CPL TV Contract

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

The CPL has been repeatedly unclear on things for ages.  I don't know why people are surprised by them doing more of the same now.  Still waiting to hear what the salary cap is.

Not surprised that they haven’t released details, surprised at the vocabulary. 

I don’t suspect they’ll release the salary cap info but they will have to divulge broadcast details at some point.

18 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The CPL has been repeatedly unclear on things for ages.  I don't know why people are surprised by them doing more of the same now.  Still waiting to hear what the salary cap is.

I suspect you will be waiting for some time.  The league clearly has no intention of discussing salaries publicly.   

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

2 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

I suspect you will be waiting for some time.  The league clearly has no intention of discussing salaries publicly.   

They don't need to.  But when you're hiding your rules, salary cap, etc, well that leads to "of course the LA Galaxy aren't cheating with the salary cap because you didn't know about this rule we're just now disclosing".  You've already seen 3 teams favoured in a few situations for being "first".  Might be nice to know that teams weren't being favoured in other areas.

15 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They don't need to.  But when you're hiding your rules, salary cap, etc, well that leads to "of course the LA Galaxy aren't cheating with the salary cap because you didn't know about this rule we're just now disclosing".  You've already seen 3 teams favoured in a few situations for being "first".  Might be nice to know that teams weren't being favoured in other areas.

Sounds like you are trying really hard to make something out of nothing.

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I find it odd that people are so willing to blindly trust on things that are public knowledge for major sports leagues.

As a season ticket holder, I don't really care what the salary cap is.  The league has chosen not to make that public at this time, and I have no problem with that.  I doubt most people who are supporting the league have any problem with this.  Valour's roster looks just fine to me.

LA Galaxy........sorry, I don't follow the American league.  

1 minute ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

As a season ticket holder, I don't really care what the salary cap is.  The league has chosen not to make that public at this time, and I have no problem with that.  I doubt most people who are supporting the league have any problem with this.  Valour's roster looks just fine to me.

LA Galaxy........sorry, I don't follow the American league.  

I think you're right. Most don't care...now but in a few years, should the gap between teams become overly noticeable, I think the desire to know what the is cap might become large among fans (it's already fairly large now if you follow chatter here and Reddit).

Also fuck off with that "the American League" crap lol. If you follow Canadian soccer, you keep track of the Canadian MLS teams. It's a good diss but come on. ;) 

39 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I find it odd that people are so willing to blindly trust on things that are public knowledge for major sports leagues.

I don't think it's blindly trust as much as 'alright I guess this is it'. CPL is wonky for info but ultimately it is a private venture. I'm also sure the info that will come out in the not to distant future.

I do think there's a sort of "CPL Cult" but that more linked to the Ottawa Fury must drown in blood crew that spews conspiracies but it's not on display here at all.

On the matter of broadcast, it's no longer the CPL's game so it isn't correct to assume they themselves have the full picture anymore on this matter.

Edited by matty

22 minutes ago, matty said:

I don't think it's blindly trust as much as 'alright I guess this is it'. CPL is wonky for info but ultimately it is a private venture. I'm also sure the info that will come out in the not to distant future.

I do think there's a sort of "CPL Cult" but that more linked to the Ottawa Fury must drown in blood crew that spews conspiracies but it's not on display here at all.

On the matter of broadcast, it's no longer the CPL's game so it isn't correct to assume they themselves have the full picture anymore on this matter.

They could let us know how much the MediaPro deal is for, instead of just saying "trust us, it's HUGE".  Or having their lackeys say "it's jaw-dropping".

You're right.  It's a private venture and they don't have to tell us anything.  But not letting the fans know the basics is how the MLS operates, and considering how many here go out of their way to say "this league is better than MLS" (see: I don't follow the American League", I'd think they'd be a little more concerned about the CPL following in it's tracks.

You can be happy and excited for the league and still question them on things.  It doesn't have to be blind trust the way some people here sure are.

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They could let us know how much the MediaPro deal is for, instead of just saying "trust us, it's HUGE".  Or having their lackeys say "it's jaw-dropping".

You're right.  It's a private venture and they don't have to tell us anything.  But not letting the fans know the basics is how the MLS operates, and considering how many here go out of their way to say "this league is better than MLS" (see: I don't follow the American League", I'd think they'd be a little more concerned about the CPL following in it's tracks.

You can be happy and excited for the league and still question them on things.  It doesn't have to be blind trust the way some people here sure are.

It's reportedly part of a $200m package deal and it's possible they legally can't disclose too much. Groups like MediaPro and DAZN (or any number of digital media companies) pay loads but don't like numbers getting out when it comes to their deals or memberships. It actually can damage them. I think knowing that $200m number and that CPL got a big amount might just be all we see publically for a while.

I agree with your second point and think I expressed that above when I replied to Fury.

Fully agree on the 3rd thing, I simply think we've reached the end of a lot of roads regarding CPL info for now.

Edited by matty

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

What am I blindly trusting? That there actually is a salary cap? If that is what you mean, isn't a cap more important to the league than it is to me personally? So I'm blindly trusting that the CPL isn't trying to self destruct? Yep, I'll hold my hand up to that.

Edited by dsqpr

56 minutes ago, matty said:

Also fuck off with that "the American League" crap lol. If you follow Canadian soccer, you keep track of the Canadian MLS teams. It's a good diss but come on. ;) 

MLS can kiss my ass.  I gave up on the American league years ago, when it became obvious their only interest in Canada was having our lucrative markets.  I would not support a foreign league that treated Canadians like second class citizens.  They lost my support years ago.  If I'm going to follow a foreign league, I'll follow a good one in Europe that has promotion-relegation and better quality play.  

