CPL TV Contract

So I'm on Consequence of Film's FB page and I see MediaPro mentioned https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/02/woody-allen-new-film-spain-mediapro/?fbclid=IwAR0k7nl3G3gdb8EIC3WwL_evAwemGlbkq8e--jQzH_-PRcEtL36yhJLGfKw

This is not a big deal but I'm curious if anything comes from it given York9 are on a campus. I think it could be possible that both the announcement of the league deal and this production gaining mainstream reporting, with MediaPro in the headlines, are linked.

Edited by matty

If anyone has DAZN i suggest watching the Copa DelRay match between RM and Barca. Its on DAZN but there is a BEIN logo on the screen and i believe this match is produced by MediaPro. The production of this game is so phenomenal. You dont even need to watch the entire game, just watch the tunnel entrance, team introductions, graphics and kickoff to get an idea of what they are about. Really impressive 

31 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If anyone has DAZN i suggest watching the Copa DelRay match between RM and Barca. Its on DAZN but there is a BEIN logo on the screen and i believe this match is produced by MediaPro. The production of this game is so phenomenal. You dont even need to watch the entire game, just watch the tunnel entrance, team introductions, graphics and kickoff to get an idea of what they are about. Really impressive 

I watched it on BeIn on cable TV, great production quality. 

Edited by Ams1984
Spelling

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

In fairness though, they are going to spend more on producing a match between the two biggest teams in the world than they are on our upstart league.  Not denigrating them or anything - just tempering expectations. 

Fair point

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

In fairness though, they are going to spend more on producing a match between the two biggest teams in the world than they are on our upstart league.  Not denigrating them or anything - just tempering expectations. 

For number of cameras, I think you are right.

I can tell you now that the key from MediaPRO will be how they work with the league to get the stadiums all looking sharp, especially colour schemes, thinking of ads, and of seats, as well as colours on constructed features. This could end up being very nice. Although I imagine they'll ease in on it, the second season expect some outlays in stadium upgrading.

Our low stands in CPL will probably mean a few cranes for main cameras. I suppose they'll experiment with some overheads from Spikercams or similar. 

You will also notice that the Spanish productions are very careful how they show fans, except maybe a stand or some people celebrating a goal, or in very well-chosen moments. In any case, you get coaches, some benches, head ref but rarely a linesman, not a lot of spicy close-in field level work, ie in the corners. At the Bernabeu they showed a lot of sad faces in the stands after the third goal, as that was the story and was more interesting than the play by that point, but it is not at all normal. In the middle of a match they never cut to fans for the hell of it, a clásico in this sense is different. 

I also agree that they will likely turn the cameras around and shoot many matches looking at the main or most attractive stand. Also because as high as you might be in main stand at Cavalry or Pacific, it is not enough. 

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I can tell you now that the key from MediaPRO will be how they work with the league to get the stadiums all looking sharp, especially colour schemes, thinking of ads, and of seats, as well as colours on constructed features. This could end up being very nice. Although I imagine they'll ease in on it, the second season expect some outlays in stadium upgrading.

This is one of the biggest improvements I've seen with La Liga broadcasts. When you tune in every stadium is unique but it still feels uniform and professional. 

2 hours ago, ted said:

My source told me that the standard broadcast team would include eight cameras per game.

That's a lot, I'm surprised. I mean, we don't have VAR supporting our refs, so you would have thought you could get away with 5-6, so that is good--and expensive.

The other key for La Liga was to diversify game times to get the Asian market, which means early starts, more natural light and sometimes intense sun, so you get variation that way. Spain has matches starting earlier than EPL or Bundesliga now for this reason. If they are going to show matches in their French package, apart from that being an incentive for more Quebec teams, they have to ensure they are seen late, after any higher profile matches (say after 10 on a Sat, Sun, after Champions on a Wed), but you don't want to do too late---and a Pacific 3.30 start gives you just past midnight, which is still a reasonable hour--I watch MLS on Eurosport after midnight almost always.

In La Liga almost never they show cute girls in the stands. And in Spain you have a lot of women in stands, including younger tourists at matches. Compare that with Euroleague basketball, with all those timeouts, where they do it constantly. Of course in England and some countries, there are way fewer women at matches. 

