CPL TV Contract

On 3/18/2019 at 6:25 AM, red card said:

I think part of confusion was that TSN showed the men's matches but not the women's. People aren't up to speed on the way the tennis rights are split up between men/women and the Slam events. But this is another step in favour of IPTV as people realize TSN/Sportsnet are largely good only for the major North American pro leagues, curling & US college football/basketball while they don't care much about everything else unless it comes at a cheap/free price.

It was also the first game changer for DAZN in Canada as they smartly made the stream available on twitter. Views are nearly at 500k for full match - though twitter definition for watching video is very loose at only a few seconds.

That doesn't help people who don't use Twitter.  

We used to be able to see WTA matches on somewhat normal TV,  but then when Bouchard decided to become a lunatic, my interest faded in the women's game.  Then suddenly Andreescu bursts onto the scene, knocking Bouchard's relevance into oblivion, and I discover we can't see WTA matches anymore.

Edited by SuperCanuck

9 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Well we'll be getting our first look at a MediaPro broadcast in Canada this Sunday. The CSA press release from yesterday/this morning states that they will be producing the broadcast for Concacaf and TSN/RDS.

More details from https://canpl.ca/article/mediapro-to-produce-canada-vs-french-guiana-to-be-broadcast-on-tsnrds:

MEDIAPRO will produce the national signal for TSN, the Canadian sports network, as well as the international feed for Concacaf, the governing body for soccer in North and Central American and the Caribbean, which is distributing the signal to rights holders around the world.

Sunday’s game will be the first of more than 2500 games that MEDIAPRO will cover live over the course of its 10-year agreement with CSB, for distribution on a range of media outlets.

The TV production team for this weekend’s game comprises an experienced director and producer duo from British Columbia, along with a range of local operators and technicians, who will draw from MEDIAPRO’s 25 years of television production expertise, including 15 years of producing live coverage for Spain’s LaLiga Santander and numerous other high-profile soccer leagues and tournaments across the globe.

The TV coverage for the Canada vs French Guiana game will use state-of the art technology, with large lenses that capture every detail and all of the action, together with digital instant replay and super slow-motion systems, Polecam, Steadicam, Netcams and more.

MEDIAPRO will bring similar standards of live production to all Canadian Premier League matches over the next 10 years – beginning with the CPL season opener on April 27th at Hamilton’s Tim Hortons Field, when Forge FC takes on York9 FC in a match dubbed the 905 Derby, in reference to the telephone area code shared by residents of Hamilton and the York region.

Edited by mpg_29

7 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

More details from https://canpl.ca/article/mediapro-to-produce-canada-vs-french-guiana-to-be-broadcast-on-tsnrds:

MEDIAPRO will produce the national signal for TSN, the Canadian sports network, as well as the international feed for Concacaf, the governing body for soccer in North and Central American and the Caribbean, which is distributing the signal to rights holders around the world.

Sunday’s game will be the first of more than 2500 games that MEDIAPRO will cover live over the course of its 10-year agreement with CSB, for distribution on a range of media outlets.

The TV production team for this weekend’s game comprises an experienced director and producer duo from British Columbia, along with a range of local operators and technicians, who will draw from MEDIAPRO’s 25 years of television production expertise, including 15 years of producing live coverage for Spain’s LaLiga Santander and numerous other high-profile soccer leagues and tournaments across the globe.

The TV coverage for the Canada vs French Guiana game will use state-of the art technology, with large lenses that capture every detail and all of the action, together with digital instant replay and super slow-motion systems, Polecam, Steadicam, Netcams and more.

MEDIAPRO will bring similar standards of live production to all Canadian Premier League matches over the next 10 years – beginning with the CPL season opener on April 27th at Hamilton’s Tim Hortons Field, when Forge FC takes on York9 FC in a match dubbed the 905 Derby, in reference to the telephone area code shared by residents of Hamilton and the York region.

I might be reaching, but to me this seems to be yet more evidence that the CPL will be on TSN. 

10 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I don't remember a NT game broadcast that was produced by TSN/SN or Concacaf that had Polecam or Netcams. Not sure what Steadicam is. 

3 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I might be reaching, but to me this seems to be yet more evidence that the CPL will be on TSN. 

My thoughts exactly. Below is my post from a couple weeks ago. I've also read rumours that this is the case from a seemingly reputable source. 

