CPL TV Contract

2 hours ago, admin said:

It should change because they are white or because you don't think they are good at what they do?

i mean white british dudes are generally charisma vacuums as of late unless you wanna spend bank...i guess you get what you pay for

Edited by matty

Let's be perfectly clear about something. The (mainly white) British football commentators on UK TV are only slightly better than what's available in Canada. A lobotomised monkey would be better than any of Alan Shearer, Jermaine Jenas, Danny Murphy, Martin Keown, Michael Owen, Steve McManaman, or Ian Wright. Carragher and Gary Neville are usually okay, and occasionally very good. Rio Ferdinand isn't too bad. Gerrard and Lampard were actually pretty good, but have been lost to management this season. During the World Cup, we had the treat of getting Slavan Bilic, who's excellent. Eni Aluko and Alex Scott are better than most. 

So, put me down for crowd noise only, please!

Was watching Huesca-Sevilla today and thought it was a good stadium to look at in terms of CPL, by far the smallest in La Liga, but cozy--capacity is less than 8000. They are last but actually having a good last few months. Here's an overhead, and then a summary of a match from a few weeks ago. This is where we want to be, I'd say.

Image result for huesca estadio

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was watching Huesca-Sevilla today and thought it was a good stadium to look at in terms of CPL, by far the smallest in La Liga, but cozy--capacity is less than 8000. They are last but actually having a good last few months. Here's an overhead, and then a summary of a match from a few weeks ago. This is where we want to be, I'd say.

Image result for huesca estadio

Ironically that video is blocked by MediaPro

Very minor, but a commentor on Reddit said he was told by a "good source" that he should subscribe to DAZN. When asked how "good" the source was, he responded with "League". 

Its flimsy, but I thought I'd report. Not sure if itll be exceptional for exposure but personally itd be great for me since Ill need it for my PL fix next year.

7 minutes ago, Copes said:

Very minor, but a commentor on Reddit said he was told by a "good source" that he should subscribe to DAZN. When asked how "good" the source was, he responded with "League". 

Its flimsy, but I thought I'd report. Not sure if itll be exceptional for exposure but personally itd be great for me since Ill need it for my PL fix next year.

Yeah, the downside is the lack of broad exposure.

The upside (for current non-subscribers like me) is that I will get to see the Champion's League again.

30 minutes ago, Copes said:

i'd guess it would be bein + dazn if they went that route

regarding dazn and exposure https://www.boxingnewsandviews.com/2018/12/19/prominent-journalist-makes-bold-claim-about-dazn-canelo-numbers/

35 minutes ago, Copes said:

One problem with DAZN is getting it shown in bars/pubs legally. A personal account with DAZN is only whats available at the moment in Canada apparently and technically you need a commercial license which isn't available in Canada. I've spoken to some bar owners recently and they absolutely won't show DAZN events yet as they say they don't and can't get the commercial license yet.

Late last year, Integrated Sports Media (IMS) signed an exclusive agreement to distribute DAZN programming to commercial establishments in the USA. Canada needs a similar distributor for DAZN commercial rights ASAP.

5 hours ago, matty said:

i just want a competent commentator with a soul. if we're talking pregame, halftime and post game talking heads who are the best canadians for the job?

Honestly, I'd just like to see the best person for the job, whatever nationality and whatever skin colour: black, white, yellow, red, blue, or Martian green: all good so long as they enhance my match watching experience.

But of course I hope that best person is Canadian. Don't care one whit about skin colour though: I'll leave that to the racists.

Edited by dsqpr

14 hours ago, Vince193 said:

It's all white British guys on TV when it comes to Canadian soccer so that's definitely something that needs to change.

download.jpeg-1.jpg

Edited by dsqpr

^^^Wasn't the least bit bothered by what the guy wrote and I'm white and British originally. It's simply factual that there is massive over-representation of that particular demographic when people get hired to cover soccer in broadcasting terms in Canada and the reasons for it are not necessarily healthy for Canadian soccer because the subliminal message being sent out is that soccer isn't really Canadian.

13 hours ago, matty said:

i'd guess it would be bein + dazn if they went that route...

Mediapro work closely with BeIN Sports around the world and DAZN sub-licences BeIN Sports content in Canada, so think this has been obvious for a while now. If Mediapro are picking up all the production costs as the "investment" involved in exchange for being able to use CanPL coverage as filler context globally for the next decade, the league has done well out of this.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Mediapro work closely with BeIN Sports around the world and DAZN sub-licences BeIN Sports content in Canada, so think this has been obvious for a while now. If Mediapro are picking up all the production costs as the "investment" involved in exchange for being able to use CanPL coverage as filler context globally for the next decade, the league has done well out of this.

