don't act like there aren't still significant prejudices/old boy's clubs out there.

I do have something to say about the bolded but Jamie probably wouldn't like it if I dragged this thread down that proverbial rabbit hole.

Another time.

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Whatever hqppend to Kara Lang?  i thought she did a good job when she was on TV.  Christ if we can listen to Caldwell drone on and on in a heavily accented monotone, I'd be willing to give any former national team player who has half a brain and can speak clearly a shot (male/female).  

I like Kara's commentary (the couple of times I have heard it) a lot more than KK's.

Regarding announcers vs stadium noise, during the Vancouver Olympics, you could turn the announcers off on the website, which I didn't realise until late in the games. That's how I watched the gold medal hockey game and it was fantastic.

That's the only time I can think of being given that option... Really wish is was more prevalent.

28 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

If there’s ever a time for commentary, it’s for a brand new league with players that are unrecognizable to the majority of fans.

Yeah, I love the bio bits, trivia and team news that comes as part of good commentary. 

I don't like the forced nostalgia and continued references to, "In your day..." usually from the non-player commentator who thinks he's being clever or witty.

22 hours ago, C2SKI said:

If there’s ever a time for commentary, it’s for a brand new league with players that are unrecognizable to the majority of fans.

I'm not saying not have them, I'm saying give us a choice. 

3 minutes ago, admin said:

Yes. My detailed double blind study has led to a concrete and indisputable conclusion that this is in fact the case.

but if there's more of you why is there only 1 socceronly on this site?