On 3/10/2019 at 8:03 PM, BuzzAndSting said:

Without any broadcast info for the CanMNT match 2 weeks away I’m starting to wonder if MediaPRO has been in negotiations with a traditional broadcaster to televise the game. TSN seems to be out otherwise we would have seen ads already. I’m guessing at this point we may get a glimpse into the CPL broadcast setup sooner rather than later. As DC and others have already said that games will be streamed on the Centre Circle app I’m thinking that MediaPRO might be going long with negotiations with a traditional broadcaster like CBC or Bein and that this game will be broadcast on that channel. If it was going to be a YouTube/CONCACAF Go broadcast the CSA would have published that already.

9 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

it's worth noting that while the media pro deal changed stuff around the rollins' article never actually was proven incorrect. there's still a decent possibility tsn are going to allow cpl games onto their platforms and mediapro will handle the production end.

yes i'm aware of the "canadian soccer network" thing but given the struggles of solo streaming it seems unlikely this would be the only avenue of reaching the public with cpl.

22 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

So even though I plan to be at the game, I kinda wanna record it to check out their, "standards of live production" to hopefully get a taste of what CanPL games might look like.

More info from Beirne's spot in Edmonton. Odd that the president of the league doesn't have a firm answer as to where these games will be watched other than the default app that has been put forward before. 

MediaPro has acquired the rights for 10 years. They will be looking after the production of all televised games for the CPL, Canadian National Teams and Canadian Championships.

How will you be able to watch your favorite team? Beirne said that he “suspects [games] will be in multiple places. Likely online and over-the-air.” It is up to MediaPro to determine how or who will broadcast the games — themselves or selling the broadcast rights to others

Games will be in high definition with full commentary. Each game will be an eight-camera shoot allowing for multiple views and angles throughout the match.

https://lastwordonsoccer.com/2019/03/21/paul-beirne-cpl-president-meets-with-fc-edmonton-fans-and-supporters/

Edited by BuzzAndSting

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

More info from Beirne's spot in Edmonton. Odd that the president of the league doesn't have a firm answer as to where these games will be watched other than the default app that has been put forward before. 

MediaPro has acquired the rights for 10 years. They will be looking after the production of all televised games for the CPL, Canadian National Teams and Canadian Championships.

How will you be able to watch your favorite team? Beirne said that he “suspects [games] will be in multiple places. Likely online and over-the-air.” It is up to MediaPro to determine how or who will broadcast the games — themselves or selling the broadcast rights to others

Games will be in high definition with full commentary. Each game will be an eight-camera shoot allowing for multiple views and angles throughout the match.

https://lastwordonsoccer.com/2019/03/21/paul-beirne-cpl-president-meets-with-fc-edmonton-fans-and-supporters/

so they have little control it seems over distribution. not a shock given the investment

curious still if 8 cameras is counting goal cams

2 minutes ago, matty said:

so they have little control it seems over distribution. not a shock given the investment

curious still if 8 cameras is counting goal cams

I agree about control but being a month and half away from kickoff it's surprising the president is seemingly unaware of at least the desired plan to broadcast matches.

29 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I agree about control but being a month and half away from kickoff it's surprising the president is seemingly unaware of at least the desired plan to broadcast matches.

I'm sure he's aware of what media pro are up to but likely is not able to give any hints at all from this pointon

If a webstream channel is a big part of the mix, it's surprising that we don't have more info about that yet, because that's a lot less visible to a mainstream audience than something like TSN. Maybe the French Guiana game has been viewed as the opportunity to kick start the launch campaign. If that passes without more being revealed, it will be time to question what is going on.

38 minutes ago, matty said:

I'm sure he's aware of what media pro are up to but likely is not able to give any hints at all from this pointon

Odd choice of words then. Obviously would have been better to say “games will be streamed on our app and MediaPRO are in discussions with traditional over the air broadcasts” or “MediaPRO will have details shortly.” I don’t know purpose it serves to speculate.

28 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Odd choice of words then. Obviously would have been better to say “games will be streamed on our app and MediaPRO are in discussions with traditional over the air broadcasts” or “MediaPRO will have details shortly.” I don’t know purpose it serves to speculate.

likely can't unless mediapro want that info said. this is fully media pro's project now it seems and they control the release of that info. i do agree he should have said "mediapro will have the details" instead of "ummmm i'll speculate" cpl guys do love the fan service (their teasing is kind of annoying me but oh well)

Edited by matty