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You will also notice that the Spanish productions are very careful how they show fans, except maybe a stand or some people celebrating a goal, or in very well-chosen moments. In any case, you get coaches, some benches, head ref but rarely a linesman, not a lot of spicy close-in field level work, ie in the corners. At the Bernabeu they showed a lot of sad faces in the stands after the third goal, as that was the story and was more interesting than the play by that point, but it is not at all normal. In the middle of a match they never cut to fans for the hell of it, a clásico in this sense is different. 

I also agree that they will likely turn the cameras around and shoot many matches looking at the main or most attractive stand. Also because as high as you might be in main stand at Cavalry or Pacific, it is not enough. 

How they capture the stands will be interesting, you want to deliver the perception that this is as high a level of play as you can and it is a desirable product to watch.  Having full stands does wonders for this and conversely showing half empty stands can be a brutal blow.  

A few examples would be TFC in their early years, before stadium expansion. The on field product was bottom of the league but because of the supporters and packed house it was the hottest ticket in town.

It is well known that WWE sells tickets to the hard cam side first when they are unsure about the demand of tickets.  They do a fantastic job of making their shows look like sellouts every single time.  If not for social media posts from fans you wouldn't know that some shows were in front of a half full arena.  

On the other side of the coin you have the Argos.  For years the fan sitting at home can see the attendance struggles very clearly on every single play.  This was made worse since the move to BMO where the seats are red. While the Argos provide a good level of entertainment for the cost of a ticket the camera work doesn't sell a desirable place to be. 

Camera work that shows an vibrant atmosphere full of passionate fans will do wonders for the league.

Smackdown.thumb.jpg.f7f426252c3c630fdbe216fe5b313c87.jpg

argos.jpg.b341afd6fcea4298179fe6aa68cb1e47.jpg

Edited by Stouffvillain
added pictures

11 hours ago, matty said:

did they say on the game itself or total (including on the broadcast team and for pressers)?

Didn't say and I didn't think to follow-up as I was in shock from the $150M figure for the deal. I can paraphrase what they said: Four cameras is what we usually get in Canada, we will have eight per game. My assumption is that was talking about eight cameras aimed at the pitch.

1 minute ago, ted said:

Didn't say and I didn't think to follow-up as I was in shock from the $150M figure for the deal. I can paraphrase what they said: Four cameras is what we usually get in Canada, we will have eight per game. My assumption is that was talking about eight cameras aimed at the pitch.

That's kind of insane if it is the pitch. They're looking at $75k~ a game so I'm curious how they plan to do that cause those are NFL numbers for camera

1 hour ago, matty said:

That's kind of insane if it is the pitch. They're looking at $75k~ a game so I'm curious how they plan to do that cause those are NFL numbers for camera

Which is why we were both impressed.

To be fair that could include two goal cameras mounted inside the nets, and if they take one for the commentators, that would leave three mounted and two sideline "hand helds". 

28 minutes ago, ted said:

Which is why we were both impressed.

To be fair that could include two goal cameras mounted inside the nets, and if they take one for the commentators, that would leave three mounted and two sideline "hand helds". 

Media PRO doesn't tend to show announcers.  In N America we're used to it so they may change. Our pre-game and post games are longer than Spain too. We do on field interviews at the half in MLS which is rare in Europe.

I think you have to adjust to the market while keeping your quality values.

Should we put together a petition where we have an option, I don't even care if it is a PAY option, to watch the game with stadium sound and NO announcers or color commentators.

I would pay for this..... 

No offence to any of the announcer folks reading this, I just want to watch a game in peace with crowd noise.

Just now, admin said:

Should we put together a petition where we have an option, I don't even care if it is a PAY option to watch the game with stadium sound and NO announcers or color commentators.

I would pay for this..... 

No offence to any of the announcer folks reading this, I just want to watch a game in peace with crowd noise.

I thik I have said this before on here, but that was how I watched the entire France WC.  We had one of those big old satellite dishes and I managed to lock onto a direct feed from the stadiums that (presumably) the broadcasters used as a raw feed.  No commentary or added elements - just the live shots and crowd noise.  It was amazing.

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I thik I have said this before on here, but that was how I watched the entire France WC.  We had one of those big old satellite dishes and I managed to lock onto a direct feed from the stadiums that (presumably) the broadcasters used as a raw feed.  No commentary or added elements - just the live shots and crowd noise.  It was amazing.

Oh, god. 

I have a feeling I am going regret this.  

I just activated the apocalypse.... see who notices the gif button.

taylor negron wow GIF