The only thing against it is that beIN Canada (tmk) does not work with MediaPro at the moment and DAZN and MediaPro are reportedly feuding in Europe 

14 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Honestly, I'd just like to see the best person for the job, whatever nationality and whatever skin colour: black, white, yellow, red, blue, or Martian green: all good so long as they enhance my match watching experience.

But of course I hope that best person is Canadian. Don't care one whit about skin colour though: I'll leave that to the racists.

Ok we all want the best people , however, maybe indirectly they can try to do something to try to get a bit more people of other races on TV, for example if you want to try and get say more black police officers you still hire the most qualified regardless of race but maybe you try and promote the police profession within the black community for example.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

^^^Wasn't the least bit bothered by what the guy wrote and I'm white and British originally. It's simply factual that there is massive over-representation of that particular demographic when people get hired to cover soccer in broadcasting terms in Canada and the reasons for it are not necessarily healthy for Canadian soccer because the subliminal message being sent out is that soccer isn't really Canadian.

My parents are Brits and I totally agree.  It really hit home during the World Cup final when TSN managed to cram 7 on the same desk for the halftime show.  As expected there was zero difference of opinion on analysis of match incidents.  

I take the point about judging people on their merits but I don't feel all of these guys are.  Steven Caldwell is rubbish and just repeats the same line all game long again and again and again and again. 

"What a save by (insert GK)"

"What a goal by  (name of goalscorer)"

"What a touch by (insert player name)"

"What a pass by (insert player name)"

"What a win for (insert team)"

Have a drink every time he says it and you'll be having your stomach pumped by the 20th minute.      

I think the concept of "race" is a total joke. I think cultural diversity might be more appropriate. As we start to integrate different cultures who in to this countries very new professional environment I would love to see different reference points represented in our soccer media. A guy who does really well with the media in Vancouver and who really seems to enjoy Canada is Felipe. I think as his career winds down, outlets should reach out to him and groom him as a pundit. 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Ok we all want the best people , however, maybe indirectly they can try to do something to try to get a bit more people of other races on TV, for example if you want to try and get say more black police officers you still hire the most qualified regardless of race but maybe you try and promote the police profession within the black community for example.

Or we could just stop focusing on the least dispositive characteristic a person can have - their race. I just don’t get why so many people in my generation are so hyper focused on it. 

2 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Or we could just stop focusing on the least dispositive characteristic a person can have - their race. I just don’t get why so many people in my generation are so hyper focused on it. 

I get want you mean , however, if one for example lives in a city for example  which is very multi race there is nothing wrong with trying to diversify a police force a bit or a newscast a bit by going into different communities and making different communities aware of the different professions that are out there and by making them aware if more people get into certain professions that they might not of been interested at first it’s a good thing . That was my point , yet you still hire the best candidates no matter how they look.

13 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I get want you mean , however, if one for example lives in a city for example  which is very multi race there is nothing wrong with trying to diversify a police force a bit or a newscast a bit by going into different communities and making different communities aware of the different professions that are out there and by making them aware if more people get into certain professions that they might not of been interested at first it’s a good thing . That was my point , yet you still hire the best candidates no matter how they look.

I understand your intentions, I think that you mean well, but I really believe that there is definitely something wrong with that sort of approach. I don’t view residents of Toronto (for example) as divided into groups defined by their immutable characteristics. I’m not a Russian-Spanish-Canadian, I’m a Canadian. I’m not some ‘cross section’ of genetic happenstance first, and a Canadian second. Therefore, I believe that further sub-categorization based on meaningless identity tags, is useless and in fact divisive. 

Despite what modern ‘education’ posits, it is no more or less inherently virtuous to have an all white broadcast team than it would be to have an all Latino, black, or Asian broadcast team. What is desirable is to have the best broadcast team (police force/other profession) regardless of the hue of their pigmentation, the genitals they possess, or their ancestors’ national origins. 

7 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I understand your intentions, I think that you mean well, but I really believe that there is definitely something wrong with that sort of approach. I don’t view residents of Toronto (for example) as divided into groups defined by their immutable characteristics. I’m not a Russian-Spanish-Canadian, I’m a Canadian. I’m not some ‘cross section’ of genetic happenstance first, and a Canadian second. Therefore, I believe that further sub-categorization based on meaningless identity tags, is useless and in fact divisive. 

Despite what modern ‘education’ posits, it is no more or less inherently virtuous to have an all white broadcast team than it would be to have an all Latino, black, or Asian broadcast team. What is desirable is to have the best broadcast team (police force/other profession) regardless of the hue of their pigmentation, the genitals they possess, or their ancestors’ national origins. 

dude remember blow back at this group which has a government organization presenting a trophy named after it