CPL TV Contract

31 minutes ago, admin said:

Should we put together a petition where we have an option, I don't even care if it is a PAY option, to watch the game with stadium sound and NO announcers or color commentators.

I would pay for this..... 

No offence to any of the announcer folks reading this, I just want to watch a game in peace with crowd noise.

That's what I find most important in a good broadcast. The best know not to talk to much. In North America everyone feels like they need to "fill the silence", but sometimes the sound of the game is good.

5 minutes ago, admin said:

soccer GIF

Not too many seasons ago we saw we saw a TIMBERS2 player,  a veteran, do that on a throw in.  So we happily heckled his circus act for the rest of the game. Him being  better with his hands than his feet. You realise there are these US players who still think it's cool when it should have been beaten out of them long ago, like at age 17.

7 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

That's what I find most important in a good broadcast. The best know not to talk to much. In North America everyone feels like they need to "fill the silence", but sometimes the sound of the game is good.

Media PRO in Spain... sorry to sound like a broken record. ...but I do watch...offers no option for just crowd noise but if a regional channel buys in you can get Basque or Catalán.  And many radio options, 3-4, because radio does not pay for exclusive rights for sports here, as it's not considered the game just running information on it: its reporting.

It'd be good to have the radio options in Canada when watching TV (but not for quiet broadcasting).

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You realise there are these US players who still think it's cool when it should have been beaten out of them long ago, like at age 17.

You realise that, done right, it allows a player to throw 30-50% further.

#whatdoesthishavetodwithaTVcontract

11 hours ago, admin said:

Should we put together a petition where we have an option, I don't even care if it is a PAY option, to watch the game with stadium sound and NO announcers or color commentators.

No offence to any of the announcer folks reading this, I just want to watch a game in peace with crowd noise.

That is an indictment of the quality of North American commentators. A good commentator adds a lot of value.

I too would pay good money to not have to listen to Steven Caldwell or Kristian Jack (who ironically are neither North American).

5 hours ago, dsqpr said:

That is an indictment of the quality of North American commentators. A good commentator adds a lot of value.

I too would pay good money to not have to listen to Steven Caldwell or Kristian Jack (who ironically are neither North American).

I hate the notion that because you have a British accent then you must be a soccer expert so let’s put you on tv. 

13 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I hate the notion that because you have a British accent then you must be a soccer expert so let’s put you on tv. 

It's all white British guys on TV when it comes to Canadian soccer so that's definitely something that needs to change.

2 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Nigel Reed covering rugby league takes that to new heights of absurdity. Actually being from the UK originally I've always been skeptical it was soccer he followed in a UK context rather than cricket and rugby union and found it comic more than anything else that he would be hired to cover MLS. Sad thing is though that most TFC fans I ran into back in 2007 took him seriously and saw a former CMNT player like Bob Iarusci who played with the likes of Cruyff, Eusebio and Pele in the NASL as being the joke when they appeared together on the FAN 590, so the broadcasters who make these hiring decisions probably know their audience. Good luck to Nigel Reed, if he can keep getting a pay cheque that way, basically.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

1 hour ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I finally agree with you on something. 

Best announcer I've ever heard was a polite old Jamaican man during the U17 WC qualifiers a couple cycles ago. He wasn't an expert analyst but it was a breath of fresh air to hear something different. 

20 hours ago, admin said:

I remember a number of years ago when the CFL was still on the CBC and a bunch of the CBC broadcast crews were on strike.  The announce teams refused to cross the picket line so the CBC just used the in-game noise, no announcers.  The ratings went up.

3 minutes ago, admin said:

Do we really need the announcers or stadium sound in stereo?

Put one on left, the talking heads on the right.   Let people mix it as the please....

I think this sort of thing could be one of the revolutionizing things of sports content delivered via digital pathways.  Want to hear only stadium noise? Turn off the other audio channels.  Want to see a specific replay from a specific angle? Select that camera from the replay menu.  Etc.  As bandwidth grows constantly, streaming all audio and video feeds for end-user manipulation seems entirely plausible.  

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think this sort of thing could be one of the revolutionizing things of sports content delivered via digital pathways.  Want to hear only stadium noise? Turn off the other audio channels.  Want to see a specific replay from a specific angle? Select that camera from the replay menu.  Etc.  As bandwidth grows constantly, streaming all audio and video feeds for end-user manipulation seems entirely plausible.  

I know I have been dreaming about that for many years.  However, I just don't see it happening.  They just won't give up the control.  Even the internet itself is on a pathway back towards something worse than television. 

2 minutes ago, admin said:

I know I have been dreaming about that for many years.  However, I just don't see it happening.  They just won't give up the control.  Even the internet itself is on a pathway back towards something worse than television. 

I think as long as their revenue streams hard-embedded in the platform it is still possible.  Think about the "revolution" with respect to on-demand TV.  Fewer commercials (if any), pause and restart, watch when you want - these were unheard of a decade or two ago.  I agree that the masters will never give up the elements that protect their bottom line, but I think there are still lots of opportunities for interactivity.