6 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

MLS can kiss my ass.  I gave up on the American league years ago, when it became obvious their only interest in Canada was having our lucrative markets.  I would not support a foreign league that treated Canadians like second class citizens.  They lost my support years ago.  If I'm going to follow a foreign league, I'll follow a good one in Europe that has promotion-relegation and better quality play.  

I didn't say support, you can keep track (of the Canadian teams and players) and not support it with views. Also that ending is the most Eurosnob comment possible and so aggressive with it lol but that said the quality part is true. I actually fucking love it. You do you man :)

Edited by matty

47 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

What am I blindly trusting? That there actually is a salary cap? If that is what you mean, isn't a cap more important to the league than it is to me personally? So I'm blindly trusting that the CPL isn't trying to self destruct? Yep, I'll hold my hand up to that.

The CFL isn't always in the strongest financial position.  But you know what league has had teams violate the salary cap?  The CFL.  You what other league agreed to not spend wildly early on?  The USFL.  Owners are generally successful business people. They hate losing.  And when they see their team losing, sometimes they go out and try to fix it.  So yeah, I'd like to know what the salary cap is.  I'd like to know details, and that the CPL head office is actually enforcing whatever rules they've put in place and all agreed to.  I don't think that's unreasonable to ask or question them on.

4 hours ago, matty said:

It's reportedly part of a $200m package deal...

What was mentioned was an "investment" of that size. As Bob McMahon was able to clarify around a year ago, David Clanachan has also used that term to refer to the total amount of economic activity expected to be associated with the league. It is still not clear what the rights fee involved is.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What was mentioned was an "investment" of that size. As Bob McMahon was able to clarify around a year ago, David Clanachan has also used that term to refer to the total amount of economic activity expected to be associated with the league. It is still not clear what the rights fee involved is.

dude a package is an assortment of things. as it is unclear how the money is being spent using the term package is 100% valid

My point was more that the $200 million number is probably more of a guesstimate on money turning over with factors like a very optimistic rate of league expansion factored in than something carved in stone in legal terms in a deal. It's probably very positive for the league that Mediapro is involved, but it sounds from the latest Paul Beirne podcast interview like CSB have taken a cheque and signed over control, so even the people on the inside may not be fully clear on what's going to happen this summer.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The CFL isn't always in the strongest financial position.  But you know what league has had teams violate the salary cap?  The CFL.  You what other league agreed to not spend wildly early on?  The USFL.  Owners are generally successful business people. They hate losing.  And when they see their team losing, sometimes they go out and try to fix it.  So yeah, I'd like to know what the salary cap is.  I'd like to know details, and that the CPL head office is actually enforcing whatever rules they've put in place and all agreed to.  I don't think that's unreasonable to ask or question them on.

I'd like to know what the salary cap is too, and I agree that it is reasonable to ask. I suppose where we differ is that I think it is just as reasonable for the league to decline to answer.

8 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I'd like to know what the salary cap is too, and I agree that it is reasonable to ask. I suppose where we differ is that I think it is just as reasonable for the league to decline to answer.

Sure, but I think at times that what separates the "major" leagues from the "minor" ones is just how much they are willing to reveal/how much we know.  And when they then decline to answer, it's because it's not as good as they'd like you to think it is.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

My point was more that the $200 million number is probably more of a guesstimate on money turning over with factors like a very optimistic rate of league expansion factored in than something carved in stone in legal terms in a deal. It's probably very positive for the league that Mediapro is involved, but it sounds from the latest Paul Beirne podcast interview like CSB have taken a cheque and signed over control, so even the people on the inside may not be fully clear on what's going to happen this summer.

you can't publish that number as a guesstimate if you are the national post and not say estimate. you're 100% right on the last part.

14 hours ago, matty said:

I didn't say support, you can keep track (of the Canadian teams and players) and not support it with views. Also that ending is the most Eurosnob comment possible and so aggressive with it lol but that said the quality part is true. I actually fucking love it. You do you man :)

You are correct, I could keep track of the few Canadians playing.  But after years of watching promising Canadians rot on the sidelines, frankly I gave up even following the Canucks in this league.  It was like dropping Canadians into the abyss.  

I'll take the English league any day of the week over MLS.  Five divisions of professional clubs, some as old as our country (Nottingham Forest are actually 2 years older than Canada).  The FA Cup, promotion/relegation, battles at both ends of the tables.  You can't beat it.  In comparison,  MLS is the McDonalds of pro soccer.  It's contrived, generic, sterile and most important,......it's not our league.

Eurosnob.......maybe.   I was a season ticket holder 30 years ago in the CSL with the Winnipeg Fury and I'm a Valour season ticket holder today.  Canada first. That is all that really matters.

38 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

You are correct, I could keep track of the few Canadians playing.  But after years of watching promising Canadians rot on the sidelines, frankly I gave up even following the Canucks in this league.  It was like dropping Canadians into the abyss.  

I'll take the English league any day of the week over MLS.  Five divisions of professional clubs, some as old as our country (Nottingham Forest are actually 2 years older than Canada).  The FA Cup, promotion/relegation, battles at both ends of the tables.  You can't beat it.  In comparison,  MLS is the McDonalds of pro soccer.  It's contrived, generic, sterile and most important,......it's not our league.

Eurosnob.......maybe.   I was a season ticket holder 30 years ago in the CSL with the Winnipeg Fury and I'm a Valour season ticket holder today.  Canada first. That is all that really matters.

i highly disagree that pro rel makes soccer anymore valid or entertaining (when it comes to the upper level euro leagues) but have give you props for giving a nice emotional arguement over an unsubstantiated this is what actually works claim

18 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Best battles are usually at the bottom of the table this time of year.  Players are playing for their jobs and wages.

i agree that one is interesting. i think the messy chaos of the playoff format a little more entertaining of a title race 

Edited by matty